Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1122607 times)

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5760 on: February 04, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
That list is priceless.  I busted out over George Takai as Ancient Mai.
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5761 on: February 04, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
Yeah, same here. And now whenever I see that character in the book, all I will be able to picture is George Takei in a woman's kimono. Classic.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5762 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:52 PM »
 I now can't accept anyone else as Ancient Mai.
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5763 on: February 04, 2013, 11:56:11 PM »

Offline ۞†Grey Warden†۞

• Needs A Life
  • For those who wander but are not lost!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5764 on: February 04, 2013, 11:59:54 PM »
*facepalm* *snickers*
Sir  Reginald.
I will miss you, my friend Mdodd. May you find peace.
Snowy,  I am rooting for you. I hope you remain happy and as comfortable as possible.

How many steps to the lighthouse?

Offline cesarnoel

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5765 on: February 05, 2013, 04:06:40 PM »
None of the above.

James Marster or Paul Blackthorne will fit much better. Have Elizabeth Hurley play either Mab or Lea

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5766 on: February 05, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
Have Elizabeth Hurley play either Mab or Lea
Nice!
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline tuttman1234

• Needs A Life
  • King of Glomps *glompsyoujustby readingthisglomp*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5767 on: February 05, 2013, 05:29:59 PM »
Well, as long as George Takei is playing Ancient Mai, I'm good.
Flower gleam and glow, let your power shine. Make the clock reverse, bring back what once was mine. Heal what has been hurt, change the fates design. Save what once was lost, bring back what once was mine, what once was mine.

For Mdodd. Rest in peace friend.

Drip, Drip, Drop.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
  • Babylon 5, Crusade, and Dresden Files fan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5768 on: February 05, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
Patrick Stewart = Arthur Langtry
William Shatner = Ebeneezer McCoy
Leonard Nimoy = The Gatekeeper
George Takei = Ancient Mai
Walter Koenig = Aaron LaFortier
Nichelle Nichols = Martha Liberty
Robert Beltran = Gregori Cristos
Marina Sirtis = Original Anastasia Luccio
Jonathan Frakes = Donald Morgan
Brent Spiner = Grevane
Michael Dorn = Cowl
Scott Bakula = Malcolm Dresden
Jeri Ryan = Mab
Jolene Blalock = Titania
Gates McFaddon = Mother Summer
Kate Mulgrew = Mother Winter
Wil Wheaton = Peabody
Zachary Quinto = Harry Dresden
Benedict Cumberbach = Thomas Raith
Alice Eve = Karrin Murphy
Anton Yelchin = Waldo Butters
Karl Urban = Justin DuMorne (flashbacks)
Zoe Saldana = Young Corpsetaker; Young Luccio
Chris Pine = Jared Kincaid
John Cho = Xin Li (sp?)
Simon Pegg = Warden 'Steed' Chandler

I kinda wish Trek, all of it, would just go away.  I started watching TOS with "The Man Trap" back in Sept. 1966 on a 19" Zenith black & white TV, and I'm just sooooooo sick of Trek now.  I have no use whatsoever for JJ Abrams Trek, and to this day, if TOS or TNG came on TV when I was channel surfing, I might watch the episode, but if it were DS9 or VOY, I'd instantly change the channel if it wasn't Scorpion I & II of VOY.  I never could stand Mulgrew/Jameway.  ENT?  I might watch it as long as it wasn't the series finale.  As far as I'm concerned, ENT ended with #97, S4E21 "Terra Prime" on 13/May/05.
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------
"The Dresden Files" (2007)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5769 on: February 05, 2013, 06:37:46 PM »
I loved DS9!
Voyager tried to hard (You like Borgs, how about a Million Borg!)

JJ is making Star Trek FUN again.

Enterprise got boned because 1. UPN 2. Voyager Fans 3. They basically wrote themselves into a corner with what they could and could not do (I heard an exciting idea for the season after the last which is basically the Romulan-Earth War which would be epic)

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5770 on: February 05, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
I loved DS9!

