Author Topic: Sponsored Magic- a few questions  (Read 2511 times)

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
Sponsored Magic- a few questions
« on: April 13, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »
Ok, so the more I read up on it the more I become enamoured with Sponsored magic but I do have a few questions

1) Which sponsored magics can be taken without the backbone of mortal magic? Seelie and Unseelie have both been used in the books as a sole source of magic(re: the Knights). Kemmlerian necromancy obvious can't but what of the others? I can see the Places of Power source applying (do ritual X in location Y to gain access to magics Z) but from the books Soulfire and Hellfire seem mainly as supplemental, enhancing the existing Evocation, Channeling, Thumaturgy or Ritual abilities inherent in the character. Is that a fair run down? Or can their be characters who only weild Hellfire?

2) Focus Items. Can for example someone who has only Seelie Magic take the refinement ability to get focus items relating to it?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 01:18:35 AM by KnightFerrous »
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Sponsored Magic- a few questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:24:15 AM »
1. Only Kemmlerian Necromancy is explicitly restricted. I see no reason to believe that others wouldn't have been stated likewise if you couldn't have them on their own.

2. As per these threads:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,16545.0.html

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,17051.0.html

Yes, and you get the base four slots to boot, AND a particular brand of Sponsored Magic counts as an Element for Evocation purposes.

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:32:10 AM »
well I bow to your previous knowledge while cursing myself for making the newbie forum faux pas of not just looking for it first. Thanks for the links.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:55:32 AM »
well I bow to your previous knowledge while cursing myself for making the newbie forum faux pas of not just looking for it first. Thanks for the links.

Hey, no worries. They're good questions. You bringing them up proves I'm not completely insane for thinking they needed to be asked.  :)

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:09:10 AM »
Hey, no worries. They're good questions. You bringing them up proves I'm not completely insane for thinking they needed to be asked.  :)

Well you're not completely insane for asking them, not sure if you are completely insane for other reasons....

...Now i can't get the idea out of my head of a Soulfire wielding Janitor who was in the right place at the right time whose sole focus item is a 4 slotted Wooden Mop Handle that he is using as a staff...

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:17:14 AM »
Well you're not completely insane for asking them, not sure if you are completely insane for other reasons....

...Now i can't get the idea out of my head of a Soulfire wielding Janitor who was in the right place at the right time whose sole focus item is a 4 slotted Wooden Mop Handle that he is using as a staff...

He'd need Great Lore to get 4 slots in the mop handle, but this is totally doable. In a feet wet power level game. You give him Great Lore, Good Conviction, Good Discipline, Fair Rapport, Fair Craftsmanship, Fair Athletics, Average Endurance, Average Presence, Average Alertness, Average Empathy, and +1 each to Power and Control on Offense and Defense alike, and when the Lord is with him he's a Great spellcaster and four rotes available. When the lord's not with him he's a stubborn janitor who knows a few things about the occult.

Damn it, now I want to play this almost as much as the Templar whose Sword of the Temple is an Item of Power granting Soulfire.

Why do the cool ideas all involve Soulfire?

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:29:54 AM »
Why do the cool ideas all involve Soulfire?

Well because purifying silver flames are just bada- *cough* donkey.

...and we all know that the mental image of a janitor who runs out of juice and takes to whacking the denarians with a mop handle is the most bad donkey image of them all.

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »
Deadman i lay the blame for this story completely at your feet as my head would not let the idea go.
It is rules light as i am still mainly in the ideas portion of character creation less the crunch. This is my first attempt at writing down a character origin so blame that if it is bad. and no it isn't meant to be a full character just the origin.

And yes Joe in my real name, and yes this is me in the dresdenverse, don't give me that look, you've all done it.

High Concept: the Lord’s Janitor
Trouble: Cannot turn down a cry for help
Quote: “Someone has to clean up the mess the Heavy Hitters leave behind”

When Joe first got hired to do be a janitor at the local precinct he thought it would be as dull as every other maintenance job he had ever had. He was proven wrong when he was assigned to the Special Investigations Unit. Always a fan of myths and ghost stories he thrilled at the case files he would hear discussed while taking out the trash or mopping the floor. Joe laughed with the rest of them as he went about his duties, these stories couldn’t possibly be real especially since it was nothing like what they actually reported to their superior officers. He went through his days enjoying these tales of fancy, until of course the day of the Hell-poodle. To be fair the small man carrying the oversized case containing the toy poodle had told the officers it was possessed, just no one believed him until it grew three times it’s size and started to breath fire. As the monster chased people into the back rooms it, like seemingly everyone else, had ignored Joe and forgotten he was there. The stairwell was right there, he could be free and clear before the thing finished it’s meal…
   Never a religious man, Joe still believed in a higher power and as he unscrewed the mop handle he prayed “Lord, give me the strength to do what I must.” And as he charged through the door to where the hell spawn was feasting the Lord answered. Wreathed in silver flame he drove the poodle away from the innocents with sharp cracks of his impromptu staff and as he cornered the beast he leveled the staff and simply said “bad doggy” as it was engulfed in a gout of flame.
Aspect gained: So help me God, it’s all real.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:05:50 PM by KnightFerrous »

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:26 PM »
That sounds awesome, actually. :)

Though it's more Rising Conflict than Background. His Background and associated Aspect should be from before working for SI. Then you get to come up with a Novel.