Author Topic: The scope of Thematic Thamaturgy  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The scope of Thematic Thamaturgy
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:38:52 PM »
Hi all,

Just looking for any advice on vetting the scope of a Thaumaturgy Theme. I've re-read the section of the rules several times and I'm struggling with grasping what would be too broard or too narrow for a theme.

Thoughts?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: The scope of Thematic Thamaturgy
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
Do you have a few themes in mind you'd like to run past us? This might work better as a "workshop".
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »
Not my topic but I have an example...

I have a Focused Practitioner Terramancer, would Thematic Terramancy be too broad? In my mind that would mean he could do tracking spells with a electromagnetic theme, wards with an earth/electric theme, and craft items to aid him controlling these Earth Forces. I'm concerned this isn't a theme, just a cheat. But for what I have in mind, it doesn't seem much different than the Photomancy example on page 286.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
Actually that sounds fine to me. I'd want to encourage you to have a nice detailed conversation with your GM about what the limitations of Terramantic Rituals are -- what they *can't* do -- so you'll have a clear picture of what the limitations are on that ability. But otherwise, I dig it... no pun intended.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 11:21:24 PM »
From glancing through Thaumaturgy types... I can see some obvious thing I could and can't do but one thing interests me. Veils.

Since Veils can bend light to hide things, which light is just part of the electromagnetic spectrum... I could see someone using Earth instead of Spirit to make a Veil
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
From glancing through Thaumaturgy types... I can see some obvious thing I could and can't do but one thing interests me. Veils.

Since Veils can bend light to hide things, which light is just part of the electromagnetic spectrum... I could see someone using Earth instead of Spirit to make a Veil

Right, but that's the point at which it feels like you're having to stretch your thinking. (Or maybe it's the other way around -- you're a Magnetomancer, but that means that actually moving earth around is harder for you to conceptualize.)

The way I'd do an earth veil would involve more like "become one with the ground". :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »
Magnetomancer, I like that. I just noticed more things I was doing had to do with electromagnetism/lightning than the Earth itself.

Offline Cajun Guy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »
I think shadowmancy would be cool and fit the cannon stories.  Also some kind of beastmaster (don't know a good term) type powers. imagine being able to call a large swarm of rats or roaches on someone. It could be a summoning , control type but focused on animals instead of spirits or demons. I imagine in the city roaches would make great spies and they taste like chicken too.  ;)

Cajun Guy

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 01:55:11 PM »
A quick question on thsi idea could a Picturamancey work? Pictura is Latin for Painting)

Basic theroy would be the character paints a picture of the effect he would like to happening. Then when he wants the effect to happen like a potion) or on completion of the painting/spelling he invests so of this will and, shazam.....

Would this work as a thematic idea?

Could I have Focus items of paint brushes.....

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 01:58:55 PM »
I love that as an idea for a style of Thaumaturgic ritual, but I'm not 100% sure if I see the limits on it -- putting together a thaumaturgic ritual is a slow effort anyway, and painting might just be one method of that.
Fred Hicks

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 02:08:43 PM »
Well in it own rights is that dact that he needs materials to perform any magic limiting enough (specifically drawing/painting materials and a surface, eg Molly can create a Veil on the fly but if the Picturamancor (not sure how to spell this) wanted to create a a veil he would have to draw himself hiding (if he had the materials to do this in the first place)

Is the limitation of limited situational usage enough or till to broad?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
The limitation you just laid out is the division line between Thaumaturgy (which often requires physical components and a ritual area to set up) and Evocation.  So mainly I think you've outlined a character who has Thaumaturgy that's expressed through painting, but NOT Evocation. That makes you very versatile, but rarely if ever able to pull things off in the middle of a fight.
Fred Hicks

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »
So would that fall under sorcerer as a template? Rather than Focused Practioner?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
So would that fall under sorcerer as a template? Rather than Focused Practioner?

More or less, yeah. Sorcerer sans Evocation. Though maybe it's its own thing. A "Thaumaturgist" template or whatnot, never able to take Evocation, but able to go deep on Refinement.
Fred Hicks

Offline Cajun Guy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 07:19:45 PM »
i think you could cobine evocation with drawing or writing. it wouldn't be anything other than a different explanation of how it is done. Like the anime where the wizard cats a spell by writing it on a slip of paper. It would be just as Harry shouts fozare but writting it instead of saying it. it probably wouldn't be a game mechanic as much as a flavor to how the person approaches spells. You could say the same for just using hand gestures rather than vocal components.

Let me know if I am remotely on point. ha-ha

CG