Author Topic: New civil discussion section?  (Read 5514 times)

Aine

Re: New civil discussion section?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 10:17:55 PM »
I think it's a lot better to put all those replies in one reply, personally. I do find the style of posting you're describing as having a quashing effect on lower-volume posters.  But that's my personal take, not a Policy Take.

But like I've said, I think the better move is to have thread by thread ground rules, rather than a big bludgeon of a policy.

And I simply asked if was policy and you replied that it wasn't.  It seems pretty simple, really: no policy change.  

As it is also not my personal take, I am starting a Book Club in a chat room for those who are more like minded.  I fail to see how my starting a Book Club is requesting any policy or rule change on the part of the forum or how it could be construed as such.  

I read through the rules in the Book Club section and it said we were encouraged to do live chat book discussion and post transcripts or summary in the Book Club area.  I hope this is still the case. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:21:21 PM by Áine »

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 12:24:44 AM »
It's probably worth noting that I'm now a lot more wary about posting in reply to someone who's replied to me, simply because I don't want to be accused of bullying or cutting off debate.  I don't like that feeling, it removes a lot of the fun of the forums for me, when I have to double check I haven't post TOO much in a given thread, lest I be considered to be drowning out others.

I have to agree with this.  A lot of the fun of this board is gone for me, and I'm mainly a Mac's poster.  There are people who dominate the conversations over there just as much, but since that's "anything goes," it's determined to be fine.  Instead of getting into arguments over it, I quit posting.  I suspect other people did the same.
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2009, 01:08:19 AM »
It's probably worth noting that I'm now a lot more wary about posting in reply to someone who's replied to me, simply because I don't want to be accused of bullying or cutting off debate.  I don't like that feeling, it removes a lot of the fun of the forums for me, when I have to double check I haven't post TOO much in a given thread, lest I be considered to be drowning out others.

I think wariness on every posters part is a good thing. Yes it might be more fun to just post whatever pops into your head regardless of how bulling or insulting it is or how else other posters might perceive it, but that doesn’t make it right. I believe consideration of other posters should always be thought about before you hit the post button.
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline DragonFire

• Posty McPostington
  • Knuckleduster of God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »
I think wariness on every posters part is a good thing. Yes it might be more fun to just post whatever pops into your head regardless of how bulling or insulting it is or how else other posters might perceive it, but that doesn’t make it right. I believe consideration of other posters should always be thought about before you hit the post button.
Whoa whoa whoa Back up the wagon there son.

I said I was more wary about posting, full stop, NOT that I was reconsidering content OR attacking other posters.

Let's not slop mud around here.

There is a vast difference between people posting and others feeling 'excluded' and people posting rude and insulting things.

God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead -God

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
-Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 14

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2009, 01:12:47 AM »
Arguing in this thread will not be tolerated. Thread locked.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/