Author Topic: Aspect brainstorming thread  (Read 15891 times)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Aspect brainstorming thread
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »

"Men...You will only risking your lives. Whilst I will be risking an almost certain Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor"

You are a real manipulative B@$%#&*. You know how to get people to charge into certain doom for you as long as you don't have to do it yourself.

Invoke:
You could invoke this aspect to convince someone to do you a favor or make a St. Crispin's day speech to a group so they will fight another group for you while you slink off somewhere.

Compel:
  Lead by example? Pft... You have a real problem doing things yourself. If someone calls your bluff or sees through your bluster....

High Concept Aspect:  Half-Man, Half-Big Bad Wolf (Changling)

One of your parents was human, the other was a notorious Fairy called a Big Bad Wolf. They disguise themselves as human adults and feed on children.

You are a product of that unfortunate legacy.

Invoke:
To be Big. Bad and/or Wolf-like.

Compel:
Same.

Whitestaff of the White Council of Wizards

The Blackstaff is a secret, necessary position on the Council. The Whitestaff is more like the official Blacksheep position that nobody wants. You are the "official" liaison to the mortal authorities. When some idiot Wizard burns down a Red Court Party or some government agency uncovers the White Council's existence on their own, you're the guy who has to clean it up.

Invoke:
You use your "Authoritai" to help clean something up and keep the Council under wraps.

Compel:
Some stupid Wizard burns down a bus full of nun faeries again, so you have to make sure no one knows it's magic and instead publishes, "Nun Soup".

"He wears a disguise to look like human guys, but he's not a man, he's Yeti/Bigfoot..."

You are not human, but a human-like biped. Humans are still curious things to you.

Invoke:
You make like an Albino Wookie losing a board game.

Compel:
You're not human so your disguise is not always there.

Magi-Preppy

You come from an ancient family line of Wizards of the White Council. Your family has produced Senior Council members and have helped define the history of wizardry.

Unfortunately, that also means you are the Harry Potter stereotype. You never grew up in mundane society or around anyone without magical talent. People think you're arrogant and feel entitled and maybe you are.  Maybe you have the stuff that makes warlocks....

Invoke:
You use your family name to open doors and get things done. Being from an entire Family of Wizards (An eternal rarity) you have been exposed to magic and the supernatural world for a lot longer than most other wizards.

Compel:
Having never been exposed to most of the Mortal World, you have been living under a rock as far as Mortals are concerned. It doesn't help that your parents were born and raised the same way and the family has essentially lived the same way since about 1300.  You still don't understand new fangled things like cars and these stupid American Colonies.

Other Wizards have every reason to not like you.

(As an example, the character this Aspect was designed for has the Family Name of Balthazar)

Instrument of God

God chose you. You have heard no voice and met no angels, you've just felt power.

Invoke:
You use the power of Faith.

Compel:
God has a plan for you and it never tells you when you are on it.

Technology's Bane

All Spellcasters are not so good around technology, but you are different. You are a walking disaster area.

This Aspect represents not the Murphyonic field all Wizards have, but a version that is worse than normal and is a constant pain. One touch from you can kill a car from the 30's.

Invoke:
  Hexing of course.

Compel:
How bad could it be?......

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:52:11 PM by Lanodantheon »
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 11:17:40 PM »
After a night of brainstorming, my brother and I have made some more aspects. Here they are.

For the afore mentioned Chauncy's B*$#@:

Trouble Aspect: All debts come due.

The B*$#@ is all about debts. Every debt owed must be paid. It's his job.

Invoke: Gotta get back what is owed anyway he can.

Compel: If an outstanding debt known to him is in reach, he must retrieve it.

Born into strange

Even without the curse, the B*$#@'s family is a little....weird. Sometimes weird is bad and sometimes it's just family.

Invoke:
Recall a memory or contact a weird relative.

Compel:
Sometimes they stop by and say hi. Plus, the family's reputation is built on the weirdest things.

Fixed the Family Curse...sort of

The B*$#@'s Family was cursed, badly. No one in his family has died of natural causes since 1700. The Family curse has been fixed....for now. But weird crap still happens from time to time.

Invoke:
Use the power of the curse to your benefit.

Compel:
The curse bites The B*$#@.

“I'm 30 minutes away... I'll be there in 10.”

You are stupidly efficient and time sensitive. Things must be done not in a minute, not in an hour, but NOW!

Invoke: Anything involving efficiency.

Compel: Anything involving patience.

“The tea is free, ammunition costs extra.”

You make bargains all the time, but you hate to barter. Thankfully the Underworld's employee training included a class on “aggressive negotiations”.

Invoke: You make a quick, efficient, take-it-or-leave-it deal on the fly.

Compel: If an opportunity to make a bargain presents itself, you have to make an offer and it has to be fair.

No more Christmas cards

You've p!$%*& a lot of people off doing this job. People know you. Sometimes you're greeted with respect. Sometimes with Holy Swords and Big Guns.

Invoke: Using the name of Chaunzaggoroth can open doors....

Compel: ...or get you shot at. Again.

These Aspects relate to another character temporarily named Manfred:

Lawyer by Day, Detective by Night....

Like it says on the box.

Invoke: To fight crime using the forces of Law and a shotgun.

Compel:
You are a lawyer first.

Trouble Aspect: I never took a case I didn't finish

Once you start something, you finish it.

Invoke: To push to finish that case.

Compel:
You can't give up or compromise.

Gonzaga Bulldogs Ra! Ra! Ra!

You graduated top of your class from Gonzaga University and possess the status and pride associated with it.

Invoke: You know plenty of fellow Alumni in the local community. Some people respect the name of Gonzaga.

Compel:
People often ask favors of such prominent alumni. Also, not everyone likes people from Gonzaga.

Ghosts from my Past

Your house dates back to the founding of Spokane Falls and it's haunted. You frequently talk to Uncle Joseph and he's been dead for 25 years. 

Invoke: You can get advice from one of your ancestors lurking around your family home.

Compel:
The Ghosts make working at home....difficult.

My Father's Old Six-gun

You come from two centuries worth of Law men. You are an heir to that legacy.

Invoke: You tap into that lifetime of experience.

Compel:
You can't compromise that legacy.

A Mage in hand is worth two in the...

You have a Girlfriend who is a Wizard of the White Council. It can be most handy until you test that old saying about them being Quick-to-anger.

Invoke:  You ask her for help and remember conversations about the magical world.

Compel:
The GF is quick-to-anger.

Not-so-common Law

You know the law. Really well.

Invoke:  You think of a legal precedent that helps the situation. Nothing quite like hearing, "What we're doing is actually legal."

Compel:
  You know of a law that complicates things. Nothing quite like hearing, "What we're doing is actually illegal."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:59:32 PM by Lanodantheon »
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:36 AM »
For use with the Chung-Hee character idea here:

"Stranger in a strange land" You're suprised that most of what you thought you knew about your new home is either outdated or based on a more idealized memory.

Invoke: When dealing with older beings (spirits, older humans, etc) you are able to adapt to their expectations easier than the typical "younger generation" group which you belong to.
Compel: Dealing with people your own age can be difficult because of your expectations of others (honor, duty, self sacrifice, etc).

"I'm just a face in the crowd" Being able to become one of the faceless masses gives you a sense of security and belonging.

Invoke: You can blend in with a group and use them as a natural camoflage when in crowded areas (on the train, at the market, etc).
Compel: People have trouble remembering you unless prompted .

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 08:08:07 PM »
These 3 were developed for my aforementioned Vigilante Sorcerer.
So in addition to his other aspects minus "There's always time to stop and think" he'd have:

Soulgazed a Dying Warlock

You learned about the magical world the hardest way possible. In that dying Warlock's eyes you saw what you thought never existed, Absolute, Uncompromising, Irredeemable Evil. You saw the Soul of someone whose whole life was born on Murder and the twisting of Power. You were horrified, but the Warlock died laughing. And no matter how hard you try you can never forget a Soulgaze.

But, the things you saw give you resolve and an absolute purpose. The Warlock also tried to dive into your mind during the gaze, but failed. You saw more in the gaze than normal.

