Author Topic: Spoiler section  (Read 2476 times)

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Spoiler section
« on: December 22, 2009, 03:31:24 AM »
Asking a question - and I think the answers are fair.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Spoiler section
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 03:37:42 AM »
This is the sort of poll that gives a chance for bad feelings to develop, if you ask me, but I'll let it ride for now. Hopefully everyone will stay civil. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:01:32 AM »
Now, I'm not one of the board's more noisy posters.  I tend not to post unless I have something substantive to say (or something funny...) so even though I've been here a very long time, I don't have a mondo post count.

That said, I've never noticed a problem in the Spoiler section.  I just say what I wanted to say and go on about my life.  So I can't say I even understand the problem.  So what if some people post a lot?  So what if they disagree with you?  Who cares?  What life-altering thing were you hoping to accomplish in the spoiler section of a message board?  You state your opinion, you're done.  If someone gets shirty with you, report them.  That's pretty much all there is to a message board.

This isn't the UN; you're not going to change world economic policies toward third-world nations.  If you think someone is browbeating you, you better first decide what your goal in being here is.  And if it's anything other than "to state my opinion on topics of interest and to read the opinions of others" -- a goal, I'll note, that no one but a mod can prevent you from attaining -- you might be expecting too much from a message board. 
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 11:23:06 PM »
*stands up and applauds Kali*

I agree 100 percent.  Well said.
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:10 AM »
:: Applauds Kali:: I admit I haven't been posting a whole lot, for a number of reasons, but the main one is simply that I haven't had anything substantial to say lately, due to many factors, least of which being that I've been busy in other fandoms. Doesn't mean that I've left TDF, or that I have no interest in Alera (which I need to get caught up on: read the first three books and got the last three, just haven't had the impetus to read them since I've been on an anime kick lately), it just means I've had other fannish priorities. I will admit that the more heated discussions started getting to me and I felt like saying "Hey, who made you the keeper of the mythos? :: Laughs:: " , but it wasn't the main reason I've been lurking more than posting lately. :: Looks at the two or three dub anime sites open in several tabs ::

I will confess that I've been staying away from speculation on Changes, mostly because I'm a bit skeptical about some of the things Jim's bringing to the table in it. No reflection on Jim or the folks discussing these "Changes", but more a reflection of my own personal doubts. I'd rather wait and see what he comes up with, rather than make guesses about it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 01:25:30 AM by Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon) »

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »
I'm usually not very vocal in Spoilers unless a topic comes up where I think I have something of substance to say.  When I do, I've never been put off from saying it.  I will say that I sometimes find the parsing/dissecting of posts a bit hard to keep up with.  It kind of creates a situation where there are multiple conversations on different subjects going on at the same time, which can be hard to follow.  I don't find it unwelcoming, though, just a bit daunting at times.  But I usually have no problem picking out a point or two I'd like to address and commenting on that.

I like some of the speculating myself.  It can be fun.  It can also become decidedly un-fun when it devolves into standing on either side of a window and arguing whether it faces in or out.  I don't think that that is something the mods can do anything about, it's just up to people to be the one to step back and move on.  There comes a point at which you have to realize that no matter how much text evidence you think you have that says Lara Wraith wears ecru panties, you're no more right or wrong than the guy thinks they're eggshell.  That's the only real problem I see cropping up in Spoilers.  I don't think anyone is trying to be inflammatory or rude.  But remember, it's just fiction.  No matter if we disagree on a point, we're all here because we enjoy a great author.  Know when to agree to disagree, shake hands, and find a new topic.  (Besides, anyone with half a brain knows Lara wears ivory panties).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:57:42 PM by Chiroptera (nee Araneae) »
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:53:41 PM »
You think she wears panties?  That's so sweet...
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:32 PM »
For what it may be worth, for me the detailed dissection, and cavilling on the ninth part of a hair, and so on, is the fun.  I've been reading these books in detail with attention for some years and we still, as a forum, find things that surprise me with some regularity; Jim's work is solid and deep and complex enough to reward that level of reading.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.