Author Topic: Writing Sequels  (Read 3384 times)

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
Writing Sequels
« on: December 25, 2006, 02:22:19 AM »
Hey, I was inspired to write a second story almost immediately after finishing my first (90,000 word) novel.  The problem is that the first one isn't published yet.

Is it a good idea to make a series to sell?

A complicated issue I'm sure.
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline James

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Writing Sequels
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2006, 09:48:14 AM »
I am almost sure that by the time Jim got his publishing deal he had written 3 of The Dresden Files books, It's what made them sign him if I remember correctly.

Surely if your in the mood to write another book you should just go with it.
Text arriving soon...

Offline prime_spirit

• Conversationalist
  • You only got one day that's your last...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2006, 11:02:03 AM »
IMHO, sequels are the defining factor on your ability as a writer. You shouldn't put out a sequel just because you think you got the first one right and that you like the story enough to continue. Success or not, the first novel are mostly meant as introductory on your skills as a writer and imaginator. Sometime, sequels are the stuff that make or break your series so you have to be careful on your plot and structure. In the second time around, readers have an idea of who you are and have expectations. I would recommend if you're sure you can really do better the next time around.

With that said, I sincerely wish you the best of good luck as you've done more that I have... ;)

Beta-testing: December 2007

Offline terioncalling

• Conversationalist
  • Armed with a pencil, paper, & a boatload of crazy.
    • View Profile
    • terion.net
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2006, 06:09:12 PM »
I am almost sure that by the time Jim got his publishing deal he had written 3 of The Dresden Files books, It's what made them sign him if I remember correctly.

Surely if your in the mood to write another book you should just go with it.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain he had the first three finished and that's what cinched the deal.

So having the first few books in a series completed could get you a deal or it could not.  I know in my big fantasy world I intend to try and finish the first two books - they're more like companion books than 1st and 2nd since they occur in the same general timeframe - before I go anywhere trying to get them published.  And after that there's three sequel's I'm plotting along with a whole story on one character plus three that go into the world's history.
"If I lose the light of the sun, I will write by candlelight, moonlight, no light. If I lose paper and ink, I will write in blood on forgotten walls. I will write always. I will capture nights all over the world and bring them to you." - Henry Rollins

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 03:11:30 PM »
I've heard through various grapevines that when seeking an agent it's a good idea to have at least three completed works, whether they be a series or not.  They want to know you're serious about writing and aren't going to just quit after the first one gets published.  So multiple books shows that you are dedicated to the craft.

That's just what I've heard.  I'm still working on my first book, so it's not like I'm experienced or anything.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 07:00:42 PM »
Absolutely. Keep writing. It's great to have finished that first book, but the hope is that with each story you write, you will improve. You'll learn new tricks, try new methods, think up better plots. And if that first story doesn't sell (though, of course, the eternal hope is that it will) then it is great to show you are dedicated to the craft by having another story drafted, polished and in reserve. And another. And, oh yes, this one over here. Yes, agents and editors like to know you aren't going to be a one-hit wonder (though this certainly doesn't mean you should pitch seven books to a single agent at once). Just take the best work you have now and put it out there. Then, during the weeks and potential months it takes for their response to come back, keep writing on that next work and keep honing your craft.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt

Offline Richelle Mead

• Participant
  • Redhaired and Dangerous
    • View Profile
    • Richelle Mead's Official Website
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 05:06:07 AM »
Definitely keep writing more if that's where your gut sends you.  Some agents will use that as a selling point when pitching your book to publishers.  It is generally recommended that you have some sort of solid resolution at the end of your book.  You can still leave tons of loose ends, but definitely make sure there's a conclusion of sorts.
FROSTBITE - Available now from Penguin/Razorbill!
STORM BORN - Coming August 08 from Kensington
Visit my site for more info: http://www.richellemead.com

Offline Josh

• Participant
  • Scriptor dementis
    • View Profile
    • Through a glass, darkly
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 02:06:08 PM »
Sequels (or even just second and third books. They don't have to be ones connected to your first one) are great ways to show that you can keep on writing beyond that first hit, and that you are dedicated to improving your craft, developing new stories, and--most of all--that you enjoy it. Agents and editors will certainly appreciate a writer who pushes and motivates themselves, as it makes less work on their part and makes them more confident that you will actually come through with what you promise. The one extreme here is, when you do get an agent or editor interested in one story, be careful not to then go OMGnowImustgiveyouthemallatonce!HERE!..-dumps eight manuscripts on agents head-

Agent then scurries into nearest deep dark hole and weeps.

Er..or something like that.
JRVogt.com
The Fiction Writer's Virtual Toolbox - 150+ links to tools and resources for writers
Follow on Twitter @JRVogt