Author Topic: Familiars  (Read 4689 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Familiars
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
Oh, well you didn't previously mention the 'seeing through his eyes' part. That's obviously a Power for Item of Power purposes.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
Oh, well you didn't previously mention the 'seeing through his eyes' part. That's obviously a Power for Item of Power purposes.

That's because I don't see it as seeing his eyes - I see it as sharing his awareness.  Which may be splitting hairs, but is why I didn't phrase it that way.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:58 PM »
Ah, okay, there was a bit of confusion there between "my cat can see the supernatural and tells me when he does" and "my cat can see the supernatural so I can see it too".  Initially, Neko, you seemed to be arguing that they were the same thing, which they aren't.  Mouse can sense supernatural evil thingies, but he has to tell Harry (by growling) that he senses something.  This cat lets its owner see the supernatural too, which means it is a power it confers on its owner by way of Item Of Power via the aforementioned "mystic link".

I'm reminded of the example of if the danger sensing lynx from the Amber DRPG rulebook; sure, it could sense danger, but the only way it could tell its owner what was going down was by being a cat - and yeowling and running away!  But if it had conferral of the power onto its owner, well... different story.

EDIT: arg, convergence already achieved.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 07:23:31 PM »
That's because I don't see it as seeing his eyes - I see it as sharing his awareness.  Which may be splitting hairs, but is why I didn't phrase it that way.

Nah, it's cool. We just had a failure to communicate. Those happen.  :)

Offline Kelvor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 10:42:19 PM »
I had this question come up with one of my players last week, and at the time I thought the stunt Animal Companion from Spirit of the Century would work as is.
But after reading this discussion, I'm more leaning towards the Item of Power rules for the Wizard PC that wants a familiar, since I was going to have it confer refinement bonuses.
Another PC also has a cat, but as a Pure Mortal, I wouldn't want to hamper him more but losing his +2 Fate Point Bonus, while at the same time gaining the cat's abilities. I think I'm going to use a suggest modified version of the Animal Companion stunt for that character.

Story-wise, I had introduced these two cats in my last Dresden game (pre-official rules), and I had used one of them as a plot device to give a character another clue. One of the cats was adopted from a deceased Sorcerer, and the other was a stray.
Since I'd established these cats as more than just cats, I decided to give them a bit of history and a magical connection. Since Mouse in the Dresden Files is a scion of or an actual Foo Dog, I wanted to call these cats something from folklore too.
The cats are now identified as The Cheshire Cats. Each cat has an associated element from the standard elements in DFRPG.

Crowley - The black cat adopted from a defeated sorcerer is tied to the Spirit Element. Considering its actions in game previously, it is likely to serve a similar role to Bob, if the player picks the communication option from the Animal Companion Stunt.
Boots - An orange tabby with white markings on its hind legs that look like boots, is tied to the Fire element. The PC will be able to use the cat as a focus for fire spells, adding a minimum of +1 to power. Since the cat can be defeated or driven away from a scene, instead of offering the second +1 from Refinement, the cats presence gives another minor mental consequence box. Another consequence is likely more powerful for a spellcaster than another refinement bonus, but I don't see this to be too big a power disbalance. Plus it gives another character I can threaten with the enemies in game.

The Five Element ties for the cats mean there are likely 3 more familiars out there like them, but I think I'm likely to tie them to antagonists, or offer them as a possibility to other practitioner pcs that get made.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:58 PM »
Any 'familiar' that allows its 'human' to use its powers should require the 'human' to pay Refresh for it via (to use our best model) Item Of Power; if the 'familiar' is just an entity the 'human' can ask for help (such as Mouse or Bob) it shouldn't require any Refresh to get that benefit, at least not in the Dresden version of FATE.  Keep that Mortal a Pure one if that's what they are.  At most, have one of their aspects reflect the relationship, if the 'familiar' is that important.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!