Linked Events

• Jim signs in Kansas City, MO: April 12, 2010

Author Topic: April 12: Changes signing in Kansas City, MO  (Read 56498 times)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: April 12: Changes signing in Kansas City, MO
« Reply #120 on: April 09, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
As someone who works at this Borders, and has been petitioning and pushing for this signing for over a year, I'm ridiculously excited that this is finally going down!  I'm working on what's usually my day off, just so I can help run the event!  I can't wait to see how many people show up, we've been getting calls from people driving and flying in from all over the place, this is going to be huge.  Apparently, they'll be handing out wristbands starting as soon as we open, just like we do with the big book releases.  I found out today that I get to be the "pusher," which means I'm the guy at the front of the line, prepping the books and finding out how everyone wants their books signed/personalized and handing them to our favorite author for the signing.  I'm hoping I don't fanboy out too much, being the person who'll be most closely interacting with him, heh.

Speaking of signing, I'm wondering if it's cool to have him sign my advanced reader copy of Turn Coat?  Unlike everything else I have just in mass market paperback, the advanced reader's unique, so I thought it'd be cool to have that signed, but since it's something that was a free copy of it, I didn't know if that'd be frowned upon?  If that's frowned upon, I'll have to break my pattern and pick up a copy of Changes.  (But I like having everything the same, and having one hard cover and all the rest paperback just messes with me, heh.)

Anyway, I don't know anything about a Q&A session.  I've heard that the plan is for him to do a reading first, and then a signing, beyond that I'm not sure what he'll be up for or planning on.  If there are any plans for afterward, I'd love to know!  I get off at 9, which is probably around the time everything with the event itself will be wrapping up, and my wife already knows I'm going to be doing stuff for this, so I'll be free to partake if I'm welcome (since I'm not exactly a regular in this scene or anything, don't want to go inviting myself along, heh.)

I may not be going to that signing, but I have to say that your advance info (e.g., wristbands) is a VERY nice thing to give to the fans who'll be in attendance. My hat's off.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Knight Disciple

• Conversationalist
  • Hope Burns Bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 09, 2010, 08:48:56 PM »
To add to what Hida Man said...

I just got off the phone with a gal at that borders. Couple important bits of info.

1.)He will sign a maximum of 2 books per person.

2.)Wristbands can be acquired at any time, and you can, potentially, get more than 1. In other words, I can get 1 for me, and a couple for friends. They only determine place in line.

3.)She didn't have any estimates on size beyond "I hope it's not overcrowded". She did state there are only about 30 actual seats for this event. So, people who want to sit in a chair should be early.

4.)They have over a hundred copies of Changes in stock. Or rather, they ordered 100-150 extra. Something like that.

So. Gives us a pretty good tactical picture of the situation, as it were.

I plan to coordinate with my two friends this weekend. I also foresee likely being at the "mid-afternoon lunch" thing, whether I eat or not. Possibly also going afterwards for food.

Though laura118b has a good point about being further back and actually getting to say more than 2 words to him.
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 10, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
When we went to the signing in Independence last year, we deliberately waited until the end to be able to talk with him.

Also, some friends and I went to Lexington we did the same thing, since we had a big group and wanted to get pictures and stuff.

Based on what Hida Man said, and what KD got from the other person, do we need to get their earlier?

At all 3 signings I was at last year, the stores all say that they will limit what Jim signs.  They didn't, though.  If they do, what I've heard is that you can go back through the line a second time to get more (they limit because they want to keep the line moving).

Offline Knight Disciple

• Conversationalist
  • Hope Burns Bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 10, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »
I'm of the mind to get there at least half an hour beforehand, to be able to sit down. I'm not disabled or something, but I prefer sitting on a chair.

However. Maybe we could ask if we could wait to get our bands until later, to get closer to the end of the line.

You know, game the system.
In fearful day, in raging night, with strong hearts full, our souls ignite! When all seems lost in the War of Light, look to the stars, for hope burns bright!

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 10, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
I can't imagine the store caring if we want to wait until the end.  I would guess unless we interfere with closing they would be happy if the people who want more time wait to get it.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2010, 10:56:10 PM »
I mentioned my self-made wizard's staff in another thread and I am actually in the process of making a new one, should I bring it with or is that a little too geeky?
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Aine

« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:23 AM »
No such thing as too geeky.  You're amongst geek-family here.  :)

Offline Knight Disciple

• Conversationalist
  • Hope Burns Bright!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2010, 05:49:35 PM »
Sorry to keep spamming the thread, but I'm a planning freak.

So.

Meet at Jason's Deli there in the complex at 3 that afternoon? Chat for a while, go scout out some seats, enjoy the reading/discussion, wait to get in line until later on, maybe go out afterward (to where?), possibly with Jim in tow?

Do I have the up and down of it?

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2010, 06:55:31 PM »
Sorry to keep spamming the thread, but I'm a planning freak.

So.

Meet at Jason's Deli there in the complex at 3 that afternoon? Chat for a while, go scout out some seats, enjoy the reading/discussion, wait to get in line until later on, maybe go out afterward (to where?), possibly with Jim in tow?

Do I have the up and down of it?
I believe so yes.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2010, 09:07:19 PM »
That sounds right!

Also, we're making name tags with forum name and pictures, for everyone who's said they're coming!!

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
YOu peeps are going to have your own mini-convention going by the time next year rolls around! I'm so jealous!!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 11, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
*snuggleglomps MSD*

We'll have to find a way for you to join us next time!!

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
We'll see.
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Soulless Mystic5523

• Posty McPostington
  • Icon lovingly crafted by ButMadNNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 11, 2010, 09:24:43 PM »
YOu peeps are going to have your own mini-convention going by the time next year rolls around! I'm so jealous!!

We'll find some way of smuggling you up here. ;D
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN.

Death    Reaper Man   Terry Pratchett

DV SoullessMystic5523 V1.2 YR7 FR5 BK++ RP+++ JB++ TH++ WG CL++ SW+ BC+ MC---- SH[Murphy++, Molly+]

Offline BookLover♥

• Posty McPostington
  • Pass-Set-Crush!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 11, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
*nods*

We can plot...

<.<
>.>

::)