Author Topic: Search function  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
Search function
« on: December 11, 2009, 10:11:51 PM »

I have noticed that there seems to be an increase in multiple threads on the same topic. At first I got all indignant  ;) that no one seemed to use the search function.

I decided to see if it was me and typed "SUSAN" in the seach field on the home page.

The "I Hate Susan" thread wasn't displayed as an option as a thread title. It did find all the references in the text of various threads. If I actually go to the SEARCH from the menu bar I can be more specific and get the results I am looking for.

Is there a set parameter for the search field? I think that is why there are so many duplicate topics-people DO do a search and don't get the appropriate threads listed as results. I know thats where I'd go first... I had assumed I'd get the same results from using the button as I would with the menu option. I think if you just get to the site thats the first place you'd look before posting a new topic. (Confession: I never really used the search menu option because I assumed I'd get the same results  ::) )

Is this something that can be changed or otherwise re-parameter-ed? (I know, I know, its not a real word... don't tell Shecky ;))

Thanks
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Search function
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 10:13:59 PM »
If you go to the Search page, there's a ticky-box for "Search in topic subjects only."  Would that give you what you're looking for?

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »

Yes... I got the results I was looking for that way. I am a lazy searcher and have used the field in the top right of the page if I was looking for something. It just seemed odd that using that option didn't automatically search thread titles instead of text...
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 12:47:09 AM »

I think what I meant to ask was if there was a way to make the default search options for the "quick" search to automatically go to thread title instead of text search.

Does this make sense or am I foggy as usual?  8)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 01:32:43 AM »
It makes sense, but I don't know if it's possible.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Sterling Rat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 08:04:29 PM »
If it is possible, can you also change the quick search to show most recent posts first instead of highest %? I had an idea about something and... honestly, I know I'm not all that creatively original, so I assumed someone else has had this idea first. I wanted to know what people thought about it, so I attempted a search.

also, what's the policy on thread-o-mancy?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:11 PM »
If it is possible, can you also change the quick search to show most recent posts first instead of highest %? I had an idea about something and... honestly, I know I'm not all that creatively original, so I assumed someone else has had this idea first. I wanted to know what people thought about it, so I attempted a search.

also, what's the policy on thread-o-mancy?

Don't know. I did change the search's "weighting", so that subject lines get a heavier result weighting than they did before.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/