Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 84217 times)

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #210 on: September 07, 2010, 10:10:52 PM »
Wow, if you could follow anyone in that clusterfrak, you are the world's best PI.  Only way I could stay with my hubby was to keep a hand on his man-bag.

I ditto this.  Maybe Jim could use you as a reference source.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #211 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:33 PM »
I asked Jim:

Jim: He is wyldfae.  He isn't a subject of Mab or Titania.  That's what Wyldfae means.  But his origins are in the Summer-side of the cycle of seasons, just like Titania's are.
Ditto Santa, only in Winter. :)
(He /is/ beholden to Mother Summer, but basically everyone in Faerie is, so.)
(I mean, that's like saying "you must obey the law of gravity."  Duh.)

Me: You mean the Erlking has not learned to throw himself at the ground and miss? :D

Jim:  Something like that, yes. :)
If Grandma says "Dearie, I'd really like you to do this for me," you just DO it.  Or granny's roommate might pick up her shears.

So there you have it!

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 07, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Also, Hilton Reservations are open NOW for next year.  Code: DCN.  Rate is $188 Be aware, I called and double-checked, one night charge to reserve is NON-REFUNDABLE.

Yeah, sadly that's been the Hilton's way for a while now.  Not a bad hotel.  I went up with some fellow-con goers to drop stuff off once and their room was clean and comfortable.  What I've seen of the Hyatt and Marriott rooms were somewhat better.  I don't think any of them had mini-fridges or microwaves.  I don't know why they don't other than they must think they're too upscale for it.  I do appreciate that there are little safes in the Marriott rooms so you can stow away any extra cash, credit cards or valuables you don't feel like lugging around for the day.  I imagine it'd suck if you got too drunk to remember what combination you set, though.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 07, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »
Better safe than riding the MARTA in a rubber catsuit.  ;)

And taking a cab every night after the dance.

And having to run a MILE 'cause you forgot your badge.

:D

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
And once Trotfox was dressed up as Jareth the Goblin King...in a kilt...and Jennie Breeden starts up the leaf blower, the screams are deafening.  :D

*sigh*  You probably should have sent that Josh kid to come drag my butt out of bed, then.  I would've enjoyed watching that while remaining completely respectful of his wife.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
*sigh*  You probably should have sent that Josh kid to come drag my butt out of bed, then.  I would've enjoyed watching that while remaining completely respectful of his wife.

Luckily for you, you know me. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001168796555#!/video/video.php?v=1588649233444&ref=mf

Offline KalanF

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 07, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »
Jim B. is my hero for 2 reasons from this D*Con:

1. Being professional for the Boundaries Panel - his response to "what is the difference between gender & sexuality" was awesome-sauce and he kept his cool when at least one of the other authors got a bit hostile (probably because his answer somewhat broke her brain) ... that was one of the top 3 most excrutiating panels I've ever had to sit through at any D*Con ever (I've missed one D*Con since 1988). The "only girls are engineers" and line about Princess Leia were also awesome...

2. He managed to not say "don't do it" when asked about NERO advise and gave a great response.

Sadly, my general inebriation and prior commitments only let me catch 3 of his panels.
Do wish I'd gotten the chance to grab a boffer and get in line with a paint pen for the autograph line ... so wanted a "thank you for not beating me with this for how Changes ended -Jim B" signed boffer *sigh*

Hoping he'll be back next year and that the LARP director can talk him into doing a LARP panel (because if the Sex Binaries and the Art panel weren't out there, LARPing can't be much worse - may even cause the LARP panels to get in the actual programming :-/ )

~KF

Offline LDSman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 07, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
I TOTALLY SAW YOU! :-)

and i totally looked at a thread from 2006 and thought Jim was going to be Sunday at 5:30.  missing the 1pm signing :-(  all good though. will be there Sunday AM!

Was that in the Hyatt?  I saw someone getting checked out there.
If I let everyone I thought was an idiot die, there wouldn't be many people left.

No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 08, 2010, 02:34:40 AM »
I hit the sack at 2 am, didn't get up until around 9:30 or quarter 'til 10.  Crawled back into bed at noon and didn't rise from the dead until about 4 pm.

Why in the name of all that is holy am I still sleepy?!?!

I blame Aine.  I don't know how, but somehow this is her fault.

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #219 on: September 08, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »
Was that Browncoats movie any good? I missed the screening, but I thought about buying a copy on Monday, hoping they did a last-day-sale, but they didn't.

Oh yes :)  Some startlingly awesome effects for a fan film, and some very nice fanservice lines :)
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2010, 11:29:29 AM »
And once Trotfox was dressed up as Jareth the Goblin King...in a kilt...and Jennie Breeden starts up the leaf blower, the screams are deafening.  :D

Watch "The Devil's Panties" soon for some strips based on it! ;D

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 08, 2010, 11:32:27 AM »
*sigh*  You probably should have sent that Josh kid to come drag my butt out of bed, then.  I would've enjoyed watching that while remaining completely respectful of his wife.

The video's up on Jennie's FB/Twitter, and my husband's new fan page (apparently it was inevitable!).  Please ignore me screaming for more leg from him! ;D

There's also a video, I think, of Jennie leafblowing LAURELL K. HAMILTON...

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 08, 2010, 11:33:27 AM »
Luckily for you, you know me. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001168796555#!/video/video.php?v=1588649233444&ref=mf

Or there, yes.   ;D

Note to self:  Never videotape your awesome husband while drunk at 3am.

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 08, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
2. He managed to not say "don't do it" when asked about NERO advise and gave a great response.

IMO, this definitely gave him Geek Hero Cred. ;)  Made me wish someone'd asked him about City Of!  I was also amazed by how well he handled absolutely every question, even when asked if his portrayal of certain factions in Codex Alera translated to his opinions in reality - succeeded in being endearing to nearly everyone who asked anything, VERY politic.  His answer to that question in particular was fantastic, I thought.

I missed the Boundaries panel!  Hopefully it'll turn up on YouTube soon!

OH, and also!  My favourite answer - from his solo Interview panel:  Someone asked him about the brilliance of dropping hints about items in earlier books that do not turn up or become important until many books later, and how often does he plan this, etc...  His answer was he did it because his teacher said he had to.

(Also makes me wonder...!  He does mention
(click to show/hide)
in Storm Front, when calling up Toot for the first time.... Hmmmmm.... =D )
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 11:50:08 AM by ThriceISay »

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 08, 2010, 11:49:52 AM »
TIS-

Can you give us a synopsis of the juicy bits of the CSI panel? I missed that one.

--- Magis