Invoke:  You can draw on that for strength or for knowledge from something you saw in the  Soulgaze.

Compel: You can't forget the power you saw or the motives behind it. You know that there is Evil because you saw it. It might make you make snap judgments. It might also tempt you.

Supernatural Entrepreneur

Harry Dresden laments that other spellcasters know how to make "Stupid" amounts of money with their magic. You have mastered this difficult art form/science because you accept that the Laws of Magic don't include a section on following the Laws of Humanity.
It could be that you turn lead into gold, crush coal into diamonds, you have a "Super Coffee", Love and/or Confidence potion racket, you glamour single dollars to look like hundreds or get True Names through the DMV/Department of Licensing.

Invoke:
You use either the Resources/Contacts you got from your business or offer a fair trade.

Compel: Other such Entrepreneurs both Magical and Mundane don't like competition. It is also difficult to give up a fair business opportunity.

Watchlisted

Your antics have put you on people's radar. People know of you and are waiting for you to try something stupid. They also have a dossier and probably a pool going on you.

Invoke: You use your reputation to open doors or get people to back down. You could use it to make people underestimate you. These watchdogs think they know what you are going to do....

Compel: It isn't paranoia if people actually are out for you. The Wardens are just looking for a reason to take you down if you don't identify yourself for testing soon. The mortal authorities probably have a nickname for you and are waiting for you to strike again.

I'm not sure if Arcane Packrat and Magical Entrepreneur double up or compliment each other, but I like them together.

Now for True Believer's aspects:

Shell-Shocked Preacher

When things go bump in your neighborhood of followers they bump with you. You're not all there all the time because of the Shell-Shock.

Invoke: You Bump Back. You're always on alert.

Compel:
You're always on alert and that can make things difficult.

"The Bible never said anything about this...."

Your Faith is tested daily. You only hope you can hold out....

Invoke: You make a snap decision.

Compel:
You make a snap decision. You don't know who to trust anymore.

"I wasn't always a Shepard..."

You were in Afghanistan during the war....in the 80's. In that time you were a weapon.

Invoke: You use one of the many skills the Navy, the SOCOM and the Agency taught you.

Compel:
Not all your memories of that time are good ones. You made a lot of enemies. A few people in the community might not like your past.

"God has Mercy. I don't...."

Those that can't be saved must be punished.

Invoke: You lay down some divine justice, great vengence and furious anger.

Compel:
You have a bit of a temper....

"My faith is my shield, my shotgun's for the Zombies"

The good book gives you confidence, but you try to be prepared for the Rapture in whatever form it comes. One man's fearlessness is another man's overconfidence.

Invoke: You come crazy prepared for Judgement day.

Compel:
You actually have to actively prepare. This takes time. Plus, the items you think you need might not be allowed in little places like Airports and Government Buildings.

Pillar of the Community

You sought to change yourself, to be a teacher. You have to make good on that promise.

Invoke: You prove yourself to be a good man.

Compel:
If the community knew certain things....

I don't have a 7th Aspect to round this out though.....:(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:07:18 PM by Lanodantheon »

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 05:04:23 AM »
Real Life Action Hero
I should totally have my own action figure...

Invoke: You are able to accomplish physical feats that seem impossible(i.e. shooting/grabbing an object while leaping through the air, shooting around a corner, shooting/grabbing an object while tumbling, rolling out of a moving vehicle with less than normal damage. Etc.)

Compel: You tend to get too cocky and sometimes get yourself in more trouble than necessary.  You cannot resist showing off and end up looking a bit like tim allen in Galaxy quest sneaking and tumbling while your allies walk beside you.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:15 PM »
Real Life Action Hero
I should totally have my own action figure...

Invoke: You are able to accomplish physical feats that seem impossible(i.e. shooting/grabbing an object while leaping through the air, shooting around a corner, shooting/grabbing an object while tumbling, rolling out of a moving vehicle with less than normal damage. Etc.)

Compel: You tend to get too cocky and sometimes get yourself in more trouble than necessary.  You cannot resist showing off and end up looking a bit like tim allen in Galaxy quest sneaking and tumbling while your allies walk beside you.

