Author Topic: Con Games - What would you want?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
Con Games - What would you want?
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
There seems to be a lot of demand for Con games so people can try out the system. I'd like to make some of those people happy. The question is, if you knew next to nothing about the Dresden Files RPG but were a roleplaying fan of Jim's books what would you want to see in the game?

Some things are obvious. Any con game is going to need atleast one wizard pre-gen, so people can see that the game handles Harry well. However:

• Would you want to play well known characters (like Harry, Billy and Michael) or would you want to test out new creations?
  • Would you want a game set in Chicago, Baltimore or somewhere else?
  • What sort of power level whould you like the game set at? Chest Deep? Submerged?
  • When would you like to see the game set? Around the same time as Storm Front (so its spoiler free), around the end of Small Favor (which seems to tally with the game) or after Changes (current)?
  • Would you be interested in a game all playing the same type of character? A pack of were-wolves? A group of Wardens etc?

Basically what do you think would make a great con game?

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Con Games - What would you want?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm trying to answer these questions using the stipulation that I do so as if I knew nothing about the RPG, but am a fan of the novels

• I'd prefer to play a character that wasn't in the books, but perhaps is given some sort of connection to Harry and pals on his character sheet.
  • I'd want a game set in either Chicago, or another city that gave the same feel as Chicago
  • I would say that I'd prefer the game at Submerged, but I'd be wrong.  Playing the game at Chest Deep or lower would end up being more fun, I think
  • I'd prefer a game set sometime before Changes and some time after the vampire war started
  • I'd be interested in playing a game with a variety of character types, so I could see the ways the complemented each other, and so that each one felt like it had a certain niche in the game where it gave the most valuable contributions
Lawful Chaotic

Offline R00kie

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Whirly Waffles
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:47:48 PM »
I'd prefer to play a character that wasn't in the books, but perhaps is given some sort of connection to Harry and pals on his character sheet.
Interesting. So maybe something like Paranet members (who would know of Harry) or possibly Molly's school friends. Actually - the Carpenter children and friends would make a nice group. Molly is the obvious wizard.

I would say that I'd prefer the game at Submerged, but I'd be wrong.  Playing the game at Chest Deep or lower would end up being more fun, I think
I think it has to be Chest Deep so I can provide a functioning Wizard as an character. There again a focussed practitioner might be easier to explain at the table.

I'd prefer a game set sometime before Changes and some time after
(click to show/hide)
Cool - That's definitely the main sequence of the series so far, and provides for the best variety of antagonists. I agree that this looks the best time to set it.

I'd be interested in playing a game with a variety of character types, so I could see the ways the complemented each other, and so that each one felt like it had a certain niche in the game where it gave the most valuable contributions
Would you want to mirror the obvious key Dresden files characters (a wizard, a knight of the sword, a white court vamp and a mortal) or would you like to see a little more variety? The game covers all the minor roles that only appeared for a single book really well. I'd be tempted to give them things which show off the systems versatility but they might feel more grounded with archetypes they knew well.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 01:49:19 PM »
Would you want to play well known characters (like Harry, Billy and Michael) or would you want to test out new creations?

New people, definitely. And not anyone shown even briefly in the books or you'll get exceedingly pedantic people arguing they wouldn't act that way. At the same time, people with connections to characters in the books are good, like a young Wizard who trained with Carlos Ramirez, or a True Believer who's an old friend of Father Forthill, or one of the unnamed Alphas who's since left the group.

Would you want a game set in Chicago, Baltimore or somewhere else?

I agree that the mood needs to be Chicago-like, but again, to prevent pedantry, I'd suggest somewhere like it, not actual Chicago.

What sort of power level whould you like the game set at? Chest Deep? Submerged?

Chest Deep. Lower probably is more fun, and you're right you need room for a full Wizard.

When would you like to see the game set? Around the same time as Storm Front (so its spoiler free), around the end of Small Favor (which seems to tally with the game) or after Changes (current)?

During the period previously suggested sounds about right to me.

Would you be interested in a game all playing the same type of character? A pack of were-wolves? A group of Wardens etc?

I think a mix of characters is good. Personally, for, say, 8 pre-gens, I'd go with the following:

Young Untried Wizard
True Believer Priest or Nun
Former Alpha (Werewolf, obviously)
Changeling (Child of a Summer Court Sidhe with Glamour and Inhuman Speed. Possibly Inhuman Toughness and/or Recovery as well.)
Red Court Infectee (Inhuman Strength, Toughness, and Recovery. Plus Tatoos of St. Giles.)
Ectomancer (Channeling and Ritual, a second magic user, with a useful and easily understood specialty.)
Pure Mortal Cop (Probably SI or the local equivalent. Focused on Guns, Investigation, and Intimidation Stunts.)
Pure Mortal Businessman (Maybe some illegal stuff, possibly tied to Marcone. Black belt in something. Focused on Resources, Deceit, and Fists Stunts.)

I'd then let however many people I had available pick between them. That should give a certain degree of variability, and show off the breadth of the system while still being relatively comprehensible to anybody who's read through Death Masks.

This is obviously just a sample list, but I think it's a good one, and shows about the right degree of breadth.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:31 PM »
A con game should fit cleanly into a 3.5 hour window...15 min for prep, 3.5 hours to play, 15 min to wrap up.  The setting and quick rundown of the rules shouldn't take more than 15 minutes or you end up disussing things that won't be relevant.  That being said, i'd go with a typical cast from one of the books (1 wizard, 1 cop, 2 shapechangers, and 2 focused practioners for fun to round out a group of 6).  Do the math ahead of time (avg values for attacks +/- aspects) to speed up play.  Setting could be chicago or baltimore for ease of use.  Time period I'd go fo after Dead Beat so that as many options are available as possible.