Author Topic: Charecter pfc  (Read 2026 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Charecter pfc
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:37:46 PM »
A few other people have posted there characters. or concepts there working on, and since there's been a bunch of discussion on biomancy/permanent transformations i figured id put up what those discussions congealed into for my gaming group. This is essentially a focused talent that had an instinctive understanding of biomancy. he ended up joining am atavistic cult lead by a slightly insane wyld-fae who wanted to "return humanity to its true form" that being something vaguely like lychanthropes. the character managed to actually successfully perform the transformation ritual shortly before the wardens learned about the whole thing. the rest of the story is picked up by his aspect descriptions i believe. please feel free to post any comments/questions, or areas you think i am misusing the system.

High Concept:  Sorcerous Scion of the Old Way
     Trouble: Delved too deeply into Primordial  lore 
Other Aspects see below for where they came from
My friends are my family
"And what rough beast, its hour come round at last"
I protect what's mine
i lost my kitty   : /
I brought the fire!

Background: Where did you come from?
mother is sociable and strange. father is religious fanatic in the bad way. parents got divorced while he was young. his older brother is a golden boy. he studied religion and philosophy as self defense.
My friends are my family

Rising Conflict: What shaped you?
While roleplaying, accidentally joined an animistic cult, run by an insane wyld-fae/creature [Shaun] intent on transforming Talents into half-human half-other creatures. started dating a were-cat named Jessica. Successfully performed said transformation ritual on himself.
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last

The Story: What was your first adventure?   "A Reckoning"
When approached by the Wardens who have discovered that Shaun [the wyld-fae creature] is breaking the Second Law of Magic, It is a close call, but when I realize that only luck allowed me to survive the ritual,and thus the others in the cult would likely die if attempting it.  I help the Warden to kill Shaun and save my friends
Jessica Kitten, Warden Aquilus
I protect what's mine

Guest Star: Whose Path Have You Crossed?
While investigating the fae court in order to give a report to the Wardens, Jessica saw something glimmering off one of the ways. By the time Brian turned back to her, she was gone. He was able to send his report on the Summer Court'
i lost my kitty   : /

Guest Star Redux: Who Else’s Path Have You Crossed?  "Spring Break Smackdown"
Brian gets visited by Jason, who drags him off to Massachusetts to help some mortal guy named Matt. Not realizing how well trained Matt is, Jason and Brian are impressed with his skill with a sniper rifle. Together they take down the vamps, with Matt providing damage and cover fire, Jason burying them and breaking them apart, and Brian following up with gasoline and matches. Turns out the vamps were looking for the Umbrorum, and Matt's parents have to move.
Other Stars : Jason Aquillus, Matthew Stone
"I brought the fire!"

5 Superb      [2]   Discipline, Endurence     
4 Great        [2]   Conviction, Lore   
3 Good        [2]   Fists, Presence     
2 Fair          [3]   Might, Scholarship, Athletics
1 Average    [5]   Survival, Weaponry, Rapport, Investigation,  Burglary

Stunts & Powers                     [-9]
Thaumaturgy                    -3   [currently only know biomancy and warding]
   +1 Complexity: Biomancy
Transformation
  Inhuman Strength                     -2
  Inhuman Recovery*                   -2
  Supernatural Toughness*           -4
  Echoes of the Beast                  -1
    Night vision, Predators communion,+1 to Might, Alertness, intimidation. When being inhuman
  Human Guise                          -0
*Catch                                       +3
   Judeo-Christian faith/Gold: can be researched

1EIS  Focus Item: "Silver Piercing Crown Set" +1 to a roll situationally [defense vs mind control],  4 uses a day
2EIS  Enchanted Item"  "Claws" Enchanted Item: weapon Rating two claws, for a scene, 5 times a day

1EIS free

Updated with appropriate revisions
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:31:06 PM by Moriden »
Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Charecter pfc
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
1FIS  Focus Item: "Silver Piercing Crown Set" +1 Defensive Control Spirit

Since you lack Evocation, a Focus item of this sort is useless to you. You could instead have one granting, say, +1 Complexity or Control to Warding, or Biomancy, or some other Thaumaturgy area.

2EIS  Enchanted Item"  "Claws" Enchanted Item: Weapon Rating one,  Can be "Un/Sheathed" 6/day

These work, but personally I'd up them to Weapon 2 5 times per day, or so. Or skip them entirely depending on whether your GM will allow them to nstack with Inhuman Strength.

Other than that, looks good mechanically (and really awesome thematically). Though from the perspective of effectiveness, I'd probably switch out Fists and Conviction. Conviction's decently useful in Thaumaturgy, but nothing to write home about. Also, what's your Thaumaturgy specialty in? You don't specify.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
1FIS  Focus Item: "Silver Piercing Crown Set" +1 Defensive Control Spirit
Since you lack Evocation, a Focus item of this sort is useless to you. You could instead have one granting, say, +1 Complexity or Control to Warding, or Biomancy, or some other Thaumaturgy area.

its meant to be purely defensive vs mind control. my understanding is that it would give a +1 bonus to defensive conviction rolls vs spirit magic.

These work, but personally I'd up them to Weapon 2 5 times per day, or so. Or skip them entirely depending on whether your GM will allow them to nstack with Inhuman Strength.

There basically just mechanical work around, theirs no way im paying -1 for claws. so i just made them as an item. i didn't want them to be "better" then claws though so i kept them at weapon one and just put everything else into uses per day, i would have simply made them weapon one always on, and retractable but the "pacth" disallowed that.
Other than that, looks good mechanically (and really awesome thematically).
Thank you

Though from the perspective of effectiveness, I'd probably switch out Fists and Conviction. Conviction's decently useful in Thaumaturgy, but nothing to write home about.
Yeahp his skill set up is heavily influenced from who he was before the transformation ritual. over time they'll settle out into a more useful spread but i felt starting sub optimally would better represent the "learning" process of his new body, and i wanted to make sure that his casting stats where sufficiently high that he mathematically could actually have cast the complexity 36 or so ritual he did in his back story. As a note advancement wise hes going to be picking up the sight and evocation next as the warden he met in his first adventure is tutoring him in magic. so in the fullness of time he'll actually be attempting to test for white council membership.

Also, what's your Thaumaturgy specialty in? You don't specify.
+1 to complexity, its right under thaumaturgy.

Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
its meant to be purely defensive vs mind control. my understanding is that it would give a +1 bonus to defensive conviction rolls vs spirit magic.

Hmmm. That's not really a Focus Item...those help explicitly with Evocation or Thaumaturgy only. You could probably do something like this with an Enchanted Item, but I don't know how it'd work mechanically.

There basically just mechanical work around, theirs no way im paying -1 for claws. so i just made them as an item. i didn't want them to be "better" then claws though so i kept them at weapon one and just put everything else into uses per day, i would have simply made them weapon one always on, and retractable but the "pacth" disallowed that.

Well, since they're an item, why not just have metal claws as a mundane (Weapon: 1) weapon? They'd use Fists for obvious reasons. Maybe have them concealed via being enchanted? Build the Enchantment part as a Veil on the claws...

Thank you

You're welcome. And I call 'em like I see 'em.  :)

Yeahp his skill set up is heavily influenced from who he was before the transformation ritual. over time they'll settle out into a more useful spread but i felt starting sub optimally would better represent the "learning" process of his new body, and i wanted to make sure that his casting stats where sufficiently high that he mathematically could actually have cast the complexity 36 or so ritual he did in his back story. As a note advancement wise hes going to be picking up the sight and evocation next as the warden he met in his first adventure is tutoring him in magic. so in the fullness of time he'll actually be attempting to test for white council membership.

Cool. As long as you're aware of what you're doing. Character should always trump mechanics.

+1 to complexity, its right under thaumaturgy.

Ah. You need to specify an area that you get the bonus in (like Wards or Biomancy), it's not general. Look at Harry's sheet, he's got his in Divination.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:14:39 PM »
Ah. You need to specify an area that you get the bonus in (like Wards or Biomancy), it's not general. Look at Harry's sheet, he's got his in Divination.
Fixed

Well, since they're an item, why not just have metal claws as a mundane (Weapon: 1) weapon? They'd use Fists for obvious reasons. Maybe have them concealed via being enchanted? Build the Enchantment part as a Veil on the claws...

I wanted to go this route , the enchanted item itself is actually a collection of piercings and tattoos over his hands, because hes primarily a biomancer , so while it would certainly be easier and cheaper to just get a mundane version of this its just not how he'd go about doing it. the way i look at it thematically is that each of the daily "uses" is like injecting himself with a potion that would give him claws from a biomancy affect.

