Author Topic: This. Game. Will. Rock!  (Read 2472 times)

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
This. Game. Will. Rock!
« on: February 12, 2010, 08:02:32 PM »
Not much "buzz" about the official DFRPG here recently, so I thought I'd start a new discussion. The "Playtester Prototype" rules are out there for playtesters to look at and react to, but the game is essentially complete. You've seen the cover artwork (and some of the interior art) for a long time on the Evil Hat pages, so you can probably imagine what it looks like. The book looks visually stunning and the rules flow well. I think this looks a lot nicer than earlier products from Evil Hat. (Not to put down SotC or other games, but to elevate DFRPG.) Lots of color, sidebar boxes with key rules highlighted, and lots of goodies. I liked the early layout, but this one blows the old one away.

DGRPG playtesters are encouraged to talk about the game but are not supposed to give out too many specific details so I'm not so sure how specific I can be about this, but having had an opportunty to look through the revised playtest materials, let me say that the DFRPG is quite simply going to be amazing.

After a four-year wait, you may think that this game is bound to be a let-down because it can't be as cool as the home-brew version you've already been playing. Or can't possivly live up to your expectations. I think it will.

The basics of the game are still very much FATE-like, but are evolved in order to handle elements specific to the Dresdenverse. What I mean here is that if you know FATE and/or SotC you're pretty close to being ready to do DFRPG, only with a few key tweaks (mostly in terms of magic). Pretty much every character type you can imagine from Jim's books has been handled in good detail. I think that folks are going to agree that it was worth the wait, and then some!

This is the game that encouraged me to learn FATE in the first place, and Fred & Co. have certainly hit a home run with the DFRPG.

Just my two cents.  ;)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
Re: This. Game. Will. Rock!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 08:27:53 PM »
DGRPG playtesters are encouraged to talk about the game but are not supposed to give out too many specific details so I'm not so sure how specific I can be about this, but having had an opportunty to look through the revised playtest materials, let me say that the DFRPG is quite simply going to be amazing.

I'm not sure about where the line is on this one either.  If you look at Rick Neal's blog http://www.rickneal.ca/?cat=3 though he's being pretty specific (and the Evil Hat guys are all over the comments). 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:34:11 PM »
What character types were present in your Alpha game(s)? I'm certain giving us good info on the setting for your particular game wouldn't cross over as 'over-detailed'. I'm always looking for juicy info on the types of places people have created for this system. The city-creating is the part of the books I'm looking forward to the most.   :D

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:49:02 PM »
What character types were present in your Alpha game(s)?

Wow, I'll tell you what I can remember. 

Apprentice Wizard (Air, and spirit specialties)
Cop with the ability to speak to dead people
Socialite with enormously good luck
Treasure hunter with several minor magical items
Teen Were-wolf
An amnesiac ex-Hound of the Wild Hunt
Daughter of Dianna (Greek Hunt Goddess)
Faerie Changling (Gargoyle)
Priest with several Faith 'powers'
Priest with Red Court Vampire infected abilities and tattoos of St Giles
Knight of the Cross
Squire of the Summer Knight
Man in Black with ability to be forgotten, see the past, and lots of 'special' ammo

There were probably others I've forgotten.  The base character generation is very robust.  I'm looking forward to people dissecting it and creating more obvious kit-bashing options.  I'd love to run a 'Heroes' like game with this (set in an entirely different universe).
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline traeki

• Participant
  • Philippe is standing on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »
Can you talk more about how the "special ammo" worked, mechanically?  It sounds really really fun.
John Hawkins, SF, CA

"mFphrrrbm hoAmn rggh, hnllmmgh rnbnrrl."  --Demosthenes, "The Early Works"

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 11:13:31 PM »
FATE + good solid magic system = win, every else is gravy. Sweet sweet delicious gravy.