Author Topic: Curious  (Read 11402 times)

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
Re: Curious
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2007, 06:22:46 AM »
I finished my latest story today... the first one I've actually finished in a long time. I've been wandering around feeling a bit lost today.

Heh. I don't have a problem with that here. I always have at least 4 going. More often, 6 to 10. :D
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
ref. your first posting.  How the heck do you write an ending first?  Is this unsual or does my mind only work from beginning to end? I'm not a normal type thinker but writing the ending first, puts me upside down.  Unless you just love teasing apart puzzles?    :D
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2007, 11:06:36 PM »
ref. your first posting.  How the heck do you write an ending first?  Is this unsual or does my mind only work from beginning to end? I'm not a normal type thinker but writing the ending first, puts me upside down.  Unless you just love teasing apart puzzles?    :D

I literally write the ending first. Sit down and knock out so many words of epic or intimate confrontation between people having no idea how they got there or WHY they are doing what they are doing. It's generally a full scene.

I make up characters in my head all the time. I'll see a pretty girl or a shady looking guy while shopping and the old brain will start spinning  webs about them. They aquire names. Pasts. Odd habits. Some fade away. Some start scheming. Eventually, they make their fate known to me. It makes sense to me. You don't start on a journey without a destination in mind. Once the destination is chosen, the process becomes one of investing that fate with all the power my imagination can muster.

For example:

For the past two years I have been slowly writing an epic fantasy novella called The Woman Who Hitchiked With Cats. The genesis of the story was myself waking up from a sound sleep with the final scene in my head. A very old woman in fur and leather in a bizarre saloon says: "My name is Charity. And, here on the Borderland, Charity is a stone cold bitch." She rises up, kicks over the table, pulls a massive gun and begins executing every sumbitch in the place.

I also knew the following, on some deep and secret level:

She wore the skull of a cat as a talisman, and the skull had eyesockets as black as space.

Her name was not Charity. That was an alias. And, in her journey to this grubby saloon on the edge of reality, she'd also worn the names Faith and Hope.

I just have to get her there. And there lies the pain, the agony, and the utter primal joy of writing for me. :)

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline Kathleen Dante

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Kathleen Dante | Erotic Romance Author
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2007, 11:48:58 PM »
I literally write the ending first. Sit down and knock out so many words of epic or intimate confrontation between people having no idea how they got there or WHY they are doing what they are doing. It's generally a full scene.

I do that, too. Write the ending first without any idea how the characters got there, I mean. Well, usually, I already have a start. The challenge becomes connecting the two.  :D
DREAMWALKER - Available now from Berkley Heat
ENDANGERED - Available now from Berkley Heat
http://www.kathleendante.com

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 10:22:55 PM »
I do that, too. Write the ending first without any idea how the characters got there, I mean. Well, usually, I already have a start. The challenge becomes connecting the two.  :D

Once I have my ending I can then proceed to craft an intriguing and evocative beginning. I am primarily a writer of short fiction which is, IMO, as much about structure and theme as character and narrative. I feel that beginnings and endings should be deeply linked and feel inevitable.

Then comes the middle, and the middle is the hard part! :D

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline Kelli

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 05:06:57 AM »
The last story I did, which is the first one I've actually finished in forever, I started with writing down just a couple of simple lines of how I wanted it to end, then did the same for the beginning, and then a one or two sentence synopsis of each chapter along the way that would lead me from one end to the other. It worked quite well.

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 07:06:29 PM »
I finished my latest story today... the first one I've actually finished in a long time. I've been wandering around feeling a bit lost today.

I have pretty much finished my first book, a fantasy.  Now I'm shopping it to agents (a task in itself).  But I've also started the next book I want to write, a ghost story.  It's very exciting.  I've got it outlined and have already started principle writing.  I've been putting ideas together for months.  It took about three separate ideas to come to mind at different times, then to merge to become my book.  A lot of the inspiration actually came from one idea that I wrote into a short story.  I liked a lot of the elements so much I'm blending them into the novel.

So, best thing?  Try to get writing again.  Easier said than done, I know.

Matt
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline InkSlinger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 12:30:04 AM »
I have pretty much finished my first book, a fantasy.  Now I'm shopping it to agents (a task in itself).  But I've also started the next book I want to write, a ghost story.  It's very exciting.  I've got it outlined and have already started principle writing.  I've been putting ideas together for months.  It took about three separate ideas to come to mind at different times, then to merge to become my book.  A lot of the inspiration actually came from one idea that I wrote into a short story.  I liked a lot of the elements so much I'm blending them into the novel.

Matt
I'm agent shopping also. Fun isn't it? I'm almost 50k words into my next work. The writing is fun...the selling...not so much.

Offline Kelli

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 07:24:51 AM »
I have. I've been outlining a new one and drafted the first couple of chapters.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 10:19:35 PM »

Meg --

I wanted to say 'Thanks!' for asking this question. In answering, you got me re-into the story I talked about. It had been a while since I worked on it. I needed a break from the grind of 2nd Drafting my novel, and I'm burning up the keyboard, making excellent progress. I may actually finish it this month, after two years of writing. :D

Muchas gracias!

-G.

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2007, 11:40:28 PM »
Jack, so pleased to be of help. I've thought often of your Faith, Hope and Charity.  Enjoy the ride! She sounds like a heck of a character. By the way, I'm writing an ending without a beginning.  I'll let you know how it turns out.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2007, 05:00:58 AM »
Jack, so pleased to be of help. I've thought often of your Faith, Hope and Charity.  Enjoy the ride! She sounds like a heck of a character. By the way, I'm writing an ending without a beginning.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

Please do!

Oh, and if you're curious, I've put the first two sections online:

The Woman Who Hitchiked With Cats (Work In Progress). I'd love to hear your comments. :)

-- Tool, The Patient

Offline zephyr

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
For me it's around page 100.  It's early enough that the end isn't in sight and late enough to question the hundred pages I've already written...I love the last 50 pages. 

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
*watches the thread stagger around* It's alive... It's ALIVE!!!

For what it's worth, the ending is usually a mad, downhill slalom ride for me.  All I can do is hang on, try to keep up with the action, and pray I don't get flung off the toboggan and into a tree.  The middle's the worst, the absolute worst.  Usually by then I've set up my beginning and drawn the story lines, and I probably have some notion of where I'm going to end up, what the big climax is going to be.  I just can't make middles that work.  Heck, you can even see that in the Dresden fic I posted; the middle isn't as good as the beginning or the end.  I hate that people can tell where I began having problems writing, but you can.

Once I skipped the "middle", I started writing again when Grace wakes up screaming in the car and wrote the rest down in one sitting, fingers flying as I tried to keep up with the images in my head.  And I adore writing the final few pages, the epilogue/denoument sort of part that is the written sigh of relaxation after the adrenaline rush.

Middles suck.  Endings rule.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2010, 10:39:47 PM »
It's the middle for me ;)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries: