Author Topic: Typo thread  (Read 26697 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Typo thread
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2010, 03:23:49 PM »
I'm not sure that's necessary. You need to use magic to break a Law, and we have no evidence at all of the Gatekeeper using magic to seek knowledge of beyond the Outer Gates. Mundane research? Sure, I'm sure he does that lots. Reaching there with his Magic? That strikes me as both stupid and suicidal, two things Rashid most definitely is not. And doing mundane research no more breaks the Seventh Law than shooting someone breaks the First.

its actually stated a few times that merely researching about the outer gates is a violation though that could be harry / bob overstating things. but most importantly it clearly states that the gatekeeper maintains the wards on the outer gates, that would be pretty hard to do without , knowing how wards that would be effective against beings that seem to be highly resistant to mortal magic would work, and using said magic. thus kinda by definition to be the "gatekeeper" the one who guards the outer gates he must have sought knowledge about the outsiders. just because its his job and he doesn't face social sanction for it doesn't mean he is immune to the metaphysical consequences, and he doesn't have a black-staff plot device to protect him like Ebenezer dose.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »
heres some reevent quotes from "your story"

Characters can also stumble across the
Seventh Law, thanks to the particulars of its
wording: namely, the prohibition against even
researching the Outside. A GM looking to put a
particularly nasty choice in front of her players
could easily “hide” a piece of knowledge within a
forbidden tome of Outsider lore. And if a life is
on the line, isn’t it worth the risk? (The Outsiders
of your game would certainly hope so.)

and

Furthermore, the
Outside’s intentions are so dark, so dire, that the
Seventh Law is the only one on the books that
isn’t conditioned upon casting a spell. Even doing
research on the Outside and its inhabitants is
verboten, let alone actually pulling power from
there

So you clearly dont have to cast a spell to break this law.
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »
The 7th law is one that's open to a lot of interpretation on a game by game basis.  And some of what you're quoting about is more about its enforcement (by Wardens) than it is about whether or not that actually means you gotta take the Lawbreaker ability. :)

At *my* table, I'd probably condition the ability on actual spellcraft, but sic the Wardens on your ass if you weren't discreet about your research.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 18, 2010, 03:38:10 PM »
The 7th law is one that's open to a lot of interpretation on a game by game basis.  And some of what you're quoting about is more about its enforcement (by Wardens) than it is about whether or not that actually means you gotta take the Lawbreaker ability. Smiley

At *my* table, I'd probably condition the ability on actual spell craft, but sic the Wardens on your ass if you weren't discreet about your research.

so in your interpretation you only get this stunt if you do research and draw power from beyond the outer gates. meaning that just the research while suspicious isn't a crime, and using magic to attack, divine, or in any other way that's not "drawing power" isn't?
Brian Blacknight

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
My interpretation is that the research IS a crime (bringing the Wardens after you with the long knives out), but it doesn't taint your soul (i.e., require the stunt) until you cast a spell using it.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2010, 03:49:46 PM »
doesn't taint your soul (i.e., require the stunt) until you cast a spell using it.

such as perhaps casting wards on the gates themselves...
Brian Blacknight

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2010, 05:46:33 PM »
I'm only running off the demo version I got with my pre-order, but two things:

OW122 - Michael's Carpenter's character sheet notes describe his Athletics as Good, when they are listed as Great. Additionally, it talks of defensive options, with Athletics as lowest, when Endurance may be the one, listed as Good. And is Weapons intended to be described as a defensive skill (which makes sense, but noting it).

OW108 - Deborah Benn's character sheet mentions, under skills, "While in wolf-form (shown above)..." when there is nothing "above" relating to her wolf-form. Perhaps I am simply confused on this point, though.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2010, 05:48:53 PM »
OW108 - Deborah Benn's character sheet mentions, under skills, "While in wolf-form (shown above)..." when there is nothing "above" relating to her wolf-form. Perhaps I am simply confused on this point, though.

Her skill list (shown above the comment in question) is her skill list in wolf form. Her human form skills are somewhat different.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
Tiny adjustments made. Thanks!
Fred Hicks

Offline Holocron.Coder

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »
Her skill list (shown above the comment in question) is her skill list in wolf form. Her human form skills are somewhat different.

Ah, ok. That wasn't quite that clear. On that note, though, the skll list has "Guns: Mediocre" without the value "(+0)" next to it. That may be intended, but it's the first time I've seen it while reading.
DV HolocronCoder v1.2 YR3 FR1.5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH+ WG+++ CL+ BC+ MC+++++ SH[Murph++ Molly+ Thomas---]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2010, 06:21:26 PM »
Ah, ok. That wasn't quite that clear. On that note, though, the skll list has "Guns: Mediocre" without the value "(+0)" next to it. That may be intended, but it's the first time I've seen it while reading.

Those errors crept in a few places. I've fixed 'em.
Fred Hicks

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:45 AM »
OW214: Carlos Rameriez's Evocation lists "Force" As an element.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010, 12:53:05 PM »
OW 93: Zombie. Doesnt have a Catch.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2010, 01:36:02 PM »
My guess is that Living Dead is intended to act as a zombies catch. They dont mention it doing so, but Im guessing that it was their intent.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2010, 02:41:37 PM »
Thanks, we'll address them.
Fred Hicks