Author Topic: Voodoo Houngans (and Mambos)  (Read 3689 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Voodoo Houngans (and Mambos)
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
Doesnt that run counter to the guidelines in the "Some Guidelines for Thaumaturgical Shapeshifting?" thread?

Debatably. Though I don't think he's thinking of possession as a big part of the character he's envisioning.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »
Doesnt that run counter to the guidelines in the "Some Guidelines for Thaumaturgical Shapeshifting?" thread?

Which guidelines, and how does this need to fall under those guidelines?
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 05:58:47 PM »
Which guidelines, and how does this need to fall under those guidelines?

Possession, and thus enhanced physical abilities are a big part of a houngan as R00kie envisions them. Sponsored Magic (or any magic) requires the use of the Thaumaturgical Shapeshifting Guidelines to duplicate such effects.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 06:03:15 PM »
Possession, and thus enhanced physical abilities are a big part of a houngan as R00kie envisions them. Sponsored Magic (or any magic) requires the use of the Thaumaturgical Shapeshifting Guidelines to duplicate such effects.

I guess I'll go read those again.  I'm not sure why I'm stepping on those toes...
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 06:10:17 PM »
I was speaking personally not directly to his concept. Sorry, didn't mean to be obtuse.  Yeah, that concept would need to fly right by those recommendations.  I could see a cool character built the way I described but he'd be a lot more about deals with the Loa than self buffing. 

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 06:13:02 PM »
Yeah, I figured it was something like that.  :)

There are clearly various different ways to make a houngan depending on exactly what their powers do and what Loa they deal with regularly. This actually feels very appropriate to me, as voodoo has always been a somewhat eclectic belief structure.