Author Topic: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon  (Read 20958 times)

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon
« on: April 23, 2010, 09:36:10 AM »
I thought since I'm playing with my nice new Dresden Files pdf and I've got a campaign starting in a couple of days it might be worth getting some practice in with Dresdenverse aspects. If the thread goes well it might even serve as a nice source of aspect suggestions people can use in their own games.

As such I thought it might be fun to start a compelathon. Just take the Aspect the person before you suggested and suggest how it could be Invoked and Compelled. For example if the Aspect was:

Suspected Warlock
you might suggest:

Invoke: To gain a bonus to intmidate those who know your reputation and understand the Laws of magic
Compel: To cause wizards to distrust and possibly avoid the character, and wardens to watch the character at inconvenient times.

And then having suggested an Invoke and Compel, provide a new aspect for the person after you

As a first aspect I'll provide:

Red Court Courtesan

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: Dresdenverse Aspects Compelathon
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 11:32:09 AM »
Red Court Courtesan

Invoke: Familiar with the inner workings of the Red Court (or at least the local branch), have a high tolerance for vampire venom (+2 to resistance checks), understands common Mayan words/commands.

Compel: You sometimes miss the days when all the descisions were made for you (-2 vs Mental attack by Red Court Vamps).

Beacon of light for the hopeless.

Offline horvagab

• Conversationalist
  • "Witty popular culture remark" /Harry Dresden/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:59:02 PM »
Beacon of light for the hopeless.
[/quote]

Invoke: you're well liked by those lesser off, and you may even have a reputation for protecting them. +2 for contacts and investigation roles when these lesser off guys come into play.

Compel: Come into play they come, often asking for help, plus also, you cannot let innocents get hurt while you're in the vicinity.

I used to go bump into the night

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 03:09:50 PM »
Not sure about this one. If its implies you used to be a foul creature of the night as in:

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-legged beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

Then I used to go bump in the night
Invoke: To take advantage of your experience stalking, ambushing or frightening prey during the nightime hours
Compel:  Your reputation preceeds you. Demon hunters, and men of god try to cast you out, and occassionally your old stalking buddies may turn up looking for help.

If it implies some sort of clumsiness (bumping into things) in the dark

Then I used to go bump into the night
Invoke: You are used to everyone else knowing where you are at night. Ambushes and traps are no longer a surprise to you - you expect them and get a bonus to deal with them.
Compel: You're incredibly clumsy, especially in the dark. When the lights are dim you trip over things, break things and make noise. Forget trying to be stealthy at night - you'll be the one who trips and hits the trash cans or steps on a dogs tail.

Arrogance Is Everything!

Offline Falar

• Conversationalist
  • A veritable treasure trove
    • View Profile
    • Falar + Sha
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »
Arrogance Is Everything!

Invoke: Your arrogance serves as excellent armor against those that would tear you down or try to break you in that all important social arena.

Compel: Who the heck cares about what that Knight of the Cross says? He's the image of humility and everyone knows that humility is just another word for not being able to get the job done.

Dean Koontz Fanboy
Lead Creator of Terror in the Twin Cities - winner of the 2010 Borden DFRPG Award for Best Location

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 04:02:34 PM »
I have a couple cool aspects,well i think thier cool, two of them are items, but if someone who as heard of this guys deeds, they will fear him, he is kind of good, now, though!

Unpredictable:invoke:use this againsit your enemy EG: you appear to have just let go and died, when you pull a gun out of no where and shoot him in the face!
Compel:you basicy get compled to do somthing nuts, like somthing that might get everyone killed with no warning

With great power comes a small bit of resonsabillity: the whole idea to this character is that he is learning the difference between right and wrong, so he is becoming responsiable, this can act as both a bad thing and good thing, you can use it to compel againsit doing somthing unpedictable, but it can compel againsit you for the same reason.

rose's guardian: this is a fate point printer, actually a lot of his aspects are, because he needs them, he is guardian to a little girl who will come to be very inportant in the future, a lot of bad guys want to have her for some reason.

his trouble is: "in the end only one was left standing", he has this whole blood feud with his brother, it's a long story so i wont write it. but those are the aspects that arent items other then his high concept
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:22:28 PM »
Dean Koontz Fanboy

Invoke: your ability to deal mentally with what others find horrific allows +2 on mental attacks. 

Compel: jumping to conclusions (sometimes the wrong ones) has become a habit.  You sometimes ignore the obvious because the answer can't be that simple.

what's next on my bucket list?

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
what's next on my bucket list?

Invoke: You have no fear because the end is near...

Compel: You do something bold, dangerous, and/or life-threatening because you have no fear....

I Can't Find "Mana" on the Periodic Table.

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

I Can't Find "Mana" on the Periodic Table.

invoke: applying science to the supernatural helps make sense of things that "go bump".

Compel: your quest to find answers to some questions that shouldn't be asked has brought you unwanted attention...again.

what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »
^ got to say this
"i belive what doesnt kill you, makes you, stranger"- dark knight
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 08:12:02 PM »
what doesn't kill me makes me stronger

Invoke: To come back into the fight after suffering horrible setbacks. To strike after taking a consequence, or to re-attempt something after suffering humiliating failure.
Compel: Because you normally bounce back you are used to taking extreme risks. A compel on this should blind you to the very real danger of failure.

Have Blasting Rod, Will Travel

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:16:42 PM »
[Have Blasting Rod, Will Travel

Invoke Increased intimidation when acting like a gunslinger wiht your blasting rod

Compel loss of confidence and hesitation when without said rod

For every Season, Turn, Turn, Turn
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Tangent Free

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
For every Season, Turn, Turn, Turn

Invoke:  You've worked for both courts of Faerie. Invoke for knowledge of where to go and who to go to for information or contacts on either side.

Compel:  You've worked for both courts of Faerie. No one likes that you change alliegence so often. Others who dislike that may come taking their shots at you at inopportune times. Some of your contacts may bother you to help them out against the other side.

Silly Rabbit, Tricks are for Kids!

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:10:03 AM »
Suggestion for future posts: Perhaps either the challenger (who responds to the challenge)  should put a description of what the Aspect means in the context of the character.

I'll give an example below.

Silly Rabbit, Tricks are for Kids!

You have been fooled too many times by faerie tricksters, and especially that damn White Rabbit.

Invoke: You resist the glamours, tricks or deals offered to you.

Compel: You might get aggressive about it, since they never did find the First White Rabbit again.

Not a Very Good Viking
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 01:59:47 AM »
Not a Very Good Viking

The idea of pillaging and plundering is abhorrent.

Invoke: Sees his mission as protecting those that are helpless.

Compel: Unable to take advantage of those not in a position of greater power than himself.

Goldbricking Slacker