Author Topic: Wierd Character Ideas  (Read 13477 times)

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Wierd Character Ideas
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 06:43:05 AM »
I am working on a character idea and wanted some feed back.
He would be a changeling or focused practitioner who was raised with a knowledge of the supernatural and trained in power but walked away from it to become a cop. Why depends on the choice of Changeling or Practitioner. He is dragged back in when he is banished to the local SI unit where he is forced to confront the magical world and develop his powers. Imagine harry escaping Justin and in order to avoid the doom joins the cops or the army and swears off magic. Or Rudolph being forced to use forgotten power to save Murphy from Kravos or MacFinn. He is intended for a waist deep game. does this sound workable?
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:55 AM »
Very workable!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 12:54:37 PM »
A powerful telekinetic whose spells are built strongly around his internal visualization of ropes and pulleys.
-Making like a lasso movement with his hand and then yanking a fire hydrant out of the ground and using it as the weight for a meteor hammer.
-invisible zip line only he can use.
-other ropey things.
Hey, I really like this one! I'm either going to use this as an NPC or offer it to one of my spellslinger players.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
I have two that I would love to play (assuming I can ever find a game).

Bounty-Hunting Sourcerer

This poor bastard watched his childhood friend get murdered by a troll, and ended up with the murder rap.  While in juvie (wasn't tried as an adult) learned everything he could about the supernatural and coped with his budding talent for magic.

I can't really flesh him out too much without the books, but wanted his major flaw to be

Problem with Authority

I also wanted him to act as a kind of father-figure to the minor talents and other spooky have-nots, and have a deep seeted hatred of the White Council.

I see him as being mostly about thaumaturgy, with a lesser talent for evocation.

Items include a jacket with a drop pocket rigged to dump its contents into a bubble of the never-never, to be retrieved later, and a magic cell phone that's linked with a "real" old school house phone. It would work more like a cordless than an actual cell, but the range would be the entire city.

Also...

Cursed Faery Assassin

Jak O' Shadows

This guy is all speed.  As many points as I could dump into it.  Weapons (knives mostly) would be a primary skill along with guns and stealth.

As far as back-story, Jak's father made a deal with one of the wild fay, money for his first born child.  The father was liquored up and their deal was consummated.  Sadly, this was a case of a mortal trying to pull one over on the fae.  See, Jak's dad had already had a child, one that died of SIDS.  The wild-fae woman (I don't have a name for her, sorry) he had bartered with and impregnated was, of course, bound by the word of their bargain and released their changling child (Jak) into his fathers custody.

The problem is she got even, cursing their child to need to kill, and to need to be payed what he's worth.  So here we have Jak, the reluctant changling assassin.  I see him as turning over most of his earnings to charities. Trying to do as much good as possible with the evil that is (for him) necessary.

Hope that wasn't too garbled. ;D

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 01:30:14 AM »
2 more.

-A wizard level power who may or may not be White Council, and who believes (similarly to harry) that the Pentacle is the symbol of the different forces of magic bound within human will. His belief however extends to the idea that a balanced understanding of all schools is more important than the strength of your talent.

-A wizard who is an accords lawyer and uses his knowledge to make deals and acquire favors in faerie (this character would make a lot of interactions with the GM a battle of wits.)
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2010, 08:12:26 AM »
If I ever get to play, I'd go with either:

A. A burned out old wizard (who looks like George Carlin) who has no eyes and no virtually magical ability besides being able to open his third eye. His power is that his memory is so bad that he can stand seeing with the third eye a lot better than most people which lets him keep keep it open during fights which gives him an edge (everyone telegraphs punches etc.). He'd be confused and mumble a lot and you'd never know if its crazy old man mumbling or deep wisdom. He may or may not be the actual original Merlin. He'd probably have maxed out lore and some stunts to help make his weird-ass claims about reality actually come true. He'd also have a stick to thump stubborn young uns with ;)

B. The anti-Harry, basically a loser focused practitioner who is the polar opposite of Harry in most ways. He started off the same way (talented kid adopted and brought up by a warlock) but then the Wardens took his master out and scared the crap out of him instead of apprenticing him (not enough mojo). He's very focused where Harry is a generalist (Enthropomancer, very good at taking out the structural supports of buildings and creating very bad sculpture out of stone), he's a coward where Harry is brave, he's wimpy look where Harry is imposing, he's sneaky while Harry is blunt, he always thinks of a great comeback 10 minutes too late where Harry is a wise-ass. If I got to play him I'd have by "guest star" phase be well "X female character knows him since my character is the sneaky stalker who always follows her around." Basically I'd play him as a loser who either falls into black magic (if the party mistreats him) or tries to turn his life around (if he gets support from the party).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:15:16 AM by Bosh »

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2010, 01:03:46 AM »
So a friend of mine and I were discussing the possibility of a Scion as a PC. Something more along the lines of Kincaid rather then Drakul, obviously. But we haven't fleshed out any of the details other than he'll be a "merc with a ton of guns!" His words, not mine. I figured if he wanted to go with someone who packs all sorts of guns he should go pure mortal "demon hunter" who has high resources to afford such guns, but it's his character not mine.

Anyone have any thoughts on having scions as PCs? I was thinking using the Changeling template but replacing "faerie" with "demon" and taking away their Choice.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »
I suspect a scion with a powerful/interesting heritage can still draw on enough of that heritage to gain enough personal power to lose what free will they have i.e. lose all their Refresh and become a slave to their (new) nature.  In doing so they become much more like whatever it is they are descended from, which is what the Choice is.  I've got the same idea for my 'scion of an angel' character; once that last point of Refresh is lost, bam, they become more wholly what they truly are, gain lots more powers to complete the transformation, and go "off the board" towards whatever purpose seems most likely.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2010, 03:05:22 PM »
Emmisary of Power seems tailor made for Scions.

One of my first character concepts is "God-blooded Biker Bad Boy with a Magic Hammer".
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2010, 06:17:51 PM »
Yeah I was thinking that it wouldn't take long until a Scion lost all of their free will, that's why I was thinking of using the Changeling template and as they start developing their power they lose refresh points until they become essentially a demon. I never considered using the Emissary of Power instead, interesting idea. Thanks for that.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 10:27:45 PM »
We have also been planing on a Scion of an Angle using the Changeling rules. I see no reason why they should not have the same choice as everyone else. For example when Harry looks at Kincaid with his Sight he sees "he appears as an enormous horned, bat-winged entity carrying a corpse (his appearance on the outside) chained to him." As I see it this represents Kincaid's Human half i.e. his free will restraining his demonic nature. too me this seems like a strong representation of his Choice.   
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 01:00:02 AM »
That's what I thought, but I didn't think that you could really ever get rid of the demon part.

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 04:05:33 PM »
-A wizard who is an accords lawyer and uses his knowledge to make deals and acquire favors in faerie (this character would make a lot of interactions with the GM a battle of wits.)

This sounds interesting. Johnie "Lance Burton" Cochran, taking names and charging fees.

We have also been planing on a Scion of an Angle using the Changeling rules.

Please tell me you meant an angel.  It'd be a challenge to play someone who was half trapezoid. :D

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2010, 11:09:41 PM »
Maybe he's just a little non-Euclidean?
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 12:57:21 AM »
Or a new form of living geometry O.O