Author Topic: D and D  (Read 3595 times)

Offline Dreadseeker

• Participant
    • View Profile
D and D
« on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:21 AM »
anyway to use the D&D dice system on this game instead of fudge?
I'm just more used to the D&D dice system.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: D and D
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »
Are you talking about using d20 instead of 4dF or d6-d6?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Dreadseeker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 02:28:54 AM »
yeah, the d20 system

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
yeah, the d20 system
I'm not clear on whether you're talking about using a d20 die (the physical die) or converting the entire game to the d20 system. The latter would be a bit of an undertaking. The former might work if you can get the d20 rolls to map to a -4 to +4 or -5 to +5 center-weighted roll.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Dreadseeker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 02:34:52 AM »
all right, thanks for the help

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 10:29:51 AM »
You might be able to use the Monte Cook's World of Darkness book. That's d20 system and has been mentioned in another thread. You could then get the Dresden Files book for the setting information. You'd still have a lot on conversion to do on creatures and characters. Be careful not to get the World of Darkness book for the Storytelling system if you're purely after the d20 system.

Alternatively, FATE isn't really that difficult to learn or pick up. To get it right takes a few games ;). There's a publicly available SRD for FATE 3.0 which is based on the rules for Evil Hat's Spirit of the Century game. Perhaps have a look at that.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 10:39:30 PM »
Alternatively, FATE isn't really that difficult to learn or pick up. To get it right takes a few games ;). There's a publicly available SRD for FATE 3.0 which is based on the rules for Evil Hat's Spirit of the Century game. Perhaps have a look at that.

Indeed. While FATE isn't as simple as RISUS or Wushu, it's really very simple. I have yet to need more than five minutes to explain how the game works.

Dreadseeker: If you're interested in having the basics of the system explained to you, I'd be happy to walk you through it. There are lots of fan made add ons, but at its core FATE isn't much more complicated than rolling two dice, adding them together, then adding a skill and comparing it to a difficulty.

Offline Dreadseeker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:17:43 AM »
all right, thanks for the help everyone

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 07:05:45 PM »
I find that the simple mechanic behind OD&D is easier to adapt to campaigns like Dresden than d20, because d20 makes use of so many more details (such as skills and feats). Uing the old OD&D rules, it's easy to throw together a quick spell list and get players underway. Monsters are rated by only a couple of stats, so they are easier to convert as well.

If you don't have access to OD&D, you might google search for "Swords & Wizardry" (which is an OD&D clone) or OSRIC (which is an AD&D clone) because both are simple and are free downloads.

Another adjustment I tend to make is forcing wizards to be a fighter-mage or thief-mage, in order to control their magic level somewhat.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
As a further thought, you might look at the threads on d20 for Dresden and M&M for Dresden. (M&M is a superhero system, based on the d20 mechanic.) Both of those threads have some neat ideas.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975