Author Topic: The Books and the RPG  (Read 2365 times)

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Books and the RPG
« on: April 07, 2010, 03:31:46 PM »
So I was thinking when I start up a DFRPG of following the plot line of the first 10 books. Well at least starting that way if the group ends up going in a different direction I won't railroad them. None of them have read the books though a few saw the tv series when it was on and liked it. So basically I'll be dropping Harry from the game itself. So I'm looking for opinions, thoughts any pitfalls you might see. What things should I make sure to hit on things to skip. Just any advice people here might have.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: The Books and the RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:41:58 AM »
The biggest downside is if your players actually pick up the books.  You'd have to modify enough of the plot line that you might as well have started from scratch.  While it can be done, (and if they don't read the books) it'll be like using a module for some other system that will remain nameless.  You'll have a good framework but if you can't "make it your own" it'll play like a railroad.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 12:17:21 PM »
One challenge with doing that is that a group of PCs would probably smash through a lot of challenges that Harry has trouble with on his own. I'd probably focus more on using the books for ideas rather than just running the PCs through it.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:22:49 PM »
I plan on using the books for 'what it' con scenarios.  With a well known series this can be quite rewarding (I've been doing it for years with Amber Diceless).   :D
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:51:20 PM »
That idea can work. Even if they've read all the books, your players will alter the game with their unique characters and their subsequent stories.

For instance, Lea won't pop into your game and be involved with events necessarily unless someone has a connection to her. If Harry never had to deal with his Fairy Godmother it would be completely different.

That is assuming of course that your players make their own characters and not just put their own spin on known ones(Which could also be fun).
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline bestial warlust

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 06:44:57 PM »
That idea can work. Even if they've read all the books, your players will alter the game with their unique characters and their subsequent stories.

For instance, Lea won't pop into your game and be involved with events necessarily unless someone has a connection to her. If Harry never had to deal with his Fairy Godmother it would be completely different.

That is assuming of course that your players make their own characters and not just put their own spin on known ones(Which could also be fun).

I'm thinking of having them make their own and play out the events. I expect there could be a different outcome based on cecisions they make.

Offline Brock

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 08:52:36 PM »
I think that using all of the current events would be denying the players the ability to react to all kinds of fallout from what Dresden himself was a part of.

For instance, St. Louis or Kansas City are fantastic staging grounds for the various Courts before they make a move on Chicago. It's outside of Harry's immediate range, but not outside of their resources.

I plan on starting my Chapter before Bianca's death and letting them feel the escalation in game as events unfold.  They don't need to know anything about what Harry's doing to further the plot and it gives my players the chance to think of him as a lunatic, a hero, a bad-cat or even an untrustworthy Lawbreaker. It would be up to them, but entirely an outside perspective.

Most of the books really have nothing to do with any other chronicle anywhere. They're just good examples of how to weave your own story.  If you go through any book and take the basic steps down and then build your story with new names it can be just as entertaining.