Author Topic: Basic rule question: adding aspects  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
Basic rule question: adding aspects
« on: April 09, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »
This is probably obvious to all, but this is my first try with FATE so I am still a bit confused...

Can you add an aspect on yourself?

For example, in a fight someone demolish one of your friend. Can you (and how) put the aspect "Seeking vengence" or something similar on your character?

Would that be a declaration using...empathy?

"My best friend just got vaporized by Mister X, it only makes sense that I am mad and seek vengence"

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
Re: Basic rule question: adding aspects
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 09:08:12 PM »
If you have an anger related aspect and a "friends/family are important" aspect, you could use them.  I don't think you can just temporarily take an aspect (I know taking a consequence can... does a friend dying inflict mental or social stress?).

You could use a maneuver to add an aspect to the scene.  In this case the maneuver might be running over to your dead friend, clutching the body, and doing your best William Shatner ("KAAAAAAAAHN!!!").
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Basic rule question: adding aspects
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 07:48:12 PM »
Yeah, you have a few options here:

* Express it as a mental consequence of the appropriate level.

* If you're talking about temporary, hot, blinding rage, express it as a maneuver.

* If you want something more lasting, and this is a story element that's going to last you a while, you may want to rename one of your aspects during your next minor milestone to reflect the change in your character.