Author Topic: NaNoWriMo anyone?  (Read 29678 times)

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
Re: NaNoWriMo anyone?
« Reply #135 on: November 24, 2009, 02:33:29 PM »
I still haven't added any more to mine, though the denoument could use a little more oomph.  It's bugging me to go back and edit it, but I really want more of it to fade away in my mind a bit more.  If it's too familiar, I'll blah over bits instead of really reading them, I fear.  Plus, I don't want to be bored by my own story on the first edit.

I have noticed little bits of plot are starting to drift through my head, so a sequel might be in the offing.  It might also be a good way to push the first story back a bit so I can get perspective on it.  Though evidently this one's going to involve a Voundoun queen who, it seems, wasn't born in Jamaica but puts on the accent.  So my poor spell checker will be wailing and gnashing its teeth over words like "doan" and stuff.  And Ethan, who might or might not be kidnapping Rachel, which would make me sad because then the radio can't be in it and neither can Smokin' Hot Catholic Priest.  I'll hafta see.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 24, 2009, 11:00:58 PM »
51K as of Sunday night/Monday morning. I doubt I'll write more at this point, since I am now smack in the middle of Thanksgiving week at work, and that means it's a madhouse, plus I need to feed some of the unrelated plotbunnies that showed up during the month...

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2009, 12:39:13 AM »
I have 44+ K and need to add a good 5K and am having a problem filling in the blanks with extra words. UGH!
Help!

Offline Kris_W

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2009, 03:50:02 AM »
Need more words? Try 'the'. It's always a good word to stick in. I find that 'very', 'really' and 'well' fit everywhere, too. In fact, when I finish a piece I usually do a search and delete most of those four words that I find. ;)

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2009, 05:48:56 AM »
I have 44+ K and need to add a good 5K and am having a problem filling in the blanks with extra words. UGH!
Help!

Try adding a few new POVs. Write a scene from somebody else's narrative viewpoint, one that varies substantially from the initial presentation. A random thug, cop, Starbucks barista, or stray cat happens to witness the scene and gives their own spin.

Have the characters spew off a montage of the cheesiest lines from Twilight. Bonus points if they reenact the scenes and use props. (I actually did this and thought it was funny but not many people agreed. Too many fans...)

Have your character do something completely unexpected. Create a reason and deal with the fallout and work it into the story.

Umm...yeah sorry that's all I got and it sure ain't much.   :( Sorry. Medicated and still writing--in the loosest sense of the word. Good luck with those last 5K.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 05:53:22 AM by belial.1980 »
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2009, 01:52:12 PM »
Could your story use a prologue or an epilogue?  Maybe smack in the middle, you could do something from your bad guy's viewpoint.

For slightly cheaty things, give someone a two word name.  I do not decry the buffer that "Father Christopher" gave to my word count...
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2009, 05:22:20 PM »
well I forgot I have to have one guy who's left behind both read a journal of someone who's left and find out something nobody's known about that has to do with his future. So that may just take 5000 words LOL

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2009, 05:28:55 PM »
Hit 48K last night!  Having my protag. doped up on morphine after a life-threatening injury and hallucinating was good for at least 3000 words!
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2009, 01:54:16 AM »
Got my purple bar today,

I am about half way through the rough edit, then it goes to my co writer. after that it is out into the world....
Regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2009, 03:26:47 AM »
Whoops, forgot about the purple bar -- though I probably could have waited for it. :: laughs:: I'll be poking at this one for a while yet, but 51K words in three weeks, while holding down a job and doing what I usually do is not to be sniffed at!

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2009, 03:29:34 AM »
Im happily at 45k... now to get that last drops of wordings squeezed from my brain and into my story. *wrings out her brain tightly trying to get every last word*

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2009, 04:12:45 AM »

I'd been on pace for 60k but the last week was pretty brutal. Will definitely get a "win" but hope to finish the story itself. Probably take another week or two but it'll feel good to have a completed manuscript even if it's attrocious.

Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2009, 11:25:47 PM »
Lost a couple days due to hosting a crowd of 24 for Thanksgiving, but hope to hit my 50K mark tonight and keep going thru December til I finish the actual manuscript.  also, I picked up 2 more beta readers who are "in the business" for my previous work in progress, so that's encouraging.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline j3nnee

• Posty McPostington
  • Has the gift
    • View Profile
    • Blue Girl Graphics
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2009, 11:29:19 PM »
just over 2k left... eeps

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 28, 2009, 05:24:26 AM »
Congratulations all who are over 50K and KEEP HANGING IN THERE to all who are just about to make it! I'm sitting here in the stands rooting for you!
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D