Author Topic: QueryShark  (Read 2049 times)

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
QueryShark
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:54:17 PM »
http://queryshark.blogspot.com/

Anyone else follow this blog? Or submit a query?
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
Re: QueryShark
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:17:12 PM »
Hi Jeno, These go through "To send work to the shark: email your query letter to janet at fineprintlit dot com"

Ms Janet Reid is a wonderful agent and Fineprint Lit is a well known agency. Note that she's posted nine deals in the last twelve months and most are women's fic or Fic-Suspense/Thriller and a few non-fic, but I think a good agent would be able to crit a query no matter what the genre.

Yes, I suppose someone could steal your idea if it is posted, but odds they'd get something out to agents before you do would seem unlikely. Truthfully, just reading her past query edits would be invaluable, maybe as much as having your query looked at! 

Meg
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline SCARPA

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 09:28:15 PM »
No. But thanks. I will take a look at it.

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:47:22 AM »
meg_evonne: Yeah, I know, I just wondered if anyone else around here also followed the blog. XD (and if anyone here submitted to it so I know what my chances are of my query getting reviewed, *cough*)

This is the only blog I found that was solely focused on dissecting queries, but there are quite a few agent blogs that give examples of the types of queries they've accepted. But since the dissection angle is more likely to apply across genres, I figured this was the best link to share. XD

You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline TokenRed

• Lurker
  • When in doubt, mumble
    • View Profile
    • The Mythic Sales Person
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:22 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new!
I love QueryShark! I discovered it a few months ago, and since then I've devoured all the archives. It's really helpful for anyone in the query process. I haven't submitted anything in, but I definitely want to. I'm a tad frightened of Miss Reid.  ;)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:46:10 PM »
Hi guys, I'm new!
I love QueryShark! I discovered it a few months ago, and since then I've devoured all the archives. It's really helpful for anyone in the query process. I haven't submitted anything in, but I definitely want to. I'm a tad frightened of Miss Reid.  ;)
Why?  I'm sure she wouldn't want you to feel that way!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess