Author Topic: Angels in the Dresden Universe  (Read 7709 times)

Offline DragonDM

• Conversationalist
  • Randome Encounter #13 *
    • View Profile
Re: Angels in the Dresden Universe
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2010, 02:39:23 PM »
While I can see it with demonic scions I can't with Changelings, at least not every time.  Sure, trolls and ogres, but people could be easily swayed by a particularly lovely sidhe into a night of passion, especially if they didn't know the true nature of their lover.  With the right glamour it would work for uglier Fae as well.  Even the ugliest troll might be looking for a little love in the mortal realm!

Remember that the Immortal Beings (Angels, Fallen, Fey, and Demons) are all 'locked in' their ways
- in other words, they can't do anything outside their Purpose, or against their Nature.
A demon that does nothing but eat people is not inclined to mate with a Human, unless forced to do so by another Human.
And it's going to hate all of them: Master, Mate, and Offspring - and want to eat them all, and at the first possible moment.

The problem with most of the 'Immortal Beings' (Fey, Demons, etc) is that they don't really understand Love.
Lust, yes. Power (as in 'a controllable agent in the mortal Realm'), yes. Legacy (powerful descendants), yes.
Running a Deception upon a mortal, for the mere fun of it? Yes, especially the Sidhe: The longer lasting the Joke, the better.

Scions of Fey and Demons are scary to both sides of their Heritage, simply because they have great power and are unpredictable due to their Human Free Will.

Angels are pure Love, just as they are pure Spirit/Soul.
Scions of Angels were created by and for Love, but caused the Angel to Fall.

Fallen are exiled Angels, but still remember pure Love, but may no longer seek to help it flourish.
Remember that only the Denarians (30 silver Denari coins) are able to directly influence Humans, by tempting those that take up their coins - if the Human gives too much Will/Choice away, and they can dominate you. I'd think that even these trying to mate with Humans would still rarely produce Scions. Mostly because they have to figure out how to bypass their Mortal Host's 'limits'.

Scions of Fallen are every bit as scary as Fey/Demon Scions, and for the same reasons.
All the Nephilim are akin to hated half-breeds: they get flack from all sides, simply because they were born.
And the Heavenly Hosts don't respond to Nephilim any more they they do with any other Mortal Human, which means that you end up with a lot of them with the "Angstified Teenager" syndrome.
"True Treasure is in the heart."

Offline svb1972

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 02:49:04 PM »
Nephilim are one of the most tragic parts of the Torah.
Beings of Love fell in love with mortal women.  They beget upon them children which caused the angels to Fall.  (And Angels still Fall to this day).  Nephilim were so hated by God that he sent the Flood to destroy them.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 03:03:24 PM »
While I can see it with demonic scions I can't with Changelings, at least not every time.  Sure, trolls and ogres, but people could be easily swayed by a particularly lovely sidhe into a night of passion, especially if they didn't know the true nature of their lover.  With the right glamour it would work for uglier Fae as well.  Even the ugliest troll might be looking for a little love in the mortal realm!
Hence the word "most"  :P

I'm really wanting to play a Nephilim now, I think it'd be a very interesting character depending on how they were raised.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 05:11:35 PM »
I really like the idea of a Nephilim, if you where to give him inhuman toughness what sort of Catch do you give the son child, decendant of an angel.....

"Unholy Stuff".... ALSO a technical term.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »
Keep in mind that on YW58, in the discussion on gods in the Dresdenverse, it says:

It is said that most gods are the first generation scions of angels, demons, or powerful beings of the Nevernever. Some of them are
derelict angels—not cast out of Heaven, but just departed on their own.

This suggests that angel scions are definitely possible, but more than that, that angels possess the free will to CHOOSE to leave Heaven. You could think of characters like Hercules as a scion of angel-god Zeus. Or something like that.  :)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 06:11:36 PM »
"Unholy Stuff".... ALSO a technical term.

Of course, if they don't come up against "Unholy Stuff" very often then they won't get much of a discount.  So the question is, what IS the discount for "Unholy Stuff"?
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline DragonDM

• Conversationalist
  • Randome Encounter #13 *
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 08:11:38 PM »
Nephilim are one of the most tragic parts of the Torah.
Beings of Love fell in love with mortal women.  They beget upon them children which caused the angels to Fall.  (And Angels still Fall to this day).  Nephilim were so hated by God that he sent the Flood to destroy them.

Actually, there are two parts to the Flood:
(1) Mankind was falling deeply into Sin, to the point that God could only find Noah and his immediate Family as acceptable. It was to git rid of this that he decided that something needed to be done.

(2) There were a LOT of Nephilim and other Scions running around, and starting to become a real problem to The Plan.
From what I understand, a lot of the stories of Giants and the Old Gods (Perhaps even the Elder Gods) came from.

And so GOD sent The Flood, which wiped them out (or at least their mortal forms), and God then barred all the Scions from the Moral Plan from then on.

As for the Now - Jesus's sacrifice means that a lot of those GOD SMITING days are over, and Scions are treated as being Mortal.
I also think that because of the Limitation, Scions receive a lot less power.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:17:31 PM by DragonDM »
"True Treasure is in the heart."