Author Topic: THAT part of the book  (Read 5241 times)

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
THAT part of the book
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »
I am at THAT part of the book.  Neil Gaiman wrote about it for NaNo 2007, part of his pep talk.
By now you're probably ready to give up. You're past that first fine furious rapture when every character and idea is new and entertaining. You're not yet at the momentous downhill slide to the end, when words and images tumble out of your head sometimes faster than you can get them down on paper. You're in the middle, a little past the half-way point. The glamour has faded, the magic has gone, your back hurts from all the typing, your family, friends and random email acquaintances have gone from being encouraging or at least accepting to now complaining that they never see you any more---and that even when they do you're preoccupied and no fun. You don't know why you started your novel, you no longer remember why you imagined that anyone would want to read it, and you're pretty sure that even if you finish it it won't have been worth the time or energy and every time you stop long enough to compare it to the thing that you had in your head when you began---a glittering, brilliant, wonderful novel, in which every word spits fire and burns, a book as good or better than the best book you ever read---it falls so painfully short that you're pretty sure that it would be a mercy simply to delete the whole thing.

Yep, that's the part I'm at.  He goes on to tell a story about how in the middle of "Anasi Boys" he called his agent to tell her that the book sucked, the characters sucked, the story sucked, the plot sucked, he sucked, and he was going to quit writing this book to start another that someone might want to read or possibly to be a bricklayer.  His agent responded, "Oh, you're at that part of the book."  Apparently, he does this on every book, he just hadn't realized it until then.  So, his agent told him, did every other client she has.

So I'm not giving up.  Even though my book sucks, the characters suck, the story sucks, the plot sucks, and I suck.  I figured I probably wasn't the only person to hit this wall, and since I have Gaiman's pep talk linked as a favorite for when I need the pep, I should pass it on.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: THAT part of the book
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
Heh.  I remember that story, though I can't remember if I read it on his blog, or he told it at the Anansi Boys signing I went to with a friend.  Oohhh...kitty!
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »
I know this is a bit of an old topic, but I am wondering how many other folks out there experience this... and right from the start?  I know I've been doing the whole song and dance about every other day. 

From what I've read, it is a VERY common malady, but nevertheless, I'm wondering how common it is here.
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
I certainly have my "this sucks" days.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 12:22:22 AM »
You know what sucks worse than your sucky book with sucky characters and a sucky plot line? Not finishing it so your editor/betas can help with the plotline and characters to turn suck into blow your mind awesome. That would be a tragic suck.

That pep-talkie enough?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 12:43:41 AM »
>.>

<.<

SHUT UP!  >.<

*runs away crying*

meh

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:45:14 AM »
Yeah, aak^3, next time you feel like giving this pep speech, just pass them the box of straws, 'K?

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 01:21:12 AM »
I'm thinking I wasn't understood properly. In other words/phrases I'm saying that you're writing it out for the first time and probably looks worse in your own mind than it actually is. Once you've created the rough diamond comes the polishing.

Does this make more sense?

Seriously, I'm not that big of an ass to say that what you're putting together sucks.
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore

meh

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:24:30 AM »
I'm thinking I wasn't understood properly.

You were.   We were giving you a hard time back.

In other words/phrases I'm saying that you're writing it out for the first time and probably looks worse in your own mind than it actually is. Once you've created the rough diamond comes the polishing.

Does this make more sense?

We understood, first time.    It was funny.

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 01:26:08 AM »
oh good. I was beginning to become distraught with my sucky communication skills.

meh

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:22 AM »
*passes 3aak a Dogfishhead 90minute to practice sucky communications skills on*

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 01:43:00 AM »
It was funny. ;D  My "runs away crying" thing is usually my jokey response to something I can't refute.  Since I was so positive about the direction my novel was heading and even solicited beta readers in this board, only to have my own negativity derail me (that and a first-reader who couldn't be bothered to plow his way through the entire thing)... I sorta took that post to heart!  I have no defense against it except *runs away crying* because I SHOULD finish it, I should get more than one disinterested opinion, and I should never let one bad opinion turn me against my own work.

And so I say...

SHUT UP! >.<

*runs away crying*

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 01:50:12 AM »
If you ever have a day where you're thinking your stuff sucks or just isn't all that great, read something that you know is poorly written and still got published.  Or procrastinate until you forget that you thought it sucked.  I don't really recommend that one, though.  It ends up being way too much procrastination.   :-\
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline kyoryu

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 07:14:13 AM »
Well, I'm not an author, I'm a programmer.  But I can tell you that "that part" seems to exist in just about any large project.  The part where you've worked on it long enough that you're used to the cool stuff, are just dealing with the flaws, and yet it hasn't come together yet.

It's a pain.  The only thing you can do is slog through it.

Offline arianne

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I thought the name for "that" part was writer's block?

From what I've heard, pretty much every writer has had a THAT part experience (why does this sound like we're all members of some exclusive THAT club?? :)) The general advice seems to be "write through it". I recently had a mini-THAT, and I found that just writing helped a lot. It doesn't really matter what you write, or how bad it sucks (if it even sucks at all--writers are infamous for their lack of objectivity towards their own work), because you can fix something that sucks. Always.

What you can't fix is something that isn't there.  ;D
I swear to you, by my own stunning good looks and towering ego, that I'm not lying to you.