Author Topic: Wards and Magic items  (Read 1676 times)

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
Wards and Magic items
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »
So is it possible to use a thaumaturgical ward in a staff? So for example could a wizard create a staff imbue it with a power of a ward to reflect hostilemagic back on an attacker

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Wards and Magic items
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:17:27 PM »
Shields (evocation defenses) are portable, wards are stationary, generally speaking.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:28:52 PM »
Would you make an difference for an PC who could do Thaumaturgical Wards at Evocation speed?

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 06:03:53 PM »
Would you make an difference for an PC who could do Thaumaturgical Wards at Evocation speed?

Nope. Wards as evocation still rock because they have duration. With reasonable starting skills you can move a zone and set up a level 3 ward that lasts till nightfall. Have some friends block movement to block movement to give you another segment or two, and you can likely get it to 6ish.

I know if I was running a game, and it came up, I'd give the Merlin, mr. warding, that as a special refinement.

Having a staff as a focus object for warding does work fine. On the other hand, it sounds like you want to reflect spells, which may be developing a repose stunt for counter-spelling instead.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »

JustinS is on the right track here. I'd still treat wards as stationary things, the difference would be that the PC can throw up small, stationary wards very quickly, I'd think.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/