Hmmm. That's not really a Focus Item...those help explicitly with Evocation or Thaumaturgy only. You could probably do something like this with an Enchanted Item, but I don't know how it'd work mechanically.

Well its certainly possible i misinterpreted what it meant when it said "defensive uses of an element". ill take minute to re-look  at the sections and see how id want to build it as an enchanted item if i had to go that way.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »
Fixed

Cool.  :)

I wanted to go this route , the enchanted item itself is actually a collection of piercings and tattoos over his hands, because hes primarily a biomancer , so while it would certainly be easier and cheaper to just get a mundane version of this its just not how he'd go about doing it. the way i look at it thematically is that each of the daily "uses" is like injecting himself with a potion that would give him claws from a biomancy affect.

Ah. Gotcha. Hmmm, maybe you should build it as a Conjuration effect? That'd make it last a whole scene, though it'd likely be a higher level effect even for Weapon 1 and thus fewer uses, but then three scenes is alot better than 6 attacks.

EDIT: Yeah, that works. And if you don't care about them being 'believable' (ie: natural looking) it's only Complexity 3 and thus you could have 4 uses per session. See p. 274-275 for details.

Well its certainly possible i misinterpreted what it meant when it said "defensive uses of an element". ill take minute to re-look  at the sections and see how id want to build it as an enchanted item if i had to go that way.

Oh, you could totally use Spirit like that...but you'd need Evocation to do it. It'd be a magical defense as opposed to an addition to a mundane one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 05:24:52 PM by Deadmanwalking »

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »
Ah. Gotcha. Hmmm, maybe you should build it as a Conjuration effect? That'd make it last a whole scene, though it'd likely be a higher level effect even for Weapon 1 and thus fewer uses, but then three scenes is  alot better than 6 attacks

my current interpretation is that the "item"can be used x times per day, it doesnt specifiy weather the affect of the item can have a duration or not. so the base duration of the "claw affect" is about a minute, i suppose i might want to take a use per day out and put it into "duration"for that. it really should just be an "always on affect" though so honestly im kinda just hand waiving at the math on it. Its good that your calling me on this though, the last thing i need is my gm/fiance, to think im trying to "cheat"

Oh, you could totally use Spirit like that...but you'd need Evocation to do it. It'd be a magical defense as opposed to an addition to a mundane one.
remember that thaumaturgy can do just about anything evocation can do, its just slower. It dose look like id have to build it as some kind of block or armor though, which really just doesn't gell well with me. but to bow to the finicky-ness of the rules...

Here some of my thoughts.
Claw item
The claw affect seems to me to be somewhere between simple one part object, and hand held weapon with one or two moving parts. so lets say base complexity                                           2
Lets add one shift of complexity for "realness" since its a biomantic affect not conjuration.+1
Base one use per day , each use lasts a scene. +1 shift into uses, +1 slot into uses.            +3 uses
                                                                                                           complexity 3  4 uses/day
So it creates a biomantic transformation creating weapon one claws, for a scene, 4 times a day.

Now for the hard done.
I've currently got a base lore of 4 so...
strength 2 block or armor one vs mind  attacks.
okay this just doesn't work for me. there is no situation where a 2 block affect is going to be better then my 4 conviction. and the armor just doesn't feel right. it would be useful against dedicated mind fucking sure. but it just doesn't "feel" like what this kind of warding affect should be so i'm going to go back to a precedent established by lc and have it just give a +x to conviction for the purposes of defending verse mind control.

so we have three options
3 shifts of complexity for +1 to a roll no matter what, +1 for uses per day. +1 item slot for uses per day.

or 1 shift of complexity for a +1 to a roll situationally [defense vs mind control],  6 uses a day

or half affect for a +2 verses mind affecting spells or other supernatural affects always on. one enchanted item slot.

im heavily inclined to use the third but i have a strong feeling that my st will insist that we use the "patch" so ill likely have to use the second.

Brian Blacknight

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 06:49:57 PM »
The claws look good. As for the other, that looks reasonable enough, though I'm not sure it's precisely how I'd do it. 

It is worth noting that it should probably help Discipline, not Conviction, since mental attacks almost always target Discipline. Conviction is only used for the stress track and in a few very specific cases.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »
It is worth noting that it should probably help Discipline, not Conviction, since mental attacks almost always target Discipline. Conviction is only used for the stress track and in a few very specific cases.
Noted , and fixed.
Brian Blacknight