Author Topic: Shadow Magic  (Read 6253 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Magic
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 04:52:05 AM »
Because according to them Nicodemus is hacking reality with his Fallen Angel, and that no one without just as much power and knowledge could do anything similar. :s
I'm curious what the concepts of your friends are using, and by extension if any of them are more absurd than your relatively simple "Spirit controls Light and by extension Shadow."

Which by comparison would be equal to Fire is really Heat control and can be used to create Fire or Ice, something Harry has done several times throughout the books.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 05:46:09 AM »
I'm curious what the concepts of your friends are using, and by extension if any of them are more absurd than your relatively simple "Spirit controls Light and by extension Shadow."

Which by comparison would be equal to Fire is really Heat control and can be used to create Fire or Ice, something Harry has done several times throughout the books.

Well, so far we have;

A Venatori Assassin with a Minor Talent (Cloak of Shadows)
A Pixie Changeling one step away from becoming fully fey, who is around 2 feet tall and uses a fleshmask to hide her nature.
A Weremargay
A Valkyrie who's Catch is single combat.
A Focused Prac who makes Magical Bombs (Talked about this on here prior.)
A Focused Prac who usesThaumaturgic Photomancy to make Illusions.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 06:00:42 AM »
Well, so far we have;

A Venatori Assassin with a Minor Talent (Cloak of Shadows)
A Pixie Changeling one step away from becoming fully fey, who is around 2 feet tall and uses a fleshmask to hide her nature.
A Weremargay
A Focused Prac who makes Magical Bombs (Talked about this on here prior.)
A Focused Prac who usesThaumaturgic Photomancy to make Illusions.
Lawl, what?

Does that mean whenever there is more than her and a single enemy fighting she's super tough? *Insert nonexistent Face Raised Eyebrow*

I'd allow your character in a heartbeat.

((I had to google "Margay" to find out what it was, wasn't expecting a leopard  :P ))
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline surarrin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:43 AM »
Lawl, what?

Does that mean whenever there is more than her and a single enemy fighting she's super tough? *Insert nonexistent Face Raised Eyebrow*

I'd allow your character in a heartbeat.

((I had to google "Margay" to find out what it was, wasn't expecting a leopard  :P ))

That's how I understand it, but yeah. :s Single Combat she can be bitchsmacked, but against multiple enemies her Inhuman recovery kicks in.

I'll admit, I got frustrated at one point and pointed out to the changling's player that Fleshmask isn't a standard Pixie power, and that their idea of being an entire ensemble at a stripclub wouldn't work because fleshmasks only have a single appearance. :( Not spiteful enough to say they can't have the power, and in the end it is the GM's call.. who vanished 11 days ago.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2010, 07:36:13 AM »
Because according to them Nicodemus is hacking reality with his Fallen Angel, and that no one without just as much power and knowledge could do anything similar. :s

Sure, he might be, but that does not mean that you need to be in his weight class to do it with magic. If you look at the books, recall the issues with mirrors being a risk for a wizard.

Your shadow is certainly a thamatergical link to you. Shadow magic strikes me as a good concept for the GM to throw fate points at you for not using. The shopping mall is well lit, have a fate point and don't cast spells. The room is dark and there are no distinct shadows, have a fate point. Likewise: Manuver, I lure him into the light of the streetlamp so he casts a better shadow: Aspect Tag - clear shadow for next turn...

Offline surarrin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 07:58:21 AM »
Sure, he might be, but that does not mean that you need to be in his weight class to do it with magic. If you look at the books, recall the issues with mirrors being a risk for a wizard.

Your shadow is certainly a thamatergical link to you. Shadow magic strikes me as a good concept for the GM to throw fate points at you for not using. The shopping mall is well lit, have a fate point and don't cast spells. The room is dark and there are no distinct shadows, have a fate point. Likewise: Manuver, I lure him into the light of the streetlamp so he casts a better shadow: Aspect Tag - clear shadow for next turn...

Most of my character is gauged towards creating complications. My Trouble is 'Unnatural Attraction'; Monsters want to eat me, another ons is 'For the Greater Good' which explains itself. x)

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 10:02:53 AM »
What the hell?  If that catch is worth more than +1, then that character is cheese.  Hell, they allow this but are giving you problem with your shadow magic?  That is messed up.  A weakness to single combat is not a catch, it is an aspect.  It is something that should be compelled to affect the character, not something that should give automatic refresh bonuses.

Also, the pixie changeling doesn't even need a flesh mask.  If its a changeling, then it is part human, and having a human body is part of that.  Sure, it might have wings and be a really small human body, but it will still be recognizably human.  Flesh masks are what monsters use to hide the fact that they aren't human.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 10:12:06 AM by luminos »
Lawful Chaotic

Offline surarrin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »
It's just a +1 catch

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 11:04:27 AM »
Man, now my righteous indignation feels totally wasted.  Oh well, they should still let you use shadow magic.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline drnuncheon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »

Not proven (or disproven) by anything we've seen in the books so far, so I guess it is up to your GM.  Since you say that he's been missing for 11 days, does that mean that all the objections so far have been from other players?

If these folks aren't friends outside the game, this is about the time I would be reevaluating the people I am gaming with. Anyone that gets that worked up over not liking someone else's character concept probably won't be any fun to play with either. 

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2010, 01:12:31 PM »
Single Combat is actually a rather brilliant catch, and it should give more than +1, should give up to +3.

I really like the idea of somebody who gets stronger depending on how many are facing her in combat. As a valkyrie it makes sense too, she has supernatural powers, but when fighting a single brave mortal, she sets those abilities aside to make it a more fair fight.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
Its an unpredictable catch, which is why I'd only give it +1.  I still think that that is the sort of thing which is better represented as an aspect, so that compels could be used to represent the weakness in one-on-one fighting, but a +1 catch doesn't break it. 
Lawful Chaotic

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
Id say give it a higher bonus, and then make the player take an aspect that compels her to try to fight people one on one.

A catch like:

Duelist
You would rather fight one on one, as it is the more honorable way to settle issues.
Invoke: For bonuses in single combat.
Compel: To entice you into single combat.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
now that would be an interesting character.
Lawful Chaotic