Author Topic: Character bias  (Read 2026 times)

logarithm.and.blues

Character bias
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:35:25 AM »
My English teacher (who I've been asking for advice) says that my writing so far has a bias towards other characters. Is that even possible to avoid, though, with a first person narrator?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Character bias
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 02:46:49 AM »
My English teacher (who I've been asking for advice) says that my writing so far has a bias towards other characters. Is that even possible to avoid, though, with a first person narrator?

No.  There is no such thing as a narrator without some biases, because humans have them.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:08:06 PM »
Personally I think a narrator without bias is kinda boring.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:59:53 AM »

Can you explain having a bias "toward" other characters? Does that mean that your narrator favors the supporting cast when he shouldn't? I'm confuzzled.  ???
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats

logarithm.and.blues

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 11:09:01 PM »
I have no idea, honestly. She said that the way I wrote the dialogue made it seem like I, as the author, favored certain characters.

Offline BobForPresident

• Posty McPostington
  • Everything lasts forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »
I have no idea, honestly. She said that the way I wrote the dialogue made it seem like I, as the author, favored certain characters.

Maybe she thinks your dialogue sounds like another character somewhere in your work...or mebbe in popular culture. Sometimes I have to remind myself that my main character doesn't always have to talk like Drasek Riven from the Erevis Cale trilogy.  :)
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?" - Keats