Author Topic: Research  (Read 2122 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Research
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:40:31 PM »
Hello All,

I have been kicking around an idea for werewolf concept for a while now and it just sounds like a rehash of other peoples stories and settings.  Alot of that is due to reading lots of novels and RPGs like Werewolf the Apocalypse. 
So I thought it might be good to get back to the roots of the legends rather than looking at someone elses interpratation of the subject.
This is proving to be a bit more difficult than I had expected and I was hoping that some of you guys might have some suggestions.

Thanks in advance! :)

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: Research
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
Well, I'm no expert on the werewolf, but I know that one of the places that the legends started was in Western Europe, specifically France. But you can find shape shifting stories in almost every culture. I'd suggest looking into mythology texts at a local bookstore and see what you turn up.

I know it's not terribly much but I hope it helps a little.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
yeah most every culture has a form of were-critter of some form, most of them are the tradinal blood thirsty monster that eats babies and rapes virgen girls, then eats them. there are some however that are actually wise nature spirets or guardians. you can always make your own mythose for your werewolves and not worry if it sounds simaler to anyone elses cause its going to happen no matter what. it all dependes on what you want the focuse of the story to be.

as far as research goes, there are a couple of books you can find at boarders or amazon.com that have a lot of lore in them, plus websites, unfortunately most of it is pop culture crap but its still useful for ideas. most of what your going to find is going to be European werewolf's.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan 18th century French werewolf legend. Probably what Enjorous was talking about.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 04:53:17 PM »
Well the Beast of Gevaudan is one of the later werewolf legends out of France. They date back into the middle ages and earlier iirc.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 05:51:47 PM »
there's a documentary on one of the underworld dvd's that i am sure you could find online. it has some pretty interesting history on the vampire and werewolf legends, it also delves into the popular culture werewolf and vampires. it wasn't bad.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:54:06 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Vampires-Werewolves-Other-Monsters/dp/0816046859

I got ahold of this a while back, so far has been very informative.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:29:40 PM »
There are 3 distinct Werewolf 'genres'
European Loup-Garou style
North American "Shifter"
Asian Oni

The first thing to do, would be to decide which of those you want to follow, and then start doing research on those.

Offline T-Bone

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
Thanks for all the great leads everyone!

One of the books I found that was a bit disturbing but infomative was The Book of Werewolves by S.Baring-Gould. 

I guess tonight I will be getting the encyclopia and more online research. 

Offline Rachel Taylor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Taylor Writes
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
Bob Curran, an Irish scholar, has written a couple good books. One features undead of all types: vampires, werewolves, zombies, etc. His most recent one, I believe, is werewolves and nothing but werewolves.