Linked Events

• Jim at New York Comic Con: October 08, 2010 - October 10, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at New York Comic Con - Oct 8-10, 2010  (Read 204847 times)

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: Jim at New York Comic Con - Oct 8-10, 2010
« Reply #495 on: October 02, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »
I has me all my secret ingredients for comic con.  Have stuffs, will travel. :D

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #496 on: October 02, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »
I'm debating whether to take both my cameras or not.  The Canon point and shoot goes everywhere with me, but the Nikon D40 can take much better pictures.  B/f says I should leave the Nikon at home because I don't want to be walking around NYC with it. 

Also, any suggestions on getting from Grand Central to Javits? 
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 02, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
I'm debating whether to take both my cameras or not.  The Canon point and shoot goes everywhere with me, but the Nikon D40 can take much better pictures. 

Star, I've heard rumors you won't be the only person there with a camera. I'd suggest taking the Canon, and making new friends who also have cameras. If you are always taking pictures, you won't be in any of them. I'm sure Elise would you send you a copy of anything special.

jmo  ;D
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 02, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
I'm debating whether to take both my cameras or not.  The Canon point and shoot goes everywhere with me, but the Nikon D40 can take much better pictures.  B/f says I should leave the Nikon at home because I don't want to be walking around NYC with it. 

Honestly? Cab. There's no direct subway line, and it's a bit of a schlep to walk it. There's a bus, shown in the link below, but buses in Manhattan are notoriously slow because of the traffic. But that might be mitigated SOMEWHAT by the fact that it's going east-to-west, where the blocks are very, very long. Up to you.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=27+East+29th+Street,+New+York,+10016+(Grand+Central+Station)&daddr=Jacob+K.+Javits+Convention+Center,+New+York,+10001+(Javits+Convention+Center)&hl=en&geocode=FTvYbQIdVjKX-yFIc6ADOK1XCA%3BFbDnbQIdXtGW-yHYO0rZ2ib85Q&mra=ltm&dirflg=r&ttype=dep&date=10%2F02%2F10&time=3:56pm&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=&sll=40.75459,-73.989405&sspn=0.024187,0.032659&ie=UTF8&ll=40.75662,-73.989487&spn=0.024186,0.032659&z=15&lci=transit_comp&start=0
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 02, 2010, 10:27:40 PM »

If you decide to take a bus, just take the M42. I don't think you would have to wait too long for it. Just don't take the M104, since that will turn onto 8th avenue and won't take you all the way down to the Javitz Center.

Of course, if you're in good health, and you like to walk, it's not a horribly long walk either. I've walked it many times when I had to go pick something up from the FedEx building which is down the same street. :)
"No one delights more in vengeance than a woman." Juvenal, Satires XII

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Apprentice - Your Dresden Files purity rating is 48.1%

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »
If you decide to take a bus, just take the M42. I don't think you would have to wait too long for it. Just don't take the M104, since that will turn onto 8th avenue and won't take you all the way down to the Javitz Center.

Of course, if you're in good health, and you like to walk, it's not a horribly long walk either. I've walked it many times when I had to go pick something up from the FedEx building which is down the same street. :)

Cab would be a lot faster, and if there are at least two of them in the cab, the per-person cost is actually very reasonable. Cab would be maybe 10 minutes, bus 20-25, walking 30+. Time and money are the main questions here.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 03, 2010, 12:20:10 AM »
Cab!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2010, 12:50:35 AM »

Hopstop.com clocks the M42 option at 26 minutes, with the last 6 minutes being walking.

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #503 on: October 03, 2010, 02:37:00 AM »
Cab it is.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 03, 2010, 03:14:05 AM »
Cab it is.

Just be careful - only a yellow cab, unless you've called ahead of time for a particular car service. Gypsy cabs are a real gamble in NYC.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #505 on: October 03, 2010, 03:21:27 AM »
I just realized it's only FIVE DAYS TILL I'M IN NEW YORK. 

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #506 on: October 03, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
Just be careful - only a yellow cab, unless you've called ahead of time for a particular car service. Gypsy cabs are a real gamble in NYC.
Oh yeah.  I'm extremely paranoid about stuff like that.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #507 on: October 03, 2010, 01:01:14 PM »
Yeah.  The black Lincoln Continentals will often charge you twice as much as a yellow cab.  Just wave them away when they approach and you'll be fine!

Offline kittenbot

• Conversationalist
  • kittenbot of doooooooom--is doomy.
    • View Profile
    • tweeter
« Reply #508 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:58 PM »

ok. so cab it is.  and yellow cab.  oh boy.  now y'all will get to see just how small town i really am...
and grasshoppers can't talk anyway, dammnit!

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #509 on: October 04, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
I have Jim's tentative schedule for NYCC!  This is subject to change, of course.  I'll let you know if that happens.  I find it a little surprising that he seems to be scheduled for only one panel, so who knows?  

FRIDAY:
7:30pm - 8:30pm - Epic Fantasy Panel in Rm 1A15, with Joe Abercrombie, Peter V. Brett, Jim Butcher, Naomi Novik, and possibly Brandon Sanderson.

SATURDAY:
12pm - 1pm: Signing (at the Penguin booth?)
4pm - 6pm: Signing in Autograph Alley
7pm - 10pm: Fan Dinner
I was just looking to see if the schedule had changed any(it hadn't) and noticed--the Autograph Alley signing is 12-1.