Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 138025 times)

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #345 on: November 01, 2010, 03:35:43 PM »
Jim, how was your birthday?

Suckup.  I wish I had thought of that.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 04, 2010, 06:20:13 AM »
was "injun joe" nekkid when he transforms in TC because the alphas always are.?

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #347 on: November 04, 2010, 12:58:08 PM »
was "injun joe" nekkid when he transforms in TC because the alphas always are.?

LOL. Probably not. Harry didn't have a foot-in-mouth moment when Joe finished fighting off Shagnasty, and Joe is Native American. The type of shifting that Joe did has nothing to do with the spell that the Alphas use when they shift. Not to mention, the spell that the Alphas use only shifts them into werewolf mode, and Joe can shift into other creatures at will.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2010, 05:41:28 AM »
Yeah but I don't think it specifically mentions what happens to his clothes though. Maybe Harry could make magic transformity clothes for the alphas.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2010, 05:43:28 AM »
Suckup.  I wish I had thought of that.

It's not like he actually answers these
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »

He has. He's just busy.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
Oh I didn't mean any against him but has he actually posted in this thread?
Sir  Reginald.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
Oh I didn't mean any against him but has he actually posted in this thread?
I don't think he has posted in this one but he has posted in the earlier parts, and sometimes he replies in other topics in the forum ;)
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2010, 04:17:11 PM »
gotcha
Sir  Reginald.

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 05, 2010, 08:10:51 PM »
I think he used to post here more often, but not so much in recent years, that I've seen. Maybe because there are so many questions from readers these days that it would be tough to keep up with all of them.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
Not to mention, as soon as he posts, and the forum goers cotton on to that fact, they go haring after him for answers. Which he never fully answers. Or if he does answer, he leaves it open-ended to a million forms of interpretation... which you'd think we'd remember by this point :-\
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline horsehearted

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • I have a tumblr
« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2010, 11:04:53 PM »

Mr. Butcher sneaks into the forum like a NINJA and posts in a couple different places before anyone realizes, then there is a rush to get to those threads, and then Mr. Butcher tends to leave after answering a few questions and responding to a few comments. He's been busy, he made a lot of con appearances and added Side Jobs to his schedule this year. I figured he wouldn't be here in a while. And for about a month after he's made an appearance people are all abuzz and on very best behavior hoping to spot him again.

He definitely does bop into his forum to see how things are here, pats his rabid fans on the head, and hand out a tidbit of information that leaves us completely confused and ravenous for more.
Seriously - with proper battering & frying, tractor parts are delicious!
I'M A PRETTY, PRETTY PRINCESS!

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #357 on: November 06, 2010, 12:33:26 AM »
Mr. Butcher sneaks into the forum like a NINJA and posts in a couple different places before anyone realizes, then there is a rush to get to those threads, and then Mr. Butcher tends to leave after answering a few questions and responding to a few comments. He's been busy, he made a lot of con appearances and added Side Jobs to his schedule this year. I figured he wouldn't be here in a while. And for about a month after he's made an appearance people are all abuzz and on very best behavior hoping to spot him again.

He definitely does bop into his forum to see how things are here, pats his rabid fans on the head, and hand out a tidbit of information that leaves us completely confused and ravenous for more.

^^^^

This.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2010, 02:35:04 PM »
Ok I went over all the questions (some I mighta missed while skimming since there is so much banter in this topic) and found all the ones that have relevant WoJ's (edit:  relevent =/= were answered).  Most of these that had answers were old ones so the posters might already be aware of the answers.

Was Harry's Grandmother (
(click to show/hide)
) a Wizard? Or rather, did she have any magical talent at all?

2010 Mysterious Galaxy Q&A
Do you have it planned out who Harry's grandmother is? @6:05
Yes... Well she's not alive any more.
Was she significant?
Well, she was a mortal.  That was about it.

Love the books, even though Changes was a little traumatic. What can you tell us about what happens next without giving too much away?

2010 Dragon-Con @5:15
Can you give us a teaser for Ghost Story?
Ghost story is so named because Dresden gets stuck with solving his own murder.  He actually gets sent back to handle it, except there's no body available, so he has to do it as a ghost.  Dresden has to deal with all the laws of being a supernatural spirit, and a ghost from the other end of the stick.  Which I have a really great time with because he's so non-competent at that.  One of my favorite bits so far is when he's learning the basic ghost stuff and he's like, "You know, I finally understand why it is that ghosts are always howling and moaning when they appear out of the floor or the wall.  Passin through that stuff hurts."
SFBC @ 2010 NYCC @1:31
Could you share a little bit of what’s in store for Dresden in Ghost Story
In Ghost Story, it’s the 13th book of the series, Harry gets sent back to Chicago as a ghost.  He has to solve his own murder, and if he doesn’t there’s going to be horrible consequences to the people he loves.  So we get to see Chicago through a slightly different lens as Dresden is coming back as a ghost.  Of course the real problem is that as that with 12 books going before him with various bad guys coming to mess around in Chicago, Harry has left a few ghosts around the city himself, and you know they are looking for some payback.  It’s kinda like what happens when the cop gets sent to jail.  

