Author Topic: What is the book?  (Read 4108 times)

Dr. Blood

Re: What is the book?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 09:46:10 PM »
I thought the worst ending of a series was Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's Hunters of Dune and Sandworms of Dune.  I know they were supposedly finished from Frank's own outline, but man was that bad.

Offline Philliph

• Participant
  • Because there aren't any explosions.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the book?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 12:25:41 AM »
Ahh, for those people who have read the original post i digress.

The wind on fire trilogy by author William Nicholson.
Although i started this to talk about the endings, his is a rather good idea. The author puts much detail into the surroundings, and in the second book he even writes about a few months or years where the main character was in a slave pin and if anyone had tried to escape they would kill a family member. or a whole family. There was so much potential for a climax that was all about war and intense fighting but, if i remember correctly, he didn't even write about it at all.
But, there were a lot of people who like the style. i just couldn't get into it...even though i willed myself to read through the whole series.
But this was a couple years ago.

My point is that the author put so much time into detail and great archetypes for the story that he forgot to make it interesting.

If any of you have read the Fall of Farsala Trilogy you'd know what i mean when i say that Hilari Bell knows how to moderate.

Action, lack of it, detail, humor, dialogue, and most of all an enthralling story that seems completely possible. I may be praising her too much but I know i could learn a few things from her.

Except for one thing. For all of her cool font styles and font size she DOUBLE SPACED! The heathen!  8)
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for mankind.
-Horace Mann

A little rule, a little sway
A sunbeam in a winters day
Is all the proud and might have
between the cradle and the grave.
-John Dyer