Author Topic: How Do You Get Effect 'X'?  (Read 7456 times)

Offline Barodahn

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Get Effect 'X'?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 05:44:15 AM »
Uh, you're right about TK and air magic. Those are definitely evocation.

In my view evocation is about manipulating the elements...in YS 254, it CLEARLY states air magic would be used to pull apart locks, move objects around, etc.  Water can change, dissolve,  cut things, Earth can strengthen or twist things (magnetically i am thinking).  

I think one problem I am having with the rules are evocation seems to be pigeonholed a bit too much into being pure combat oriented, I think this might be due to harry's whole not so subtle aspect in a way, he goes for the big blasts!!  Perhaps the view would be a bit different if we saw a bit more magic use by Elaine, or Ramirez other then pure combat.  

Am I off base here or does that make sense?  The lockpicking just doesn't seem like it would be something thamaturgical, especial given it being in the example for air evocation.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
I think you are completely correct.  Lockpicking should be something you can do with air.  So, summon enough shifts of air to beat the complexity of the lock, roll discipline to control it, and voila.  It would still be simpler to just pick the lock mundanely unless you are unskilled with burglary.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »

I'm thinking that the spellcaster does not need a symbolic link, since the lock is right in front of him.  Perhaps his Burglary skill lets him make a declaration to get +2. Maybe a bonus or two due to a focus and stunts.  But I don't see how he can get the 7 shifts of preparation he needs to do it on-the-fly.

Am I on the wrong track here?  Or am I exactly right, and casting a Burglary +8 spell on-the-fly would require some major spellcasting ability,  more than, say, a -6 refresh could allow?  Maybe someone more junior has to find another way --  by prepping in advance, with a bit of "casing the joint" to get info (and a symbolic link)?  Or maybe he needs a set of Enchanted Lockpicks?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.  I'm impressed by the system, but a little surprised that I'm having so much trouble massaging it into the shape I'm aiming for.

Well, you can bring a file and get some lock scrapings, or you can incude the actial lock as part of the ritual (draw your circle virtically on the door).

The other thing that comes to mind is create a stunt that lets you use burglery instead of lore for lock magic (expand the scope of a skill).