Author Topic: If Someone would rate my home made Sponsored Magic  (Read 1890 times)

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
If Someone would rate my home made Sponsored Magic
« on: June 12, 2010, 04:59:46 AM »
okay so before i put down the idea a little intro

in one of my campaigns my character has inherited his right eye from his father, called the Eye of Abraxas. His father was Abraxas, who in some legends was a sorcerer or wizard or archmage or "what have you" that delved into ancient, forbidden, or lost magic. Well my character has obtained his father's eye giving him marked by power (the eye is a different color and has a magic symbol in it) and the sight. But i wanted the character to be able to draw power from his father or at least the sources of his fathers magic.

So i created a new type of sponsored magic.

Sponsored Magic: Abraxas [-5]
Description: Your magic comes from Places, Powers, Times, and even Worlds long gone or forgotten, sometimes for the better. Your magic is strong but strange, obviously different but not necessarily or inherintely evil.
Cost: It's -5 because it is more versitle and stronger in it's powers. evocation and thaumaturgy ofcourse can lower the cost (-4 if you have one, -3 if you have both
Benefits: Standard benefits, any debt you call up will likely be used to help further the spread of it’s knowledge so it wont be completely forgotten. It gives a +1 to complexity/ power and +2 to control rolls on any magic that you add a notable touch of ancient, lost, or forbidden power to. Also any magic with those elements added in has a difficulty to lore increased by +2 for anything that would involve lore, such as if someone was trying to assess your magic for a counterspell the difficulty is 2 higher, but it also works for things like rituals so if you had a thaumaturgy ritual that was normally complexity 6 using this power with it would make it complexity 8 (but the benefit of +1 to complexity means you functionally would only need one extra shift than regular). Likely any thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation is viable.

okay so basically i would like people to rate this and tell me if they think i'm being fair about the cost of it and what not. I think it's fair considering thaumautrgy is nigh impossible to do quickly with it but i could be wrong. And if you dont think it works could you please say why. Thanks in advance ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:01:53 AM by Archmage_Cowl »
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: If Someone would rate my home made Sponsored Magic
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:35:54 PM »
What are its limitations and domains?

How do you tie in "ancient lost and forbidden lore?" If you actually need to invoke an aspect related to such for each spell, that would be interesting. Otherwise, this sounds like the trappings of a style of magic, and not a sponsoring power.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:53:34 PM »
its limitations are... odd. Element for evocation wise it does mostly spirit magic, but like you said as long as you can justify other elements via declarations you can do them. thaumaturgy wise they are almost all preceeded by using the sight to view "secrets only he can see" (via opening the sight and using it as declarations) or at least thats how i'm thinking about doing it. it could be really any thaumaturgy at the speed of evocation similar to soulfire though. 

On the sponsored magic note. It's basically lost magical knowledge from other worlds that has gained a sort of existence (kinda like some ley lines, specifically similar to the one in nevermore in the fact it has goals but no sentience) and wants to spread knowledge of its existence so it wont be forgotten.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 06:59:02 PM by Archmage_Cowl »
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 01:26:34 AM »
As an aside, using normal magic, with this background and the aspect "eye of my father, the Archmage Abraxis", and possibly a contacts stunt "eldrich family favor bank" would still be a very cool character, even without a custom sponsored magic system. Good luck with the charter.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 02:14:15 AM »
thanks! ;D i think he'll be tons of fun to play.