Author Topic: Rite of Ascension?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline margath

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Rite of Water Breathing
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »
ok, i've got a question. let's say, i want to transform myself - or a willing target (just don't tell the council). (or let's say i want to give an ally the ability to breath water... )

what must I take into account? i presume the spell targets his or her endurance as a maneuver to stick the WATERBREATHING aspect on him or her.

must the spell just overcome the endurance rank or must i prepare the spell for endurance+fudge dice (which could make if quite difficult, when all are +)?

example: tha target has endurance 3 - should the spell then have a complexity of 3 (which would also mean that a practicioner with lore of 4 must take no additional preparations) or is the spell against and endurance roll? (which could have a maximum of 7, for which the spellcaster needs to channel more juice into the spell and needs additional preparations and/or foci or invoking of aspects).

Couldn't you do the same thing with a thamaturgic transformation of the element of water to the element of air for the person as a maneuver (Water turns to air when I breathe it!), for a duration of time dependent on the shifts you spent?  Since you're doing it as a maneuver, you may need the 3 shifts, but you're not being a Lawbreaker, and he probably doesn't need to roll any defense dice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Rite of Ascension?
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Say you want an effect that temporarily gives you the equivalent bonus as a stunt for example well use inhuman strength and or claws. what would the complexity be?

Inhuman Strength gives you (essentially) Weapon:2 bare hands, and claws give you Weapon:3.  That's a 3-shift spell effect when used once.  I'd start building from there, thinking about elements of duration adding shifts to the spell complexity.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »
Inhuman Strength gives you (essentially) Weapon:2 bare hands, and claws give you Weapon:3.  That's a 3-shift spell effect when used once.  I'd start building from there, thinking about elements of duration adding shifts to the spell complexity.

okay so it would be three shifts for the weapon three affect? then you add on for duration, that seems to work. because you'd be transforming yourself, do you need to have a minimum complexity to be able to fill up your stress track, or is that just when doing similar things to other people?
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 01:01:43 AM »
okay so it would be three shifts for the weapon three affect? then you add on for duration, that seems to work. because you'd be transforming yourself, do you need to have a minimum complexity to be able to fill up your stress track, or is that just when doing similar things to other people?
I'm mostly answering off the top of my head here. Let me back off from that, confer with folks who've been working more directly on the spell system, and get back to this in a bit.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 02:29:08 AM »
I'm mostly answering off the top of my head here. Let me back off from that, confer with folks who've been working more directly on the spell system, and get back to this in a bit.

much apreciated.
Brian Blacknight

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:18 AM »

This is very much like the question in my head when I read the PDF, which is: what would be the details of the 'turn into wolf spell' a.k.a. 'This will show you Billy; that Harry keeps saying the alphas just shortcut.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Rite of Water Breathing
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
Couldn't you do the same thing with a thamaturgic transformation of the element of water to the element of air for the person as a maneuver (Water turns to air when I breathe it!), for a duration of time dependent on the shifts you spent?  Since you're doing it as a maneuver, you may need the 3 shifts, but you're not being a Lawbreaker, and he probably doesn't need to roll any defense dice.

interesting idea. how about true transformations - say shapechange of the wizard himself? turning into an animal via thaumaturgy? if i got this right, you think I just have to go against the endurance score but not against endurance defense (which involves the dice). fine by me.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 08:49:39 PM »
interesting idea. how about true transformations - say shapechange of the wizard himself? turning into an animal via thaumaturgy? if i got this right, you think I just have to go against the endurance score but not against endurance defense (which involves the dice). fine by me.

you may  want to check out the stickied thread on thaumaturgical shapeshifting. but the answer appears to be fairly abstract. As i understand it. unlike with many other systems you start with the end result so to use your example of turning into a wolf, you have to first ask yourself well what is "being a wolf" going to give me?

If all you want is to be shaped like a wolf then that's probably doable as a temporary aspect via simple actions through thaumaturgy. Essentially you'd be using thaumaturgy to assess yourself as "a wolf" and the aspect would last as long as those rules say that it should.

Method one
Complexity will be determined by the gm based on how hard it is to "appear as a wolf" if such a thing where normally possible

Now if you want the same benefits that the alphas get while shape shifted into a wolf you can buy the relevant powers with refresh and use your magic as the "justification" for it, even doing so during play if you have the fate points to pay for it,[ this might make you an npc though] or you may use the "temporary" power rules on pg 92 of "your world" as explained in the previously mentioned sticky thread. if your low on fate points you could spend several actions creating appropriate aspects to then tag in liu of those [ how this works in your game is likely to change radically depending on your gm].

Method two
Not even gonna try to explain/represent this as a spell. i tried it wasn't pretty and i deleted it.

If your "wolf form" is somewhere in the middle of purely cosmetic and template then you can break it down to the specific changes you want. you want to effectively have an alertness and fists of 4, and move a bit faster. well that;s a base complexity of 9 [4+4+1] as per all spells[ i think] its base duration is determined by your st and then you can use the duration chart to add to that with higher complexity.[ or in one example given on the boards by LCDarkwood he inflicted a consequence on the character with the duration he wanted the affect to have and added that as an additional cost to the complexity: so a moderate consequence lasts a game session and eats a 4 stress hit thus costing 4 shifts of complexity]

Method three: Temporary combat wolf form
Complexity 11[20] [add your endurance and physical stress track to the base complexity if your st wants you to instinctively resist]

Gain the mild aspect of wolf your fists and alertness are treated as 4 and you can move one additional zone per move as per sprinting as long as this aspect remains on you.

if you don't want it as an "Consequence" then you've put two shifts into duration, you'll need to consult your dm and the chart to figure out its duration from there.

Brian Blacknight

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
you may  want to check out the stickied thread on thaumaturgical shapeshifting. but the answer appears to be fairly abstract.

yeah, found the thread today, and i feel all my animal-transformative urges fulfilled :-)