I hated DS9 even before I knew that Babylon 5 existed (I discovered B5 in Sept. 1996.).  I'd stuck with DS9 for FOUR LONG YEARS out of goodwill built up from watching TOS and TNG from 1966 to 1994, before gradually quitting watching it (DS9).  The freakin' kids seemed to be there only to cause problems.  Keiko O'Brien was a royal pain in the ass for Miles O'Brien.  The Bajorans and Kai Whatsherface were more annoyances.  In Sept. 1996, I saw "Babylon 5"  S3E21 "Shadow Dancing" and was HOOKED immediately.  The writing was better, the effects were better, the characters and alien races were more fleshed out, less one-dimensional, less stereotypical sci-fi; it was head and shoulders above Trek.  Then, much later, I found out that B5 had been shopped to Paramount before Warner Brothers, and Paramount had been given the Babylon 5 series treatment/bible.  Paramount turned 'em down and then rushed DS9 into production, and got their pilot out before the Babylon 5 pilot.  Hmmmmm.  Leeta vs. Lyta.  Worm hole vs. hyperspace.jumpgate system.  Defiant vs. Whitestar.   Tsk, tsk.  Well, regardless of how eerily close the starting point for B5 and DS9, the series diverged as time went on due to the different creative teams making them.

Voyager tried to hard (You like Borgs, how about a Million Borg!)

I switched to Voyager from DS9, and Voyager was even WORSE!  ARGH!  <spit>  Maquis?  Bad hair day, sponge-head, Kazon?  Please!  <spit>  I just like Scorpion I & II because Species 8### ships looked vaguely like Vorlon ships, I liked how a group of their ships combined to make a bigger weapon (mimicking how a single Vorlon ship fires),  AND they kicked Borg ass.  I did like 7 of Double-D, though.  ;)

JJ is making Star Trek FUN again.

Oh for God's sake!  BARF!!!! 

JJ Abrams is ruining it, although there was not much left to ruin.  I bought the Star Trek (2009) DVD when it first came out because it was listed on Netflix as Very Long Wait, and I didn't want to wait.  I hadn't seen it in the theaters.  I watched the DVD and immediately sold it.  Didn't want it in my collection.  It was similar to what I did with War of the Worlds (2005), except that I broke that disc in two, so as not to have other minds subjected to it.  I saved the box, though, the most useful and valuable part of War of the Worlds (2005).   I kept hoping that the aliens would EAT the constantly screaming Rachel Ferrier/Dakota Fanning, just to shut her the hell up, plus, it would probably kill the aliens.  Then, I re-watched War of the Worlds (1953) just to help wash the 2005 version out of my memory.

Enterprise got boned because 1. UPN 2. Voyager Fans 3. They basically wrote themselves into a corner with what they could and could not do (I heard an exciting idea for the season after the last which is basically the Romulan-Earth War which would be epic)

Enterprise/Star Trek: Enterprise got Berman and Braga'd to death.  B&B were the two SOBs who ruined it.  Manny Coto did a helluva good job salvaging the show in Seasons 3 & 4.  I found Seasons 1 & 2 pretty boring/going nowhere and not very good at all.  B&B should be banned from ever working in TV or movies for what they did in ENT S4E22.  FWIW, when the alien space nazis were revealed in the last seven minutes of ENT S3E24 "Zero Hour", I dropped ENT and didn't watch Season 4 until four years later, via Netflix DVDs, at the recommendation of a friend on the internet.

I got started watching Babylon 5 back in Sept. 1996 on the recommendation of a friend and fellow engineer, who knew that I was getting 110% fed-up with DS9 & VOY.  I currently have no Trek DVDs in my collection.  OTOH, I have every Babylon 5 and Crusade DVD, the short stories (all out of print), the novels, mugs, baseball caps, some figurines (some pewter, some plastic) and even some of the comics/graphic novels.  The only other TV series/novels I'm into nearly as much as Babylon 5 is The Dresden Files.  ;D
Mac Breck (KoshN)
Harry Dresden: [re. Bianca] What is it about bad girls?  They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to, and for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us, we still can't walk away.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5771 on: February 05, 2013, 07:50:31 PM »
DS9 is actually, I understand it, the bastard cousin of B5.
Strazinsky showed the idea for B5 around Hollywood and that included Paramount
and, lo and behold, several months afterwards they come up with DS9.
And yes, Paramount has "borrowed" other people's ideas before.

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5772 on: February 05, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
DS9 is actually, I understand it, the bastard cousin of B5.
Strazinsky showed the idea for B5 around Hollywood and that included Paramount
and, lo and behold, several months afterwards they come up with DS9.
And yes, Paramount has "borrowed" other people's ideas before.

