Author Topic: What cool stuff is going on with the rpg?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
What cool stuff is going on with the rpg?
« on: October 05, 2009, 05:17:32 PM »
It's been a while since the last status update, and I was just wondering what kind of things are going on right now with the rpg?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: What cool stuff is going on with the rpg?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 05:47:16 PM »
LOTS of editing still underway.  We're close to first-draft-text complete, with just a couple of chapters still underway. 

Procedurally, or in terms of "telling the story of the book", this is mostly boring-ass stuff, which is probably why you haven't seen as much said about it.  It's the part of book work that's slow and grindy.  The every-two-weeks peeks that we've been posting over on the site -- that's the stuff that's actually exciting.

Editing page after page of statblocks?  Dull as dirt.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »
In terms of source material, is SmF still the cutoff?  There was a lot of cool stuff in TC about
(click to show/hide)
, and so forth.

Also, what happens are first draft?  Second draft, I suppose, but does Jim have to approve the text at this point?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 10:10:16 PM by ludomaniac »
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:02 PM »
We're still cutting things off at Small Favor because we want there to be chance in hell of finishing the thing.

I'm assuming the question is what happens after the first draft.  We spend a few months editing and revising.  It's sort of useless to say whether this results in a second draft or 100th draft, the way relentless revisioning and refactoring tends to work.

After that the text is considered "finalized", and proceeds into layout and a lot of business-logistics planning that I don't currently have time to get into. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 11:09:09 PM »
Yes, I meant after.  What a silly typo!  :-[

I see what you mean about drafts.  I guess making a game does not necessarily follow the classic model of three drafts.
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C. S. Lewis

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:46:14 AM »
With a game that's been in development as long as DFRPG I think that really really thorough editing is the way to go. I'm certainly willing to wait as long as it takes for a game that's as typo and errata free as possible. With a game as awesome as SotC to work off of, I can really see this game being a steady seller for a good long time.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »
LOTS of editing still underway.  We're close to first-draft-text complete, with just a couple of chapters still underway. 

Procedurally, or in terms of "telling the story of the book", this is mostly boring-ass stuff, which is probably why you haven't seen as much said about it.  It's the part of book work that's slow and grindy.  The every-two-weeks peeks that we've been posting over on the site -- that's the stuff that's actually exciting.

Editing page after page of statblocks?  Dull as dirt.
;D I'm sure it can be dull, but I've been listening to some of your gaming podcasts and have become fascinated with the process of how an rpg gets made. Kind of like the first time I watched the show How it's made and came away thinking "wow, so that's how they make a microphone."

How long does it take to put an rpg through layout? I know it probably depends on size and graphics of the rpg, but how long did it take for SotC and how much time are you preparing for DFRPG?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:26:04 PM »
;D I'm sure it can be dull, but I've been listening to some of your gaming podcasts and have become fascinated with the process of how an rpg gets made. Kind of like the first time I watched the show How it's made and came away thinking "wow, so that's how they make a microphone."

How long does it take to put an rpg through layout? I know it probably depends on size and graphics of the rpg, but how long did it take for SotC and how much time are you preparing for DFRPG?

All of the "production" work, from layout to proofing to printing to shipping, can take as much as 6 months, easy, if you've got a fairly rich layout you're going for and you're using an overseas/non-domestic printer.

SotC was a very lightweight layout compared to what I'll be doing with DFRPG, so it doesn't really compare.
Fred Hicks

Offline Magus-k

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:54 PM »
Here's a good question, when can we start giving you money?   ;D

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
Here's a good question, when can we start giving you money?   ;D

Sometime in 2010, hopefully.

We'll try to be more specific about that before the end of this year.
Fred Hicks

Offline ludomaniac

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Sometime in 2010, hopefully.

We'll try to be more specific about that before the end of this year.

Put me down for three copies!  Seriously, I'll be giving a couple as gifts.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:41:40 AM »
Yes, I too will be redistributing a good bit of my wealth to the folks at Evil Hat as soon as they allow it.  ;D

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 05:10:45 PM »
Just gone done reading the RPG.Net thread on DFRPG and wanted to drop a word to you Fred and the rest of the crew.

None of us asked you in person to do this game. You decided to take on the blood sweat and tears of making an RPG, and one as massive as a Dresden Files at that.

And as a role-player of 25+ years and a Dresden Files fan of 3+ years I wanted to state this in as public forum as possible.

Thank you.

Yeah, I know it's not out yet. Yes I know it won't be out next week. I don't care.

And no doubt, there have been and will be times you just want to say "Aw, screw it!" and just chuck this whole damn thing off of a cliff somewhere.

But you haven't and gods willing you won't.

But until you get the book out and published and I meet you at a con with my copy in hand to get it signed by you and the rest of the crew present, I am still going to be here saying "thank-you".

Because you are doing it, and you haven't quit.

Anyway, I'm done ass-kissing for now. Thanks.
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99