Why aren't vampire predator spirits left at the door when they cross a threshold? I mean, if the human part of Thomas can die with the demon part staying alive, why not the other way around?

2010 Lee’s Summit signing
 Q:  Are the White Court affected by thresholds?
A:  Not really, they’re too mortal.  But they might be affected if they were mostly vamped out when trying to cross a threshold.

Hey Jim, saw you at the 'Changes' signing in SoCal & forgot to ask you about this.

Way back in 'Death Masks (??) Shiro mentioned a 'Jade Court' of vampires. Will we ever get to 'see' them? All we got was that one little reference & I've been wondering about them ever since.

2010 Huston signing:
Q:  Do you have any plans for the Jade Court to show up?
A:  The Jade Court is adamantly not involved.  They are very busy being not involved.

Here's a question: Aside from that brief glimpse (not even a glimpse really) of her in SK, is Titania ever going to make herself known the way Mab constantly does? It just occurred to me when I reread Small Favor that we've met all of the Sidhe Queens except, officially, for her.

2009 Independence signing:
Q:  Harry’s met all the other ladies-queens-mothers - will we ever actually meet Titania?
A:  The thing is, Titania’s only interest is messing with Harry.

2010 Bitten by Books Q&A:
#399 “We’ve met and spent time with 5 out of the 6 fairy queens. Is there a specific reason that you’ve kept Harry from a face to face with Titania? Other than of course the obvious reason that she wants him dead.”
Yes. :D

2010 Powell's books Q&A off of Youtube @4:18
Are we ever going to get to meet Titania?
Yes... but it's going to be a while, probably not until the last three books.  She's heavy duty.

New question for Jim:
Did Harry name his foundling kitten after Mister Mistoffeles from the play Cats?
After all, that Mister has a magic/stage illusion theme...

I didn’t transcribe this WoJ out, but there is an audio interview somewhere where Jim says that he used to participate in a chat room back in the 90’s that had a guy in it that had a cat that would walk on his keyboard and randomly have him post something like “iozueas,xoagazxcda” and his cat’s name was Mister.  It got to the point where if anyone accidentally posted gibberish, the rest of the chat room would say “Hi Mister.”  Mister is named after that cat.  Interestingly enough Mickey Finn also participated in that chat room before and after Jim did, and recognized where the name came from before he became a beta.  (here’s a link to the post where Mickey said that, the post establishes that the chat was a text based rpg or something)

Okay, so House Raith feeds on sexual energy, and people affected by true love burns them. Is the entirety of the White Court affected by love the way the Raith clan is, or is it different for Malvora and Skavis? Because for Skavis, the opposite of despair is technically hope...

2009 Bitten by Books Q&A:
#62 “You’ve said that True Love (real True Love) only protects against WCVamps feeding on lust. What protects against the other WCVamps?”
It isn’t real complicated that way. The vamps who feed on fear get bad effects from real courage. Those who feed on despair choke on hope. :)

'Nother question - who is Jim's favorite "hero" and "villian" to write excluding Harry?

2009 Lexington signing:
Q:  Jim’s favorite recurring villain?
A:  Marcone, when he’s being a villain.  And Nicodemus, because he is pure evil.

As the Blackstaff we know Eb can break the laws of magic, has he ever brought someone back from the dead?

Doesn’t answer your question, but here’s a WoJ that certainly is pertinent (and possibly prophetic)
Quote from: WoJ response pertaining to DFTV Bob
Ah.  But what did he have to DO to ressurect his dead love, is the question.  Bob says "he crossed the line.  Several times."  And while the magic isn't being depicted from the same angle as the books, there /are/ several similarities in the rules that govern magic, one of which is: you don't get something for nothing.  The forces of magic exist in balance.  I mean, if you want to bring back someone from the dead, it's only reasonable that someone /else/ must . . .
(source)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 05:10:09 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 23, 2010, 11:01:25 AM »
Someone's probably already asked this ..but i'm too lazy to read through the pages.

what's happened to harry's cleaning crew , did they have to clean up the mess after changes?  :)