Linked Events

• Jim signs in Los Angeles, CA: April 10, 2010

Author Topic: April 10: Changes signing in Los Angeles, CA  (Read 14650 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: April 10: Changes signing in Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
It's considered good form to buy something at a bookstore when you go for a signing, but at many bookstores, it doesn't have to be the book you're getting signed.  You might want to call that location and inquire about their signing policy, though, as all bookstores feel differently about the issue.  Call the store at 714-897-8781 and find out theirs.

Offline Rule88

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 07:40:24 PM »
Yes! Now that is what im Talking about! :) haha  Im there.  Who else is in?  My mom is even wanting to go. Hahaha  Good day :)  And it is 6 days after my birthday.  Yeaaaa.

Offline David one Mutts Friend

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:21 PM »
I am going to be there!

David
I have a Wartenburg Wheel and I know how to use it! ;)
[/quote]

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 05:40:02 AM »
I will be attending. I should think of a better question to ask him this time than "Who should play Dresden in a Dresden Files movie?"

I felt like a complete noob. His answer of Will Smith confused me even more, but after thinking about it for a while, it kind of made sense, considering the type of character Dresden is, and the types of characters Will Smith has played in the past.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 09:54:37 PM »
Today, just got off the phone with the director of events at the store.

Yes, it is a wristband event! And the wristbands will be started out at 9 am on Saturday when you buy a book or present a sales slip to the cashier that you bought the book there that week.

If you are going to hang all day there at the mall after getting your wristband you should park in the parking structure, mall cops really do enforce the 90 min parking in front of B & N.

The only exception is a disabled parking placard or plates.

If you need to have a seat tell them when you get your wristband. This to let them know how many seats to reserve.

The limit is 3 items (Changes and two more) you can get back in line but only three at a time.

David
[/quote]

Offline Pita83

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2010, 02:47:58 AM »
It's a good thing I read this thread. For some reason I had that he would be there @ 7pm. I would have missed Jim!!! Oh the horror.

Offline madwand

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 04:44:10 PM »
Today, just got off the phone with the director of events at the store.

Yes, it is a wristband event! And the wristbands will be started out at 9 am on Saturday when you buy a book or present a sales slip to the cashier that you bought the book there that week.

If you are going to hang all day there at the mall after getting your wristband you should park in the parking structure, mall cops really do enforce the 90 min parking in front of B & N.

The only exception is a disabled parking placard or plates.

If you need to have a seat tell them when you get your wristband. This to let them know how many seats to reserve.

The limit is 3 items (Changes and two more) you can get back in line but only three at a time.

David

Just a little correction to David's post.  After speaking with the store manager I confirmed you do not have to buy Changes at the book store hosting the signing event.  However, you are required to have a receipt or proof of purchase to get a wrist band for the book signing. I panicked when I read David's post because I have already purchased and received two copies of Changes from B&N online.  Hope to see you all there.
Madwand

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2010, 05:42:00 PM »
Well they have revised the policy since I talked to them then.

David
[/quote]

Offline Purple

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 02:04:13 AM »
The hubby and I just got home from the Huntington Beach Signing... Jim's changed- Short hair no mustache or beard!!
Jim was asked about quite a few things including a curse thrown at him from a south american witch doctor- a popular question... My hubby asked him if he would write a short story from Mouse's point of view, and that got a few cheers.
Another person at the signing asked if he would do a story about Harry's mother, Lea and Mab, to which he answered no.
One of the first questions I don't remember that was asked was responded to with "I'm not gonna tell you" in a singsong voice.

The hubby and I found out Jim's son has a girlfriend, and the kids play video games together. I also showed Jim two of my dolls, a red haired fairy woman in a dress with red sparkly cloth wings who wanted pizza, and an elven version of Jim with mustache beard and long hair made of thread and yarn wearing a shirt which said "In the name of the Pizza Lord, Charge!"
The Elven version of Jim also had on a robe with a hood over his face, for the big reveal to Jim- and he stared for a moment before he realized that I had immortalized Him and then smiled. Said doll also had pants on and purple 'shoes'

Offline Idiom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 03:31:26 AM »
I was there today as well, had a great time meeting Jim again, and was pretty surprised about the short hair.  The question that Jim answered "I'm not gonna tell you" was whether or not Jim's daughter was part vampire.  He also mentioned a couple of other things:

1.  Title of the next book is Ghost Story
2.  I asked whether he'd be increasing the number of Dresden files books, given that he was a two novel / year writer; unfortunately, that won't be the case, and he'll be working on other projects to fill in the time between Dresden books.

Overall, it was a great time.  I was really surprised by the turnout, given that 3 years ago when he was in HB for White Night, the crowd was about half the size. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 05:22:25 AM by Idiom »

Offline Purple

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 04:20:41 AM »
You mean Harry's Daughter- Jim has a teenage son, who has a girlfriend... The two play video games together (as the hubby and I found out in the Signing line)

Offline trekbette

• Participant
    • View Profile
Jim was a gracious guest-author...
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2010, 07:01:50 PM »
I was also at the Huntington Beach signing.

Jim was a gracious guest-author. He told some great stories. The event started at 3 p.m. Several people (myself included) brought many books from home to also have signed. He stayed until after 7:30 signing everyone's books.

The only negative to the whole day was that, to get a wristband, we had to line up at 9 a.m. to buy Changes. That was fine. But that meant we had six hours to kill before the event actually started. Six hours to browse and enjoy a book store... I spent a lot of money!  ;D

Best parts of the day:
1. Meeting Jim
2. Hanging out with other genre fans. To get a seat, we had to get to the discussion area by about noon. We had some great discussions. Everyone was really friendly. In real life, I am quite shy. But I was talking to strangers, laughing and enjoying the interactions of other Dresden fans.

Thank you Jim!

P.S. I am all for getting together for a book group or something with other Dresden fans at other times. Jim brought us all together. But we can meet up without him at a restaurant or bookstore and talk Dresden.

Offline Idiom

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:54:24 AM »
I actually live up in Torrance, but I'd love to join a club like that!  Finding people who enjoy reading is so rare these days!

Offline trekbette

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 07:23:15 PM »
I live in Torrance as well! My brother-in-law lives in Gardena and he is also into the books. That gives us 3 people for a Butcher Book Club. Anyone else want in?

Offline Blackwood

• Participant
  • Harry, what you know about women, I could juggle.
    • View Profile
    • [m]ALICE
Re: Jim was a gracious guest-author...
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 07:42:10 PM »

P.S. I am all for getting together for a book group or something with other Dresden fans at other times. Jim brought us all together. But we can meet up without him at a restaurant or bookstore and talk Dresden.

I agree!  That would be so down.  A collection of Dresden nerds?  HELLS YEEEEAH.  That would be fun!  I'm down, so that's two in the Hunington Beachy area.  :]  We could be our own council!  Like... the Blue Council ('cause Harry's amulet light is blue!) or... the Off-White Council. Hahaha. 

Writer.  Artist.  Stoner.

.livelife.lovelife.