Author Topic: Avoiding Mary Suehood?  (Read 4217 times)

logarithm.and.blues

Re: Avoiding Mary Suehood?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 02:39:20 AM »
Looking it up, self inserts look to generally be as minor characters, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-insertion.  A lot of people tend to consider self inserts to be pretty much the same as being a Mary Sue, but it's really not.
Can main characters be self-inserts?
Also, are author surrogates necessarily the same as Mary Sues? You see, in my story, I have a number of people in my cast of characters, and I'm simply trying to avoid any possible Mary Sues. I can't really use the test, though, 'cause I haven't finished the story yet, and I think some of the questions on the quizzes are related to the plot, of which I haven't really settled on yet.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 02:48:05 AM »
Can main characters be self-inserts?

Definitely.  There's a fairly strong argument to be made for LKH's main characters being self-inserts, frex.

Also, are author surrogates necessarily the same as Mary Sues?

Not at all.  You can always write yourself in as a helpful secondary character who dies horribly, for example.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Flintlock

• Conversationalist
  • Black Council Intern
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 02:37:17 PM »
sure fire way to avoiding mary suehood: kill him. no one is perfect if they're a corpse.
Proxima est Mors

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 03:44:31 PM »
sure fire way to avoiding mary suehood: kill him. no one is perfect if they're a corpse.
Supposedly, the original Mary Sue character did die.  So, no, that one doesn't quite work.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Hoyled

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:57 PM »
You can always read some Dirk Pitt novels and read how the author self inserts himself. Half the time its harmless and amusing, the other half he saves the main characters from certian doom. Deus ex Cussler
"I'm Warlord Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka an I speak wiv da word of da gods. We iz gonna stomp do oonuverse flat an' kill anyfing that fights back. We iz gonna do this coz' we're Orks an' we was made ta fight an' win."

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2010, 05:45:07 AM »

I might be mistaken, but I think another trait commonly associated with Mary Sue is when said character dies and all those people that held unfair beefs against him/her tearfully recant and realize how wrong they were, and how right Mary Sue was all along.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »
Silly's fun
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

meh

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
I might be mistaken, but I think another trait commonly associated with Mary Sue is when said character dies and all those people that held unfair beefs against him/her tearfully recant and realize how wrong they were, and how right Mary Sue was all along.

Yeah, that falls squarely in the "wish fulfillment Mary Sue" bin.