Author Topic: Tools for Writers  (Read 40648 times)

Offline Bearracuda

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Tools for Writers
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
I would like to say thanks to Mickey and everyone else who posted here.  I had no idea that word wouldn't work very well for writing.  (this may have something to do with my highest word count so far being 12k)  And I had no idea that there was such a considerable selection of other programs to choose from that could do so much for my writing.  This is the coolest thread I've ever read.  Anywhere.

Offline jomaxc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
I love writing excuses. Lot's of good information there.

Personally, I use Scrivener for Windows (new Beta available till Nov 7)

Offline DragonChi

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2011, 12:19:03 AM »
For indie authors interested in the quickly growing e-reader market, try www.smashwords.com site their free format guide is very helpful as is their free marketing guide.  The finished product is also easy to translate to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and Createspace.  This will get you online for all the major readers Kindle, Nook and I-Pad and more. 
Gil Hough
email at gilhough (at) yahoo.com
Follow on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/GilHough
Authors page Smashwords: http://www.smashword...e/view/gilhough
His Epic Fantasy novel CELSTIAL JUSTICE is available at Smashwords and Amazon.com
Discount Couple - $1 Dollar off for CELESTIAL JUSTICE

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2011, 11:46:16 PM »
Figured I'd link-Scrivener for Windows is now available for purchase.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
hi i did niot know how many there were out there to help with wrighting
i have to say that I may still stick to hand wrighting the plot brain storms and carictor profiles but thats just me
i am old fationed for someone who is of my geniration (15-25)
and then no one but me can read it. due to my scedual my laptop is not always near me when i get a good idea so they get joted down to

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:20 PM »
Hand-writing's fine, if you don't mind typing it up later. You wouldn't be the only writer to do things that way.  But seriously, you need a spell-checker. Badly. Very, very badly. Even if you're severely dyslexic (one of my last bosses was, to the point of illiteracy) there are software programs that will help figure out what you're trying to say, or you can use Dragon to dictate to. It'll get some words wrong, but far fewer than you have wrong in just that small post.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
1. i am dislexic
2. my site is not 20,20 my any means
3. my nots are notly when i cant acses my laptop or ideas for carictors that i am unshore of
4. english is a stupid language but the only one i know (they have been trying to teach me to spell since i was 3 i am now oldenuth to leave egucation under english law)
5. i have the most amazing frined ever who reads and spell checks every thing that i type up for me (note vision and dislexia)

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
i have dragon but with my siblings music in the background it dose not pick up my voce clearly enuth and i am kinda lazy to loud it though i do dictat longer peaces and i apoligies if my spelling afends any one
 ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2012, 09:37:50 PM »
Your spelling doesn't offend anyone cenwolfgirl so don't worry about it.
Hand writing notes is a good way to keep track of ideas when you don't have access to your computer.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:31 PM »
thanks nice to know aome one agrees with me

due to above sight not being that of most people my age i like to draw what i have to describe to get an idea of how to describe it in words
my frineds argue i like to doodle
but thats of topic

and realy isent wrighting kind of a persanle what ever you find works for you thing?

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2012, 09:57:19 PM »
You're absolutely right cenwolfgirl - it's personal and what ever works for you.
Doodle if that works, take hand notes, work on the computer however you can.

cenwolfgirl

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
i wont to respond to that with somthing clever but am kinda shocked
few people actualy say things like your right to me
so thank your for agreeing with me!
 ;D

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 10:04:25 PM »
i wont to respond to that with somthing clever but am kinda shocked
few people actualy say things like your right to me
so thank your for agreeing with me!
 ;D

You're welcome but anyone should agree with you.  Writing is a personal thing and you do what works for
you.

Offline Jabberwockey

• Participant
  • Dont ask me, Im lost too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Ok, Ive downloaded the trial version of Writeitnow and it seems like a very interesting program.  Still not sure about committing to the cost, small as it might be, for a program that I will only use for what is currently a hobby.  Having just written that I feel kind of stupid saying it as I spent $700 on my helm for heavy weapons fighting in the SCA!!  Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the different options for programs and the info about using MS Office.  Hadnt really considered the fact that it wasnt created for novel sized documents but for the stage I am currently at, it will work for now. 
Do what you enjoy for the love of it and the rest be damned!

Offline MClark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:17 PM »
Ok, Ive downloaded the trial version of Writeitnow and it seems like a very interesting program.  Still not sure about committing to the cost, small as it might be, for a program that I will only use for what is currently a hobby.  Having just written that I feel kind of stupid saying it as I spent $700 on my helm for heavy weapons fighting in the SCA!!  Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the different options for programs and the info about using MS Office.  Hadnt really considered the fact that it wasnt created for novel sized documents but for the stage I am currently at, it will work for now.

Scrivener and WriteWayPro are a few dollars cheaper than WriteItnow and ywriter5 is free, so you could try those.

OTOH, if you get words on the page with Office, don't fix what isn't broken.

Good luck with the SCA fighting.