Author Topic: Beneficent Death Curses  (Read 5676 times)

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
Beneficent Death Curses
« on: April 30, 2010, 12:05:11 AM »
I was thinking, Death Curses have such a bad rep, nothing says that a Death Curse has to be a curse. All a Death Curse is a huge thaumaturgic ritual that uses all of somebodies life force.

Now, the question is, what Beneficent uses of the death curses can you imagine?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Beneficent Death Curses
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »
i have some like that in my campaign. They're called death blessings(at least to me lol). The only one we've seen so far was the father of one of the characters bound a powerful water elemental into his service As a tattoo on his back to aid him whenever he is in trouble. Other than that ive had idea's for people getting powers like that being protected from certain entity's for a time and other such things.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 12:14:26 AM »
Ive got the idea of a wedded pair of wizards captured by the reds and infected for fun, to see who would eat the other first, and the husband uses his death curse to say "Keep Your Soul" as she kills him in bloodlust.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »
Ive got the idea of a wedded pair of wizards captured by the reds and infected for fun, to see who would eat the other first, and the husband uses his death curse to say "Keep Your Soul" as she kills him in bloodlust.

Thats an awesome idea ;D i actually have something like that in my campaign. We have a mortal who was turned into a black court vamp through a ritual and something went wrong and he ended up a soulfull black court vamp. As in he actually still has a soul. lol
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 12:41:47 AM »
Bummer. I had a mental image of Bella Lugosi playing at a blues club. :D

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 02:07:32 AM »
I was thinking, Death Curses have such a bad rep, nothing says that a Death Curse has to be a curse. All a Death Curse is a huge thaumaturgic ritual that uses all of somebodies life force.

Very true, but as Harry often says, when you work magic you have to mean it, so I would definitely be taking a very close look at the character of the dying wizard before allowing it.  (there's also the possibility that magic powered by death might have an unpleasant edge to it that you might not want attached to your blessing)

In game terms, I'd at a minimum expect a character to be tagging one or more aspects relating to the target of his blessing, and I would certainly be looking for any compellable aspects that would interfere with his selfless act. Someone who has aspects relating to self-sacrifice and love for another character who is in immediate danger? A death blessing seems appropriate.  Someone with aspects like "vengeful" and "quick-tempered" who tries to cast a death blessing on someone is going to have a much harder time.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 02:12:40 AM »
Well, yes, it is powered by death, but in the case of a blessing one could say it is instead powered by self sacrifice. It just depends on your perspective. Certainly you have to agree that there are things worth dying for.

Offline Cajun Guy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58:35 AM »
It could work. For example, in changes if harry would have gotten capped he might have used the last of his magic to do something to protect  or hide his his daughter. It probably would have been destructive or somthing like her touch kills vampires or whatnot. Depends on when he would die. If you die trying to save someone or something then I think it wouldn't have to be a curse, but you would have to have a really good reason I'd imagine.

Offline mroehler

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 03:56:39 AM »
A death blessing? That sounds suspiciously like what happens in Harry Potter (the "magic of love"); is that REALLY what you want to have in your game?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 03:59:32 AM »
A death blessing? That sounds suspiciously like what happens in Harry Potter (the "magic of love"); is that REALLY what you want to have in your game?

Why not? Love and sacrifice are important thematic and mystical elements of the Dresden Files. Look at Amorrachius, just for example.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 04:02:50 AM »
Hell, Emotions are basically raw magical power. Harry says so multiple times throughout the series, and he commonly draws on his anger to get an extra boost in power. I also remember Harry saying that there is more magic in a baby's first laugh than in any wizard, or some such.

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 06:02:02 AM »
Love killed the Dinosaurs!

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 11:58:25 AM »

i'd allow it if it fit the situation
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
Actually, we do have a precedent for a positive Death Curse. Ok, it's atheoretical one, since Harry never threw it, but in Fool Moon he contemplates:

Maybe I could counter MacFinn's curse with it, take the horrid transformation off of him that Saint Patrick had allegedly laid on him.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
Can I point out that a blessing and a curse are frequently (not necessarily always - I haven't thought it through that far - but often) two sides of the same coin?

A blessing of protection from Harry Potter's dieing mother *functioned* as a curse against anyone who acted against him.  Eric's death curse against the Courts of Chaos acted as a blessing and guide on Corwin's actions (this is speculated on later in the books by Corwin, briefly).

They don't have to be mutually exclusive.