Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 83893 times)

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48:53 PM »
TIS-
Can you give us a synopsis of the juicy bits of the CSI panel? I missed that one.
--- Magis

Well, we DID have the whole thing recorded, but at 55 out of 60 minutes, Trot's cell battery died and erased the ENTIRE video! :'-(

It was Mr. Butcher and three other authors (whose names I think are incorrect in the program because there's no L. Bickle and I'm pretty sure she was the Sparks and Embers author there...), all of whose series I am now very interested in!  Some of the questions were the standards, tell us about your setting, about your character, first person/third person, etc.  This the panel where I learned what "closed" vs. "open" means with regard to the supernatural element of urban fantasy.  Dresdenverse is "closed," for example - the existence of the supernatural element is largely NOT known about by the common person, and widely disbelieved and doubted.  The Merry Gentry series of Laurell K. Hamilton's, for example, is open.  Everyone knows about the fey. 

This is also the panel where the authors were asked by an audience member the following question, paraphrased by my exhausted memory:  Often an author will come across the problem of their main character becoming too powerful, too magical - that there are few problems he or she cannot solve or overcome.  What do you do to your characters to limit them, if you notice them becoming too powerful?

Jim Butcher clamped a hand over his mouth.  The audience erupted laughing.

Laura Bickle (I think?) also mentioned the importance of NOT neglecting your antagonists, depth-wise, to which Jim Butcher nodded vehemently in agreement (she was elabourating on his answer to the question about his opinion about a diplomatic faction in Codex Alera).  Bad guys aren't the best when they're moustache-twirling, 2-D villains who know they're villains.  Usually they think they're doing the right thing, too.  And then the author to Jim's left, whose name I also don't remember (I was REALLY relying on being able to review that video, drat :-( ) spoke about how sometimes the protagonist does NOT win and does NOT solve the crime.

There was also a question about the importance of sidekicks, and Laura Bickle brought up her fire salamander (she had a stuffed plush one on the table :D ) and Jim Butcher said his sidekicks rotate depending on need.  He said he thought it particularly funny and apropos to choose a mortician as a sidekick for a zombie plot - someone whose specialty was to look at dead bodies which were *NOT* moving around trying to kill you back.
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 08, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
Nice! I really hope someone uploads that one... sounds really amusing.

--- Magis

Offline AtlantaP.I.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 08, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »
Following someone at DC is alot easier than you would believe.  With it being so crowded most people don't take in their complete environment, let alone take the time to remember any faces.  Me and they person I was following were standing next to each other several times, and that is after I had been video taping him all day.   

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2010, 01:16:27 PM »
Following someone at DC is alot easier than you would believe.  With it being so crowded most people don't take in their complete environment, let alone take the time to remember any faces.  Me and they person I was following were standing next to each other several times, and that is after I had been video taping him all day.   

Um, that's not creepy at all?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2010, 02:20:18 PM »
You did catch the part where he's a PI, right Shecky?

--- Magis

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2010, 02:33:19 PM »
Considering the number of hook-ups at DC, I'm surprised there aren't more PIs at the con.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:02 PM »
You did catch the part where he's a PI, right Shecky?

--- Magis

And that makes it less creepy?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Magis

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2010, 02:56:35 PM »
I am forced to concede to your kung fu.

And yeah, I hadn't considered that there are probably a berjillion PIs at D*Con considering the circumstances.

--- Magis

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: September 08, 2010, 02:58:06 PM »
And that makes it less creepy?

Heh, I think what makes it creepy is not so much that the P.I. was doing this, but that he says the guy he was following never noticed he was being followed. Which makes one wonder if something like that has ever happened to them, and they never realized it either. It kind of brings these elements of mysteries and detective novels a little closer to us perceiving them realistically, I guess.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: September 08, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »
See? Creepy? Nothing against PIs, mind you; as with any other professions, the good ones do it right and it's a skillset that can be very respected. But the spelling-out of "I was following a person in a place that's all about good fun and HE NEVER KNEW IT" just feels too "muahahahahaaaaaa!" to me. Id est, creepy.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »

Now what would be really funny is if you chatted with him.  :D
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Chelle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: September 08, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
See? Creepy? Nothing against PIs, mind you; as with any other professions, the good ones do it right and it's a skillset that can be very respected. But the spelling-out of "I was following a person in a place that's all about good fun and HE NEVER KNEW IT" just feels too "muahahahahaaaaaa!" to me. Id est, creepy.
Me?  I'm thinking we need to hire him.  I could use a PI able to keep under the radar.

Unfortunately, none of my folks are in Georgia.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »
Heh, I think what makes it creepy is not so much that the P.I. was doing this, but that he says the guy he was following never noticed he was being followed. Which makes one wonder if something like that has ever happened to them, and they never realized it either. It kind of brings these elements of mysteries and detective novels a little closer to us perceiving them realistically, I guess.

I kind of figure mainly a PI gets hired to see if someone is cheating on their spouse...or committing insurance fraud or something, right? So if you're not doing anything wrong, odds are unlikely a PI would follow you. And if someone suspects you are doing something wrong, but you're innocent, well, no harm done from the PI, right? I mean, if a PI really wants to follow me going to work, doing errands, taking care of kids, etc...I just hope he can stay awake.  ;D
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Mousekabob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: September 09, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »
Yes that was me in the Renaissance!  Thank you.  8)  Were you there, too?  So was iago.

Also, Hilton Reservations are open NOW for next year.  Code: DCN.  Rate is $188 Be aware, I called and double-checked, one night charge to reserve is NON-REFUNDABLE.

https://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/meetings/access_group.jhtml;jsessionid=ZSGNGPMA5X5GUCSGBJF3EWQ?ctyhocn=ATLAHHH&startDate2=1/September 2011&endDate2=5/September 2011&groupCode=

Non refundable deposit, that's nuts.  I have the dates and times the Marriott and Hyatt are taking reservations as an alert in my phone!!!

Offline LDSman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:54 PM »
Non refundable deposit, that's nuts.  I have the dates and times the Marriott and Hyatt are taking reservations as an alert in my phone!!!

The Hyatt starts October 15th right?
If I let everyone I thought was an idiot die, there wouldn't be many people left.

No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise.

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me.