Author Topic: Evocation: Control is better than Power  (Read 7856 times)

Offline Shinto_Knight

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Evocation: Control is better than Power
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 03:17:52 AM »
It's a standard attack roll. Margin of success determines the base number of shifts. The shifts in the spell are all about establishing a Weapon:X value.
thanx i geuss i just need to re-read a few times

Offline Arandmoor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 04:54:25 PM »
Side Note: There's also the difference between single target attacks, and multi-target or room attacks to consider when looking at control vs. power for spells. The moment you try to attack multiple targets, IMO, raw power become advantageous over hitting "better" depending on how you attempt to attack them (I really need to re-read the attack rules). IIRC, raw power will have a distinct advantage when you're trying to attack multiple specific targets in the same zone (split fire) vs. just attacking the room because you have to split your shifts between multiple targets.
"Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel."
- Marina Margaret Heiss
http://typelogic.com/intj.html
...fffffffffffffffff

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 05:20:27 PM »
Side Note: There's also the difference between single target attacks, and multi-target or room attacks to consider when looking at control vs. power for spells. The moment you try to attack multiple targets, IMO, raw power become advantageous over hitting "better" depending on how you attempt to attack them (I really need to re-read the attack rules). IIRC, raw power will have a distinct advantage when you're trying to attack multiple specific targets in the same zone (split fire) vs. just attacking the room because you have to split your shifts between multiple targets.

When targeted multiple specific targets with a spell you have to split both your targeting shifts as well as your power shifts.  So splitting your attacks with magic doesn't give you an advantage for having more raw power.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Victim

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
When targeted multiple specific targets with a spell you have to split both your targeting shifts as well as your power shifts.  So splitting your attacks with magic doesn't give you an advantage for having more raw power.

That being said, you do need to have enough shifts of power to buy the area size or number of targets desired.  I think that most wizards would be able to that though even if they prioritize offensive control more - especially for selective multitarget attacks, which seem like they'd quickly become completely useless if stretched too far, unless used in an ambush.

For Thaumaturgy, the consequences of a failed discipline can be catastrophic since you lose control over ALL the shifts of power generated so far, not just the ones in that exchange.  However, Conviction governs your flow rate, allowing you get more done in time critical situations - which seems like it'd also need Lore to work without prep time.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 08:22:39 PM »
Conceptually, doesn't your Conviction give you the cap on the size of an effect you could pull up safely.  You can get more out of the effect by precise placement but all the Discipline in the world isn't going to get you a maneuver that covers a house if your Conviction is low... Or am I missing something?
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis