Author Topic: Beta Readers  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
Beta Readers
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:53:57 PM »
I've been trying to decide how to go about finding a safe group of beta readers.  Being in Hawaii, a writing group isn't really possible for me, and most of my family and friends aren't really sci-fi/fantasy fans.  I asked Shannon Butcher on Twitter and she said to check out my Romance Novelists local chapter but again after looking over the group that makes up the Hawaii chapter they don't feel right.  Anyone have other suggestions on how to put a trustworthy group of beta readers together?  I'm thinking I want to find about 5 people.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Beta Readers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:55:58 PM »
I've been trying to decide how to go about finding a safe group of beta readers.  Being in Hawaii, a writing group isn't really possible for me, and most of my family and friends aren't really sci-fi/fantasy fans.  I asked Shannon Butcher on Twitter and she said to check out my Romance Novelists local chapter but again after looking over the group that makes up the Hawaii chapter they don't feel right.  Anyone have other suggestions on how to put a trustworthy group of beta readers together?  I'm thinking I want to find about 5 people.

What precisely do you mean by trustworthy here - what failure of trust are you worried about ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »
As someone who's been a few different kinds of beta reader, what kind are you looking for?   

Do you want someone to read it over for spelling/grammatical/punctuation errors?
Do you want someone to look for plot holes, character contradictions, inconsistencies, or fact-checking? ("They drove the van to the lake, but when they left two chapters later, they were in a car.")
Do you want someone to read it and give you an opinion on the quality of the story?

It's generally not a good idea to expect one person to do all the jobs.  Not that your fact-checker can't catch spelling errors, but you want someone whose eyes are focused on a specific task.  And while you want someone with good written skills to critique your grammar and spelling, you don't need that in someone who's just giving you an overall opinion on your story.  But you would want someone who's done a lot of reading in your genre.

If you want the third kind of beta reader, you can help make their job easier by providing them with a list of questions.  Be SPECIFIC.  Of course you want an overall opinion, but when you're doing your own final edit, make notes of what page number you're on and what you're wondering.  That will help you make your list of questions.  It can come out like:

Pg 40:  Was the conversation between Jon and Jane vivid enough, or did the humor distract you?
Pg 66:  Did you find the appearance of the knife to be too coincidental?

Additionally, keep a list of overall questions like:
Did you find Jon to be a sufficiently sympathetic character to maintain your interest?
Was the relationship between Jane and her brother creepy or just close?

That way, you avoid unhelpful beta responses like "I enjoyed your story!" which gives you nothing.  Ask them to read it through and write a paragraph of their overall opinion, then ask them to re-read if they need to in order to tackle the specific questions.

Hope this helps you pick your people.  Good luck finding the ones you need. :)
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:41 AM »
Okay Wow...
I'll be honest and say I had no idea finding beta readers involved so much thought, but boy am I glad I asked.  Thank you Kali for all the advice.  Especially the part about making questions throughout the story and seperate readers for different things.  Thank you so so much.  I will definatly adjust my search.

As for neurovore's question.  I guess by trustworthy I mean people who wont steal your idea.  I know, being unpublished, you should be happy when someone will read your story at all.  I'm not so arrogant that I think I've written anything award winning or anything, but I am a little paranoid.  Am I that unique in worrying about this?  If I am let me know.  Maybe I need a reality check.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 11:13:33 AM »
Being worried about people stealing ideas is not a good sign.

Ideas are to writers as cockroaches are to entomologists; yes, they are the focus of life long passion. However, one does not want them all over the house and one certainly does not want anyone else’s. 

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 11:46:28 AM »
I didn't mean to make it sound all complex. :)  It doesn't have to be.  Unless you know your manuscript is riddled with grammatical errors and such, you probably don't need a reader for that.  Copy editors need job security! Though I understand they'll find stuff wrong even if they have to invent it...

And you can ask people who're reading it to keep an eye out for inconsistencies.  Like I said, though, stuff has less chance of creeping through if you're specific about what you want people to read for.  And you'll generally get more useful feedback, too.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Gritti

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 02:02:57 PM »
Thanks Kris_W for the wisdom, and thanks Kali for the follow up.