It's funny how Not interested. and We're coming out with our own show revolving around a space station. turns into their own series fast when lots of money is thrown at a project, huh?  B5's cost per episode was less than half of DS9's.  Hell, Paramount spent more on Voyager's 2-hour pilot than was spent on any SEASON of Babylon 5.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:49:40 PM by KoshN »
Mac Breck (KoshN)

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5773 on: February 05, 2013, 09:04:37 PM »
I admit I've seen a Handfull of Babylon five episodes and I like what they were doing but some of it seemed...silly

DS9 did have the problems of too many cooks in the kitchen.
Paramount wanted x (We want something the Kids, Families, and the Fans can watch)
The producers wanted y (They wanted to Do what would become Battlestar Glattica, and some of them wanted to do Gene's 'vision")
the fans wanted Z (The Fans wanted, Borg or Crossovers, or Boobs or who knows what Star Trek fans want, and more importantly who cares)

Sadly you jumped ship on DS9 right before it got good, the last 3 seasons were great.

JJ is making Star Trek assessable to well, everyone who is not us.
You have no idea the number of people I've met who go, Yeah I've tried to Watch Star Trek TNG/VOYAGER/DS9 but it was so boring/corny/weird. But then I saw that Star Trek movie and it was Really fun!
You bought the DVD, so he got your "vote" as it were. But me and you will go see bad movies or "Okay" movies because we are loyal to the Franchise.  But even that didn't stop Star Trek Nemesis from Tanking

Offline KoshN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5774 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:34 PM »
I admit I've seen a Handfull of Babylon five episodes and I like what they were doing but some of it seemed...silly

You really ought to watch B5, from the pilot (which is rough, and they made changes between the pilot and S1E1.), and Seasons 1 thru 5, in order, and the TV movies, where they fall in the series timeline, plus Crusade.  What did you think was silly, Centauri hairstyles?  The higher the crest, the higher the rank, until one balding Centauri emperor gave up the trappings of appearance in 2259 when he was quite old and very ill and couldn't be bothered with a wig, and one Centauri emperor adopted a short crest in 2261, but he was insane.  The only part of Babylon 5 that I'd avoid is the Legend of the Rangers Sci-Fi Original movie.

The fall of Londo Mollari, which spans Seasons 1 thru 5, is particularly poignant.  See http://youtu.be/6_QquHyveg4

See also:

http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11668
http://www.b5tv.com/showthread.php?t=11723

DS9 did have the problems of too many cooks in the kitchen.
Paramount wanted x (We want something the Kids, Families, and the Fans can watch)
The producers wanted y (They wanted to Do what would become Battlestar Glattica, and some of them wanted to do Gene's 'vision")
the fans wanted Z (The Fans wanted, Borg or Crossovers, or Boobs or who knows what Star Trek fans want, and more importantly who cares)

Sadly you jumped ship on DS9 right before it got good, the last 3 seasons were great.

I just couldn't stand it any longer.

JJ is making Star Trek assessable to well, everyone who is not us.
You have no idea the number of people I've met who go, Yeah I've tried to Watch Star Trek TNG/VOYAGER/DS9 but it was so boring/corny/weird. But then I saw that Star Trek movie and it was Really fun!

Oh, I really don't understand people anymore.  It's probably partly due to new effects.  That's part of why some people get turned off of Babylon 5 when they're watching the pilot or Season 1, the crude, initial effects.  The thing is, Babylon 5 effects improved every year.  If you stick with it long enough to get into the story, you'll make allowances for the initial effects.  The thing is, Babylon 5 is a complex story, with many threads running through each episode, and you'll see things on the second viewing of the series that you didn't see on the first. Ditto for subsequent viewings.

You bought the DVD, so he got your "vote" as it were. But me and you will go see bad movies or "Okay" movies because we are loyal to the Franchise.  But even that didn't stop Star Trek Nemesis from Tanking

I kind of liked the effects in "Star Trek: Nemesis" and I'm always happy to see Dina Meyer.  ;D   The Picard and Shinzon (I had to look that name up.) got really tiresome.  If I'd kept "Star Trek: Nemesis" in my DVD collection (Bought it for less than $10 at Wal-Mart.), it would've been for the space battles.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:27:05 PM by KoshN »
Mac Breck (KoshN)