Author Topic: How likeable does a main character have to be.  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
Re: How likeable does a main character have to be.
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »
I read the book Monument, by Ian Graham a while ago, and it seemed the author's intent to write about a protagonist who was entirely despicable in almost every way. He had no discernible morals, killed without any guilt, stole from those who showed him mercy and kindness, and ends up making life rather miserable for himself and anyone around him. He's a murderous lout who shows no mercy and repays no kindness, and who is incredibly effective at what he does. When he sets out to escape from a plot and fight for his own sense of freedom from a mystical religious order, it kicks up all sorts of nasty chaos. But it's an incredible book and definetely worth the read. A little bleak at times, yes, but well-written, energetic pacing, great world. A dark character that you don't really come to like...but maybe "like" isn't as important as "respect."

http://www.amazon.com/Monument-Ian-Graham/dp/B000IOF4UY/sr=8-1/qid=1170361327/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8623756-1343936?ie=UTF8&s=books

Check it out, and let me know what you think. Do you like the guy? Did you find the story compelling whether you did or not?

www.jrvogt.com
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline Dom

• Conversationalist
  • "I can't believe it's not Butters!"
    • View Profile
Re: How likeable does a main character have to be.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 05:54:53 AM »
Ha!  I was going to bring up Monument myself.  Great book - main character is interesting, but a total pig of all pigs.  He's horrible.  I really respect how that book was written--not very many authors could write a character that teeters on that line in just that way.

Much respect for that book and author.
- has put $0.10 in the pun tip jar as of today.