Author Topic: A peek at the layout  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
A peek at the layout
« on: February 05, 2010, 02:21:42 AM »
In case you missed it, Fred posted a sample

http://twitpic.com/11al17

Looks amazing, Fred!

Serioulsy, it looks different from any other game book I have (I've got quite a few). It might just be the best looking rpg in the business when it's all said and done.

So are you done with the first pass at layout? And what do you do during the second pass? How many passes are there before you sell me the pdf?  ;D

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A peek at the layout
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Tush!

I definatly would have missed it otherwise. That art is fantastic and I'm loving the sort of scrapbook style of presentation that they seem to be going for.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 02:35:08 AM »
In case you missed it, Fred posted a sample

http://twitpic.com/11al17

Looks amazing, Fred!

Serioulsy, it looks different from any other game book I have (I've got quite a few). It might just be the best looking rpg in the business when it's all said and done.

So are you done with the first pass at layout? And what do you do during the second pass? How many passes are there before you sell me the pdf?  ;D

The Supernatural RPG tried for a "scrapbook and post-it-notes" approach as well, FWIW. Though I've been working with this idea for a couple years now. :)

The PDF will first be available with the preorder only.  The earliest the preorder could start is April-ish, the latest it could start would be when Origins hits in late June.

I'm done with the first pass.

1st Pass: Main architecture. Get all the text into place and formatted as it should appear with at least placeholders for images.

2nd Pass: Detail work. Tweaks, refinements, cross-reference chasing (there's a ton), art finalization, index, proofreads, etc.

3rd Pass: Paranoid tweaking, staring at the same page until eyes bleed, blood sacrifices in the basement.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:32 AM »
Oh, I'm definitely in on the preorder as soon as it goes green.

Hmm..haven't seen the Supernatural RPG.

Were you planning to do this type of layout before you decided on the idea of the RPG as being written by Billy and Co. or was it going to be more conventional?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
Were you planning to do this type of layout before you decided on the idea of the RPG as being written by Billy and Co. or was it going to be more conventional?

The layout definitely grew out of the conceit... or was it the conceit that grew out of the layout? Crap, I can't remember.

A few other attempts existed prior to this one, but they're a few years old now and thoroughly embarrassing. I'm not even sure where they're at at this point, actually.  But yeah: it was going to be more conventional. And black & white instead of full color. And other things. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:58 AM »
1st Pass: Main architecture. Get all the text into place and formatted as it should appear with at least placeholders for images.

2nd Pass: Detail work. Tweaks, refinements, cross-reference chasing (there's a ton), art finalization, index, proofreads, etc.

3rd Pass: Paranoid tweaking, staring at the same page until eyes bleed, blood sacrifices in the basement.
Interesting. Sounds like the second pass will involve the whole team?

That third pass sounds like it might attract the attention of the local Warden   ;D

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 03:38:54 AM »
I have to say tht Im very glad that its going to be in full colour!

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 05:13:35 AM »
I'll cheerily echo all the "looks great - can't wait!" type comments. And throw in the totally new, "Sue has her own stat block! Whee!"  ;D
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 06:13:44 AM »
Interesting. Sounds like the second pass will involve the whole team?

It at least involves some of the team, yeah. I've got Rob Donoghue on indexing duty, for example.
Fred Hicks