Author Topic: help me out? short story, maybe Bradbury that had Zugs and Ziggerty?  (Read 1485 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
I read a sci fi short story that had a zug and I think a ziggerty?  Anyone remember that?  I've a friend who is using ziggerty in her writing and it kind a grinds against something inside me---like it's stepping on the toes of a sci fi classic.  For the life of me I can't remember the name of the story! Anyone remember it?  Should I even mention it, if that is the case? 

It just seems to me that there are sci fi things you don't step on when it's a classic.  It's really bugging me...  Thanks in advance!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
Re: help me out? short story, maybe Bradbury that had Zugs and Ziggerty?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 04:54:59 AM »
wtf is a ziggerty... or a zug.... or a Bradbury. Mmmm easter eggs. sorry, Cadbury... mmmm chocolate bunnies.

wait, what were we talking about?

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:55 AM »
Zug-zug was a euphemism in Ringo Starr's classc movie "Caveman."  Other than that I got nothin'
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:59:04 PM »
I Googled both words and it turns out Zug is a place in Switzerland.  Ziggerty is all over the board, so to speak; it's everything from a cookie (Hot Ziggerty Bars) to, apparently, a rock climb in Britain, but I can't figure out what it means, if anything.  Sounds like it might be a nonsense word along the lines of Hot Diggety!  Bradbury didn't come up in connection with either term.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com