Author Topic: Giving up magic  (Read 1975 times)

Offline surarrin

• Participant
  • Who splattered red paint on my boat?
    • View Profile
Giving up magic
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:34:50 PM »
So, a thought occured to me. In the books one of the ways that is offered to harry, to ditch Lash early on, was putting aside his magic.

Now, in game.

Could a wizard, who has pushed himself too far, has gone all out and smashed past the point of no return give up his magic to save himself from NPC?

So let's give him Evo, Thaum, and 3 levels of refine for -9 from a base 10 refresh.

Now he's gone all out killed half a dozen people blasted straight to -11 refresh adjustment putting him over that crucial point.

Could he give up his magic (Evo, Thaum, Refine) to put himself back under the threshold and become a Pure Mortal?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Giving up magic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
I'd say that yes, he could. He'd have to do it before the end of the current scenario, but yes, I'd allow that. It sounds and feels right.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 02:54:42 PM »
It sounds and feels right.

Best rule you can go by, right there.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 05:58:02 PM »
I'd have him run around with -9 refresh for a time in which he can but can't use his magic. Giving up his Magic wouldn't be easy, he'd be tempted to use it nonetheless. It's like drug withdrawal i'd say (think Willow in Season 6 of Buffy. :) )
If he keeps using it anyway, that's a failed withdrawal -> NPC
At some point he'd loose his power and then the refresh would be open to be used for mortal stunts.

Also I'd probably have him stay at 10 refresh. Justified by sticking him with a -2 (the Vanilla mortal bonus) "power" along the lines of "Suppressed Magical talent", plus an aspect like "Warloks Anonymus" or something.
That way his Magical past is not totally gone, but doesn't help him anymore.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »
Keep in mind that -10 refresh only makes you an npc until the the first or second major milestone.

As you can tell im not a huge fan of using the refresh method to handle weather or not a character is playable anymore. Consider a focused practitioner with channeling -2 Fire, Hellfire -2, and lawbreaker first -2. is a perfectly playable character mathematically but is going to be much more of a gibbering mad man then a normal wizard who accidentally broke a law... once...
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:06 PM »
Keep in mind that -10 refresh only makes you an npc until the the first or second major milestone.

As you can tell im not a huge fan of using the refresh method to handle weather or not a character is playable anymore. Consider a focused practitioner with channeling -2 Fire, Hellfire -2, and lawbreaker first -2. is a perfectly playable character mathematically but is going to be much more of a gibbering mad man then a normal wizard who accidentally broke a law... once...

Point of order: Hellfire in the situation you just described would cost -4, not -2.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:45:09 PM »

Hellfire would cost -4 not -2, channeling doesn't reduce sponsored magic costs... and even if it did that would be -3.

Edit: and Fred was faster on the draw.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »
lol fair enough but such a  character would still only be at -8 refresh, perfectly legal mathematically.

2 channeling, 4 hellfire, 2 lawbreaker =8
Brian Blacknight