"You know what Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »
"You know what Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"

"Ole Jack always says... What the hell?"   :D
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 08:25:50 PM »
Bolshevik Muppet!

You have an explosives fixation, so you're used to using them; however, they're used to using you.

Invoke: You take less time to set up explosives or deactivate them. You're probably the only person who knows how to disable an active handgrenade.

Compel: You've gone through all this trouble, and now the dynamite you laid around the abandoned hospital isn't needed anymore because the goody-two-shoes wizard knocked the mob leader unconcious... oh well *BOOM*

Offline Knave

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 12:54:16 PM »
Living in England I can't wait to run a character with

"Tea?"

Tag as a bonus to mental activity whilst mulling through things over tea - or to positive social interactions.
Compel to delay any meaningful actions until after tea.

I do think there is a danger with some of these that the point of the aspect isn't entirely obvious from the aspect... but of course, ymmv
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 01:01:01 PM by Knave »

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:28 PM »
Living in England I can't wait to run a character with

"Tea?"

Tag as a bonus to mental activity whilst mulling through things over tea - or to positive social interactions.
Compel to delay any meaningful actions until after tea.

I do think there is a danger with some of these that the point of the aspect isn't entirely obvious from the aspect... but of course, ymmv

Without meaning to sound ever so slightly stalkerish- I think I love you! That aspect is SO getting used in on one of my characters.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »

"Lonliness of the long distance runner."  Chung-hee needs to find someplace that he fits in.  Growing up in a small rural community in the US, Chung-hee was always the "different one".  The only people who he could identify with (his immediate family) are now dead and his need for belonging drives him to do rash things in the name of friendship. 

Invoke: Able to dive headlong into conflict for the sake of a friend without hesitation, this blind determination can push him past all sensible reasons not to (bonus against intimidation attempts, even by obviously more dangerous beings).
Compel: Drawn to helping others, even if it's not the best option (brins him into direct conflict at the worst possible times).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 11:42:51 PM by SoulCatcher78 »

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
From my old SotC character, I always loved:

Attention Span of a Gnat
Invoke: if he's captured questioning him won't do much good since he didn't pay enough attention to remember the information that you're after.
Compel: to not pay attention, to charge right in because he's bored, etc.

My Father Told Me To Duel Often
Invoke: to be good at dueling.
Compel: to fight fair even when that's dumb, to constantly get into duels.

This Situation Calls For a Swan Dive
Invoke: to get good at swan dives.
Compel: to think that doing things like doing a swan dive off of a biplane with a rapier in one hand and a bungee cord around your waist in order to attack another biplane is a good idea.

Offline Knave

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2010, 11:14:54 PM »
Without meaning to sound ever so slightly stalkerish- I think I love you! That aspect is SO getting used in on one of my characters.

share and enjoy.   ;)

'War stories' / "Back in 'nam"

Tag to entertain, impress, or help with your battle plans.
Compel to bore people senseless, be drawn into 'that sort' of conversation, or feel the need to outdo the other guy by showing him your scars.

The most overused aspect in a game I'm run has been, "It's a good thing I thought of that."
Tag largely to make declarations
Compel to ensure the character has a reputation for being an obsessive anal smartarse.

Or we could take inspiration from 'Wash' with

I was laconic once  :p

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2010, 01:17:45 AM »
Walter Sobchak: Those rich fucks! This whole fucking thing... I did not watch my buddies die face down in the muck so that this fucking strumpet...
The Dude: I don't see any connection to Vietnam, Walter.
Walter Sobchak: Well, there isn't a literal connection, Dude.
The Dude: Walter, face it, there isn't any connection.

Walter would make an awesome Dresden Files character :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:21:16 AM by Bosh »

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2010, 01:49:41 AM »
Ghost Busting P.I. (That's Paranormal Investigator)
Who ya gonna call? No, seriously who ya gonna call?

Invoke: Your years of living alongside the spirits have made you more in tune into the things keeping them bound and you are better at dispelling or helping spirits move on that most.

Compel: Your years of living along side the spirits make most people think your a little nuts, always talking to the open air around you.  You also take the needs and feelings of the spirits as seriously as the living and may decide the best thing for them is to stay put.