Author Topic: Writing every day  (Read 6092 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Writing every day
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 04:52:01 PM »
The best way to get the words on the page is different for everyone.  My own working patterns are such that one session of four hours is about five times as productive as four sessions of an hour each.  If writing every day works for you, good for you; the shape of my work and life right now is such that it works a lot better for me to work one night a week, and preferably Friday, from getting home from work at sixish into the small hours of the morning. I'm reliably getting a couple of thousand words every week, it still adds up satisfyingly over a year.  Iain Banks has made a very successful career of goofing off ten months of the year and writing one novel a year in six weeks of panic.

With regard to quality vs. quantity, again it varies.  I can revise, but I'm aware of at least one well-regarded published author who is close to incapable of changing things once they are set down, and therefore has to get them right before setting them down.  Don't rely on being able to revise unless you've tried.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.