Author Topic: Sponsored magic  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Sponsored magic
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:49:26 PM »
How does work exactly? i have a rough idea, but i cant look it up because my friend has the pdf and i dont have it on me right now
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Sponsored magic
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:51:52 PM »
It's basically Evocation and Thaumaturgy mashed together with a specific theme to the magic you can do and the ability to call upon your sponsor to pay for some or all of the costs of your spellcraft in exchange for some "debt" to be repaid later (in the form of compels).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
ohh, okay, so if you were an eop, and you used said sponserd magic, that could be like what your debt is?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
ohh, okay, so if you were an eop, and you used said sponserd magic, that could be like what your debt is?

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question. Speak at greater length, with examples of what you think I'm saying? :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 11:04:17 PM »
sorry  :), i was trying to say that say if an angel gave you soul fire, you would have a debt to it right?, like taking care of a child who is a holy or sumthin.im not really sure what i was trying to say, i was basicly saying if you were an emissary of power, would sponserd magic just add to your debt?, i know that doesnt make much sense  ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »
It is likely that if you are an Emissary of Power that, if you take Sponsored Magic, that your "Sponsor" in question is the Power of which you are an emissary.

Sponsor debt has a specific mechanical meaning, in the form of compels-you-can't-refuse that line up with the sponsor's agenda.
Fred Hicks

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:30 PM »
okay thank you, sorry for not saying complete sentences, i am very tired, didnt sleep well and have been taking test and reading small favor all day, so i apologize  ;D

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »
sorry  :), i was trying to say that say if an angel gave you soul fire, you would have a debt to it right?, like taking care of a child who is a holy or sumthin.im not really sure what i was trying to say, i was basicly saying if you were an emissary of power, would sponserd magic just add to your debt?, i know that doesnt make much sense  ;D

That sounds like a relationship that is more handled by aspects. If your high concept is Mystic Smiter in the name of the Archangel Micheal, then you can and likely will get compelled by the big M, who's emmisary you are, on the other hand, you can tag that aspect for even more Holy Smite Power too...

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:45:32 PM »
cool, but it wouldnt go with this character, i used angels as an example because this character has a very long story, and it doesnt sound as cool shortend but, ya he is half old one, so he actually would have hell fire, and even thoough his dad was a demon, he betrayed the others for his kids, but even though he got the good side of his dad, he is still half demon, and also guardian of the savior of the world, and learning to control his powers, ( he used to be stonger, but due to some events he lost it and is slowly getting them back). it sounds much cooler if you hear the whole thing, but thank you any way, because i was curious about sponserd magic for all the templates, so thanks justin, and fred, defintely fred  ;D again sorry if that didnt make sense, im really tired

Offline flymolo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 12:20:45 AM »
What would you suggest for having sponsor debt of non-evocation/thaumaturgy powers?

I'm thinking someone ridden by a Loa looks like the lycanthrope template, but the loa doesn't always come when you invite it, but you can invite it any time.  They may opt out, or give you debt. 

So how would Sponsored Modular abilities or shapeshifting look?

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:06:47 AM »
What would you suggest for having sponsor debt of non-evocation/thaumaturgy powers?

I'm thinking someone ridden by a Loa looks like the lycanthrope template, but the loa doesn't always come when you invite it, but you can invite it any time.  They may opt out, or give you debt. 

So how would Sponsored Modular abilities or shapeshifting look?
I'd call that the uncontrolled change [+1] modifier on shapeshift, just like lycanthrope. When the character wants power, they need to ask, and possibly make a deal. If they break the deal they use the 'broken word' system, not the sponsor debt system...